Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - Sunderland Till I Die!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyone binged on this yet (came out today)

The new chief exec is absolutely brilliant value

not as many baddies in this series. Most of the players seem like decent guys and even McGeady seems to have knuckled down. Clearly a huge culture change from the total shit show of the previous season

the chairman has all the right intentions but perhaps lets his heart rule his head at times, and the chief exec is comedy GOLD

Just started on the first episode. You're right, the chief exec is absolutely top drawer. They were even playing the music from The Apprentice in his first marketing meeting as he was throwing out some bullshit buzzwords :lolol:

I'm going to enjoy this.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The most obvious problem I saw was the useless CEO who seemed to have very little urgency about anything he did apart from when he used his fancy coffee machine

Or using the cryo machine for his back....

Seriously though what were the medical team
Doing if the cryo machine was never being used?!

Love it when Methven was talking to the comms team and said how crap the pre match music was and that it needed modernising so he whips out his Now this is what I call trance 1999 album. Way to show that you’re down with the kids charlie... What a tool.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Charlie at the Checkatrade trophy final was top drawer

his wife asks him to calm down and he bellows "THERE'S TOO MUCH RIDING ON THIS"

is there? it's the Checkatrade Trophy final....how much is actually riding on it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Love it when Methven was talking to the comms team and said how crap the pre match music was and that it needed modernising so he whips out his Now this is what I call trance 1999 album. Way to show that you’re down with the kids charlie... What a tool.

That bit felt SO much like it was from an episode of The Apprentice. Painful. Quite David Brent as well.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Only up to the January transfer window so far, I wonder if they'll get promoted ???
The new owners at least seem to get what owning a football club is about and I liked the part where the directors, players and fans all joined in to replace seats. Methven definitely comes across as a bit David Brent but helps to make it entertaining.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Methven comes over as a complete **** tbf. Watched it all in one go last night. Thought the Sunderland fans came across as very entitled in a way they didn't in the first series. I loved the way they weren't spending more than 1.25m on Will Grigg and suddenly its £3m rising to £4m for a journeyman who happens to have a good song. It does a very good job of showing how hard it is to run a club properly and well. There is an awful lot out of your control and so much blame attached to the board and the Manager when often it is not even in their control let alone their fault.

It seems pretty clear there that Mata stays Sunderland probably get promoted and that at least from the games sampled they had as many defending problems as striker ones though. It's well made and the fans leaving Fleetwood remind me of so many Albion games back in the day...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Worth watching but Series two is not the delicious car crash of series one.
Charlie was good value but the manager is too polished to be funny and the new owner a bit dull.
They could have been more considerate and employed 100% idiots like in series one.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Watched all of series 2 this week and have to agree with some on here that the Sunderland fans come across as being very entitled. Why oh why would you want to own a football club if you are not polluted with money. Donald and Methven do not deserve the criticism of those fans. And why is it only the North East that supposedly understand the passion of Football. Are us Southerners too arty farty?

Brilliantly made series and hope to see a 3rd one with more misery for them. The fans anger after the Fleetwood game brought me right back to 'the days'.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Only signed up for Netflix yesterday, nearly finished the first series.

Extreme schadenfreude.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I ploughed through the final 3 episodes last night. I really thought it was their year. When they signed Will Grigg for a mere 3mil it looked like they'd romp home. I really didn't see that ending coming.

The producers of the show probably can't believe their luck. Two seasons of absolute quality entertainment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Enjoyed it

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
selling Maja for £1m and signing Grigg for £3m was a ludicrously poor piece of business

Think they would have gone up had they kept Maja and then so what if he leaves? Maybe he would have stayed if they'd gone up

It was clear that the manager wasn't that fussed about signing Grigg but the Chairman had such a raging hard on for him he just wouldn't really listen to reason

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Grigg for 3 million and he's scored a total of 5. And one of them was a penalty.

Needless to say, they never sang that song about him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
selling Maja for £1m and signing Grigg for £3m was a ludicrously poor piece of business

Think they would have gone up had they kept Maja and then so what if he leaves? Maybe he would have stayed if they'd gone up

It was clear that the manager wasn't that fussed about signing Grigg but the Chairman had such a raging hard on for him he just wouldn't really listen to reason

Yeah they should have kept maja but he wanted out.
To be fair to the chairman, he was trying to do the right thing in signing a striker. If he hadn’t signed a striker on deadline day, then they’d have had no-one.
Chairman came across as a decent guy, albeit naive.
Lots of people At Sunderland saying what not to do, but few coming up With good ideas on what to do . Probably why they’ve ended up playing the likes of Lincoln and Wycombe.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Good watch, especially knowing the ending like with the Leeds one. A lot of classic stereotyping throughout though: North East = salt of the earth, down to earth, greatest most passionate football fans, whilst 'Southerners' basically get reduced to soft, pompous Londoners. :rolleyes:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm only catching up now, but the cheating by the editor is distracting. They're playing at Norwich then later at Brentford and yet Grayson is clearly reacting with their home ground in the background. Then they're playing on a Saturday afternoon and some of the crowd reaction shots are from a night game. Poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here