Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton masterclass

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Love this Coaches' Voice site which analyses match tactics in detail: https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactics-brighton-3-manchester-united-2/ - perfect for someone like me who hasn't got much of a clue about the minutiae of football tactics.

Quote "They set up in an orthodox 4-4-2 formation out of possession and delivered a masterclass in how to defend against a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1"
Thanks - genuinely enlightened and will be reading this post match every week. Very interesting for us tactically inept. Although the authors can’t be that good as they didn’t notice like our NSC brothers that 1) Bong is sh@t and 2) March should be in the championship.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really good read, cheers for that. Interesting they picked up on the partnership between the FBs and Wingers - maybe this influenced selection too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must be different to most as I thought that it was a reading that was most obvious to anybody who watched the game whether tactically minded or not, and was highlighted by both Paul Ince and Danny Murphy on MOTD2. The link between the full backs and wingers has been a feature of our success for ages and a point that I posted about early pre season when Bernardo was looking for the one twos with March which didnt come hence Bong was given the role against United. Montoya just slotted into Bruno's position well.

Perhaps my expectation after the praising of the article was too high and I found it a bit like reporting on a chef making mashed potatoes.so obvious to those watching.

This is in now way decrying the performance of the team or CH in setting it up correctly.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I recently was the editor on a book chronicling the evolution of football tactics from the Hungary team of the early fifties, to Antonio Conte's Chelsea. Our main two non-textual sources were Spielverlagerung and Tifo Football, always find both to be spot on.

The OPs link is also great, really great to hear an in-depth analysis of how good our performance was tactically in isolation to how bad United were.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I must be different to most as I thought that it was a reading that was most obvious to anybody who watched the game whether tactically minded or not, and was highlighted by both Paul Ince and Danny Murphy on MOTD2. The link between the full backs and wingers has been a feature of our success for ages and a point that I posted about early pre season when Bernardo was looking for the one twos with March which didnt come hence Bong was given the role against United. Montoya just slotted into Bruno's position well.

Perhaps my expectation after the praising of the article was too high and I found it a bit like reporting on a chef making mashed potatoes.so obvious to those watching.

This is in now way decrying the performance of the team or CH in setting it up correctly.

https://www.chatelaine.com/recipes/mashed-potato-recipe/

You're welcome BG

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

This :moo:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Oh man. I kinda agree with BG:eek:

It's nicely written but it's not overly informative beyond the basics.

It is, however, very nice to have an independent, dispassionate if fairly simple analysis of the Albion and their opponents, particularly when the opponents are a monster that usually consume every facet of the debate/match analysis.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Bit different from when i was playing , pre match 4-5 Cigarettes , 2 bottles of lucozade , (the stuff that tastes like bleach ) not the girly sugar coated stuff of today , a swig of Charger or Kestrel during warm up then off you go , dive in chase the ball everywhere until something tweaked then run the line for the remaining 87 minutes .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I must be different to most
Oh don't worry, you are.
as I thought that it was a reading that was most obvious to anybody who watched the game whether tactically minded or not, and was highlighted by both Paul Ince and Danny Murphy on MOTD2. The link between the full backs and wingers has been a feature of our success for ages
The analysis looks at a bit more than just the link between full-back and winger, even if it wasn't exactly a thesis.

Why don't you write your tactical analysis after each game, and see if everyone thinks that's interesting and intelligent?

On second thoughts, maybe not.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh don't worry, you are.
The analysis looks at a bit more than just the link between full-back and winger, even if it wasn't exactly a thesis.

Why don't you write your tactical analysis after each game, and see if everyone thinks that's interesting and intelligent?

On second thoughts, maybe not.

Right, I've been meaning to ask this for ages but how on Earth do you do the split quote thing?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Yeah, many thanks for the link. Very interesting read [emoji106] more so than ****ing 'flaskgate'.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, I've been meaning to ask this for ages but how on Earth do you do the split quote thing?
The messages you quote have /QUOTE written at the end, inside square brackets.
Just put that earlier in the sentence, wherever you want it.
Then to start a new quote, do the same thing, but miss out the slash, so you just have QUOTE inside square brackets.
Again, finish what you're quoting with /QUOTE (inside the square brackets again).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The messages you quote have /QUOTE written at the end, inside square brackets.
Just put that earlier in the sentence, wherever you want it.

Something like this?

Then to start a new quote, do the same thing, but miss out the slash, so you just have QUOTE inside square brackets.

I think I have the hang of it!

Again, finish what you're quoting with /QUOTE (inside the square brackets again).

Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here