Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Old Stein war memorial vandalized

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16593846.vandals-deface-old-steine-war-memorial/?ref=mr&lp=9

Part of the memorial in the Old Steine, Brighton, was painted red and the word Palestine appears to have been partially chipped away, pictured below.

The memorial is dedicated to the service men and woman of Brighton who gave their lives in the two world wars and features war heroes’ home countries.

A spokesman for The Royal British Legion said: “We are shocked and saddened to hear of this incident.

“War memorials and graves honour the memory of our Armed Forces and deserve to be treated with the utmost respect.”

The Brighton War Memorial was added to the National Heritage List for England in 1999 as a Grade II structure.

Sussex Police said: “We were informed by the city council that they had been informed on August 17 that red paint had been put on the memorial in Old Steine, Brighton, and part of the surface stonework had been damaged. The date of the incident is not known.”

Attachments

• vand.jpg
    vand.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 654

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've always found the first four lines of the above to have a beautiful melancholy poetry to them.

Something about the singular (and very specific) 'Sea' in amongst the gentle repetition.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why is it certainly right? Why would 'lefties' be trying to erase the word Palestine?

I did not say 'certainly right'. I said 'almost'.

I also do not believe all lefties are losers but it doesn't take much nous to realise that in this case 'lefty losers' are the most likely culprits as the left has traditionally objected to the Jewish state.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

I also do not believe all lefties are losers but it doesn't take much nous to realise that in this case 'lefty losers' are the most likely culprits as the left has traditionally objected to the Jewish state.

So they would object, by trying to erase the word Palestine? Yeah ok mate.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Can you think of a better explanation? I voted Labour in the last election so I am clearly not speaking with an agenda.

Yes I can think of a better explanation. It is unlikely to be 'lefties'. They would not be trying to remove the word Palestine if objecting to the State of Israel.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes I can think of a better explanation. It is unlikely to be 'lefties'. They would not be trying to remove the word Palestine if objecting to the State of Israel.

Haha, that may be right and I will whoosh myself there. :ffsparr:

But whoever did it is a .... and on that we can agree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
lefty losers no doubt

Not entirely convinced that 'lefties' would be trying to erase the word Palestine.
Whoever did it. *****.

Why is it certainly right? Why would 'lefties' be trying to erase the word Palestine?

I don't think you can guess the motive, without knowing the culprits. Given that the memorial is to honour British service personnel who lost their lives fighting in both wars, it could be that the miscreants are protesting against 'our' actions in Palestine during that period, rather than simply attacking the written existence of 'Palestine'.

Even if it IS a protest against British actions in Palestine, it still gets you no closer to identifying the 'side', given that we were fighting the Arab insurgents (to facilitate mass immigration of Jews) around the time of WWI, and fighting the Jewish (Irgun and others) groups who objected to British-imposed immigration limits, by the end of WWII.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's clearly person(s) unlknown who are making a point about the British activity in Palestine.

Probably relevant if made at the time but a dickish action on a memorial that won't win many friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here