Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Basketball fans...

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Please help with some advice about watching basketball in New York.

Mrs Browning and Roland Jnr are planning a trip to NY in late October and would like to take in a game. Looking online it is easy to get confused and very hard to tell about the quality of seats and the security of the various sites selling them...

Does anyone have decent knowledge to pass on? Where best to buy from and how much to pay? How good an experience is it to go to a game?

It might be that the big match is beyond budget. Would watching the university team (St Johns Red Storm?) be an option or perhaps even harder to get tickets for? Their stadium holds 5,600 and they have a preseason Exhibition match on Nov 1st...

Any help gratefully received.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
It is definitely worth seeing a game. Although maybe look into seeing the Brooklyn Nets, tickets should be cheaper than seeing the Knicks.

I'm not sure if online is cheaper but you used to be able to buy them from several places around Times Square, for example I remember buying some at the ticket office in the Marriott off TS.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
It is definitely worth seeing a game. Although maybe look into seeing the Brooklyn Nets, tickets should be cheaper than seeing the Knicks.

I'm not sure if online is cheaper but you used to be able to buy them from several places around Times Square, for example I remember buying some at the ticket office in the Marriott off TS.
Thanks. My naive Google search of "New York basketball tickets" did not bring up anything about the Brooklyn Nets so that is a big help for a start...

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
And explains why the Knicks v Nets game on 29/10 seems tricky to get tickets for....[emoji2]

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
And explains why the Knicks v Nets game on 29/10 seems tricky to get tickets for....[emoji2]

Yeah might struggle with that. You could try the Barclays center website. What dates are they away for? 28th & 31st the Nets play at home.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There will be an authorised reeling site, Stubhub or similar, and season ticket holders will put their tickets on there for resale. With so many games in a season there are always tickets up for sale.

For a one off game, as much as being courtside would be great, sitting higher up will still give you the experience at a significantly better price.

I’ve used the resale sites before to see the Yankees and Orlando City (MLS) and will use the same later this week to see the Giants in SF.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mentions, Stubhub is worth a sniff. I bought MLB tickets in Minneapolis the day before a game via the Stubhub app on my phone, didn't have to go anywhere for them. Once you've paid, they send the ticket to your phone, where you can just get the barcode scanned when you go in (well, that was how it worked with the baseball, I assume it'd be the same for basketball).

Horrible sport though basketball. One of the few I think I'd never pay to go and see.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mentions, Stubhub is worth a sniff. I bought MLB tickets in Minneapolis the day before a game via the Stubhub app on my phone, didn't have to go anywhere for them. Once you've paid, they send the ticket to your phone, where you can just get the barcode scanned when you go in (well, that was how it worked with the baseball, I assume it'd be the same for basketball).

Horrible sport though basketball. One of the few I think I'd never pay to go and see.

Has your position on takeaway pizza softened at all yet?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Has your position on takeaway pizza softened at all yet?

Its not so much the takeaway pizza that is offensive (although it IS still basically just glorified cheese on toast). Its the pizza in Italian restaurants, and places like Pizza Hut that I truly struggle with. What they charge - for what you get - wow. Pizza IS just lazy freezer food, and yet you're paying serious money for it, as if you're actually buying a proper decent meal, and not just some dough, ketchup, cheese, and a few scraps of processed meat chucked on top.

In answer to your question - no, not really.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Seat Geek is typically cheaper than Stub Hub so might be worth a look

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I knew you would pop up on a basketball thread, I'm not having a pop it's all tastes and opinions but I watch basketball and it's a great fun night out, whereas I try and watch baseball on TV and I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes, to me it's a bloke with a stick that keeps missing the ball while the geezer luzzing it keeps spitting everywhere.
But I have never seen it live and you, I assume, have never watched a top basketball game live either.
So, OP, try and get to top game and you will have a great time.
BTW I agree with Pizza and Yeovil.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I got my baseball tickets from Ticketmaster a good while in advance and they were delivered the same way (sent to my phone the day before the game). It’s a great system. Are there any events that can do this in the U.K. yet?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I use stubhub but use the .com and not .co.uk.

Bear in mind the Knicks and Nets are both pretty rubbish and tickets can usually be quite cheap.

If it has to be basketball go to MSG to see the Knicks - way better than the Barclays Center.

Personally I’d go and see the Rangers. Hockey is a million times better than basketball on so many levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I use stubhub but use the .com and not .co.uk.

Bear in mind the Knicks and Nets are both pretty rubbish and tickets can usually be quite cheap.

If it has to be basketball go to MSG to see the Knicks - way better than the Barclays Center.

Personally I’d go and see the Rangers. Hockey is a million times better than basketball on so many levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. "Hockey" = ice hockey...yes? Good suggestion - Roly Jnr has some nascent liking for basketball but ice hockey could be a great alternative.

Presume they are in season but maybe fewer games so less chance of home fixture during relatively small window...?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Took in Memphis v New York whilst visiting Elvis. Unbelievable experience ruined only by a group of tall blokes knocking a ball about in-between the entertainment. How those Yanks get to eat so much popcorn amases me as well. WARNING take ID. I forgot and had a very dry night despite being and looking over 60!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
There’s a site called Seat Geek, they pool all the tickets for sale from every site and then give them a 1-100 rating depending on how good value they are. Well worth checking out and a quick search online should be able to find you a code for $20+ off your first order. A few youtubers I watch have them as sponsors with money off deals for first time customers

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Thanks for this. "Hockey" = ice hockey...yes? Good suggestion - Roly Jnr has some nascent liking for basketball but ice hockey could be a great alternative.

Presume they are in season but maybe fewer games so less chance of home fixture during relatively small window...?

Yep - never call it ice hockey in NA - its just hockey!

Hockey and basketball seasons run pretty much concurrently. Knicks and Rangers take it in turns to play at MSG. If you are in NY towards the end of the year you can pretty much guarantee there will either be an NHL or NBA game to see.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I knew you would pop up on a basketball thread, I'm not having a pop it's all tastes and opinions but I watch basketball and it's a great fun night out, whereas I try and watch baseball on TV and I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes, to me it's a bloke with a stick that keeps missing the ball while the geezer luzzing it keeps spitting everywhere.
But I have never seen it live and you, I assume, have never watched a top basketball game live either.
So, OP, try and get to top game and you will have a great time.
BTW I agree with Pizza and Yeovil.

I knew you'd pop up with your wise words of wisdom.

My reputation would seem to precede me. Are my basketball, pizza and Yeovil rants all that commonplace then :lolol:

You're right in that I've never attended a basketball match. Whenever I've seen it on TV, the incessant squeaking of the trainers on the court absolutely drives me to distraction, its like a constant cacophony of fingernails being scraped down a blackboard. Added to that, the major downside of basketball is that its too easy to score. There is very little challenge in a 7ft freak plopping a ball through a hoop, hence every game ending up 110-112 or 103-106. And its only 48 minutes ! Its a piece of piss. The surprise is when a team DOESN'T score. Sorry, but thats just points diarrhoea, there's no rarity value to it. "Hooray! they scored" "Hooray! They scored back". "Hooray! Look, they scored again!"

Still, each to their own. I can certainly see why baseball bores most people shitless, but after investing some time in finding out about it and understanding it, I love it. I can't do that with basketball though, cos of the squeaky thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here