Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray, and why the old-school is timeless

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the face of it, Glenn Murray is a throwback.

A balding 34-year-old target man who worked his way up the leagues, from Cumbrian non-league side Workington Reds to dinking the ball past David de Gea in the Premier League for Brighton & Hove Albion.

The only way in which he differs from the archetypal English centre-forward is that he doesn’t give off the impression of being a studs-up, all-elbows brute.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2BJ8GH3

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Cheers for that. A nice little read over a morning cuppa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The point Glenn makes about CH giving the players who are already here a decent crack shows just how good Hughton’s man management skills are and why we have such a close knit squad. The newbies will be given their chance and may be difficult to move, if they live up to expectations, but even they seem to be behind Hughton’s philosophy on new players, from the interviews I’ve read. Togetherness is really important for lesser PL clubs like us, if we are to survive.

I am really interested in how Fulham get on this season having already replaced most of the first team players that got them promoted with expensive newcomers. That has to cause some resentment from the old players surely. They haven’t even been given a chance so far, not such great man management and likely to cause rifts imo.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Class is permanent.
Murray has always had that speed of thought and lightness of touch that all good goalscorers possess. He is well balanced and reads the game well. From his earliest days with us, you could see that he was a natural. He would glide into positions to deftly flick the ball home. Murray doesn't snatch at too many chances. At the last moment everything slows, there is no panic. Calmness and confidence kick in. It is the essence of goalscoring. Murray and all the other regular scorers ( Kane/Aguerro/Salah etc ) have it. They can't explain it. Its part of their make-up, the ability to stay cool under moments of pressure. They have practised their art endlessly, sticking the ball in the back of the net but what they can't practise is that instinct to be where the opportunity will arise and to stay in control when that chance comes.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If our Glen was born in Umbria and not Cumbria, and was an attacante called Gianluca Murrayeno he would be lauded as a football superstar, and playing for a 'big' team

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You don't need pace if you instinctively know where the ball is going to be in the box and have a predatory finish.

And if you've got the work ethic to close down defenders when not in possession, that's pretty much all that's needed.

Glenn Murray fits all of the above categories.

He is the thinking man's striker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the face of it, Glenn Murray is a throwback.

A balding 34-year-old target man who worked his way up the leagues, from Cumbrian non-league side Workington Reds to dinking the ball past David de Gea in the Premier League for Brighton & Hove Albion.

The only way in which he differs from the archetypal English centre-forward is that he doesn’t give off the impression of being a studs-up, all-elbows brute.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2BJ8GH3
Starts with a lie, ends with a lie.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I have always rated Glenn - he is an excellent servant to the team and long may it continue. Hope he reads this thread and therefore puts 2 (or maybe 3) past Liverpool today.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Archetypal English centre forwards are rare breed these days, given the different managerial styles in the PL nowadays.
Cheers for that read:thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It doesn't mention one of his key attributes - the ability to 'win' free kicks, whether he has really been fouled or not. That does more to relieve pressure than controlling a pass.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
One aspect of being in Premier League that perhaps I hadn't' foreseen is the sheer number of Albion related articles that now keep popping up.

I am enjoying all this focus on our football club. Long may it continue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn't mention one of his key attributes - the ability to 'win' free kicks, whether he has really been fouled or not. That does more to relieve pressure than controlling a pass.

Do they offset the number he gives away?

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
One of his major qualities for us is his link up play. He’ll often receive the ball and hold off one or two defenders and play in one of the midfielders. Sometimes this will be a wide player going past him or it’s laid off to Gross, Stephens or Propper and then it goes wide. I’ve noticed the intelligence and technique behind some of these passes. Against Man Utd he was hugely instrumental in setting up attacking play. Sometimes it’s quick if players join in numbers and there’s space. He’s also got the ability to be creator playing a one touch pass or not taking the easy option to play a player through. Add that to the more noticeable physical slow hold up and then win a free kick to take pressure off and we get a massive contributor to the team’s creative side. A side of Glenn’s game which perhaps goes a little under the radar because of his goal scoring. Like a fine wine Glenn seems to get better with age. I think we’ll see more of him up top this season than any of the new strikers. He’s clearly determined to hold onto his shirt and that’s brilliant for us

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The point Glenn makes about CH giving the players who are already here a decent crack shows just how good Hughton’s man management skills are and why we have such a close knit squad. The newbies will be given their chance and may be difficult to move, if they live up to expectations, but even they seem to be behind Hughton’s philosophy on new players, from the interviews I’ve read. Togetherness is really important for lesser PL clubs like us, if we are to survive.

I am really interested in how Fulham get on this season having already replaced most of the first team players that got them promoted with expensive newcomers. That has to cause some resentment from the old players surely. They haven’t even been given a chance so far, not such great man management and likely to cause rifts imo.

Indeed: in fact I reckon that 'ability to gel with the existing squad' is a prerequisite to all of CH's new hires. It doesn't matter how skilled or bargain price they are... if they don't have that 'team togetherness' attribute then they won't be considered for hiring [he could make the odd mistake of course!]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You don't need pace if you instinctively know where the ball is going to be in the box and have a predatory finish.

And if you've got the work ethic to close down defenders when not in possession, that's pretty much all that's needed.

Glenn Murray fits all of the above categories.

He is the thinking man's striker.

He's basically a poor mans Teddy Sheringham. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’ve watched his goal back about a dozen times and absolutely love the way he checks and dummies Lindelöf, who has no idea where he is, to get goal side and hope that the ball comes in.

If only our wingers could consistently whip it into that space with that pace he’d score buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I’ve watched his goal back about a dozen times and absolutely love the way he checks and dummies Lindelöf, who has no idea where he is, to get goal side and hope that the ball comes in.

If only our wingers could consistently whip it into that space with that pace he’d score buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray, and most strikers, would thrive from balls being played in low behind the central defenders. It's something that having inverted wingers means we don't do very often.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Murray, and most strikers, would thrive from balls being played in low behind the central defenders. It's something that having inverted wingers means we don't do very often.

Last weekend it was very noticeable the low front post crosses when the option arose. There was one that Bong put in, that looked poor, but it Glenn that was apologising to Bong for not being there. A good example of the work on tactics that is put in during the week.

Glenn must be a nightmare to play against, being extremely physical against big defenders whilst also winning so many free kicks. If you look at Barnes at Burnley, I am sure he learnt a lot off Glenn during his formative years at Withdean. Just a shame that Glenn had those 4 years 'off' :down:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can't think of too many Prem players who are similar and think we'll have a very different look and style all round when he doesn't play.

Would be great if he could pass on some tips to the 2 behind him too or at least if they could learn a trick or two by watching him in training.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here