Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] National League v LOWER League Two football.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
For my sins i either watch Leek or Macclesfield Town as for Macc about 10/12 games last season and a few the previous an frankly top half of the N/L is far better than lower League Two IMHO. However up to you.:bigwave:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I watched Macc play Aldershot a few years back while working up there. The quality was poor even then (National League game). I mean no disrespect, because they were a lovely club. Problem is that any talent at that level is swooped on, so any players with a bright future ahead of them are pulled away and into the higher leagues. This obviously means clubs at the lower end of the EFL/Nat'l League are not much better than a half-decent grassroots side.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Seen last two home games at Macclesfield against Grimsby and Cheltenham with both clubs having had a tough time of it over the last year or two very little football played and yet when top of the N/L many of the top half of the N/L sides played football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry, I really don't think it is at all. There are some desperate games on in the national league. Perhaps similar, certainly not better

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it's the same at any level throughout football, and all down to the qulity of players and the route that the manager/coaching staff want their team to take.

It's no different in the Premier League or Championship, some teams prefer to play a passing game, some prefer to hit it long.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Well it's interesting that Jordan Maguire-Drew got sent to National League Wrexham, rather than someone in L1 or L2 - particularly after having some decent loan spells at both NL and L2. The club must feel Wrexham's style will aid his development best, whatever the standard around them? :shrug:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I live 10 mins from Sutton United and on occasion do go and watch them.
They are flying quite high since having the FA Cup draw against Arsenal a few years back having invested those profits back into the club. They are a well run outfit with a couple of lads that could easily play at a higher level.
The overall quality of football isn't great but it's quite refreshing to go and watch a game with a fairly neutral opinion

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Well it's interesting that Jordan Maguire-Drew got sent to National League Wrexham, rather than someone in L1 or L2 - particularly after having some decent loan spells at both NL and L2. The club must feel Wrexham's style will aid his development best, whatever the standard around them? :shrug:

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I'd be surprised to see JMD ever making a first team appearance for us. He's nearly twenty one, and hasn't even been called upon for cameos in the League Cup that I can think of (unlike, say, Molumby or Connolly or- hopefully- Gyokeres). He didn't impress at Lincoln or Coventry, though they loved him at Dagenham and things seem to be going well for him at Wrexham. I imagine he'll eventually end up being sold to some team at that level, where he'll do OK and maybe turn a few heads in years to come, but without ever getting close to Championship level.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I'd be surprised to see JMD ever making a first team appearance for us. He's nearly twenty one, and hasn't even been called upon for cameos in the League Cup that I can think of (unlike, say, Molumby or Connolly or- hopefully- Gyokeres). He didn't impress at Lincoln or Coventry, though they loved him at Dagenham and things seem to be going well for him at Wrexham. I imagine he'll eventually end up being sold to some team at that level, where he'll do OK and maybe turn a few heads in years to come, but without ever getting close to Championship level.

You may well be right, but I still think he's got the talent to play at a higher level. Maybe not where we now, but certainly L1 and possible Championship. Really needs a stellar season with Wrexham though, given his age. It would be fascinating to hear the club's ideal pathway for young talent - clearly Tony wants us to develop players who wlll eventually play for us, but the gap up to Premier League makes it that much harder. Maybe some will simply be good little earners, funding the transfer piggy bank ... :lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Go to the Nye Camp quite regularly to see the Rocks.

Always really enjoy going and there can be some quite refreshing aggro between fans during localish derbies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here