Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR to feature in Albion's Carabao Cup tie v Southampton

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One of four ties where it will be used, so multiple matches (three) on Tuesday night for first time in this country. Referee Andre Marriner, and VAR 'expert', it's Stuart 'ghost goal' Attwell.

To assist ref only in goals, penalty/no penalty decisions, direct red cards shown or not shown, and mistaken identity. Original decision only changed if clear and obvious error, we'll be kept up to speed on the screens.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didnt we have VAR for the Palace FA Cup match last year ?

Yes. Far from first time in this country. First time in the Carabao cup? Maybe but surprised the final didn't have it last year at lelast

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ref-VAR-180715-Ge-1050.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One of four ties where it will be used, so multiple matches (three) on Tuesday night for first time in this country. Referee Andre Marriner, and VAR 'expert', it's Stuart 'ghost goal' Attwell.

To assist ref only in goals, penalty/no penalty decisions, direct red cards shown or not shown, and mistaken identity. Original decision only changed if clear and obvious error, we'll be kept up to speed on the screens.

not offsides?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:wozza::shootself:facepalm:

Multiple...for the first time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
But are we now going to have the Lino's being told not to give offside and leave it to the Var ref? Not sure I like that idea.

As in the WC, if it’s marginal then they play on and review after if a goal has been scored.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Best referee in England in charge.

We had this for Palace in the cup, right? And it was used a total of zero times?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Best referee in England in charge.

We had this for Palace in the cup, right? And it was used a total of zero times?

The VAR was used in that match to confirm Murray didn’t handle the ball and that there were no fouls or offsides in the buildup.

The RRA (Referee Review Area) was not used.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I''ve always maintained I hate VAR, but as with other technology, if it's going to be imposed on us there's not a lot we can do about it. Although I do hope it dies a death, I think there's too much being invested in the system to just scrap it now. Guess we can only hope that it does improve the game over time, and that VAR-related controversies are kept to a minimum (or, zero - preferably).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here