Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the beginning of the end for sky sports?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45248695

I would rather pay £10 a game to watch the Albion online than buy a subscription sports channel and watch teams I'm not bothered about. If you couldn't make it to a game wouldn't you?

Interesting, sure it'll appeal to many but for me the Sky sub covers a lot more than Albion games - I watch a lot of other football, plus cricket, golf etc. Also not sure this will extend to the PL any time soon given this is where the vast majority of the TV money and global appeal is. Other issue is if your team is on Sky, you'd still need the subscription to watch it (or find a PPV option) anyway.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It's only for games that Sky are showing via the red button anyway so the answer is probably no.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If this proves successful. how long before the clubs take control of their individual matches and stream via the clubsite, thereby making the differential between the top 6 and the rest even larger, and £10 becomes £30.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
With Eurosport and BT Sport on Virgin,my Sky Sports subscription covers just about everything else worth watching.Good value,plus the mobile app.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting, sure it'll appeal to many but for me the Sky sub covers a lot more than Albion games - I watch a lot of other football, plus cricket, golf etc. Also not sure this will extend to the PL any time soon given this is where the vast majority of the TV money and global appeal is. Other issue is if your team is on Sky, you'd still need the subscription to watch it (or find a PPV option) anyway.

Exactly. If it was JUST football I wouldn't have Sky at all as I fervently disagree with what they've done to kick off times. I got my subscription when they hoovered up cricket and the NFL. Though being pissy about Sky does feel a little weird now we're in the PL, since it is undoubtedly them that have paid for the likes of Locadia, Jahanbaksh (sp?), Montoya et al.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In reality what this means is further fragmentation of televised football.
In future, in order to follow your club on TV you will probably end up needing 3-4 subscriptions which will end up costing more than it would have done to pay for one who had a monopoly previously, paying for loads of games you may not be interested in.

Ultimately both the EFL and PL (and therefore Sky & BT) seem to be headed towarded the modern trend to cater for those with no attention span and allow for dipping in and out as the whim takes them. There is no sense of catering for those who have a focused desire to "support a club" rather than just "watch football".

Until the PL force us to play our games in the Americas or the Far East to pander to those audiences I will continue to consume my football live.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For now. What about next time the rights are up for grabs. Will facebook get involved? Will they be able to outbid sky?
Probably but I don't see what they have done now as any different from Now TV offering a day rate for Sky Sports allowing you to watch games. Showing all midweek games is new to Sky so no-one subscribed to them for that service, therefore no-one will unsubscribe from them to pay £10 a game to see just these matches.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Or if you use Reddit and are a fan of both, say, "soccer" and "streams" you can watch all the football you like for free.
You really can't. Good luck finding a stream of Doncaster v Shrewsbury tonight. Every knows that most televised games are available on varying quality illegal sources but that doesn't have any bearing on this discussion.

D

Deleted member 22389

At the moment every company is paying way over the odds for the rights to screen football, if the club took control and steamed their own matches I don't think they would get the same money back as they do now. The money is guaranteed and that is the difference, unless I am wrong.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You really can't. Good luck finding a stream of Doncaster v Shrewsbury tonight. Every knows that most televised games are available on varying quality illegal sources but that doesn't have any bearing on this discussion.

Well yeah, maybe "all the football you like" was a bit hyperbolic.

But, in my experience, if a game is being televised somewhere in the world you will find a stream of it over on Reddit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fans will be able to view a game via their team's digital platform iFollow, used by 58 of the 72 EFL clubs.

LOL, good luck with that shower of shit.

This - Derby left that platform 12 months ago and the improvement particularly in Video coverage is absolutely huge - All of our games are available to overseas viewers (bar those on Sky), the coverage, commentary, graphics, pre/half/full time analysis is sooooo much better.....

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
For now. What about next time the rights are up for grabs. Will facebook get involved? Will they be able to outbid sky?

Any of the tech giants could outbid SKY/BT if they so wanted. Amazon have bought PL rights for twenty matches in the 2019/20 season and the following two seasons (testing the water I guess)

Amazon will show 20 Premier League matches a season for three years from 2019, after winning one of the final two broadcast packages.

The online streaming service won the rights to show every game from the first round of midweek fixtures in December and all 10 matches on 26 December as part of a three-year deal.

The matches will be available free to Amazon Prime's UK members.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
For £10 a game I would be in, as long as it were a reliable and dependable service. I currently pay £50/year for an IPTV service and it's pretty good.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I would not pay directly for any pay to view TV, I might have a pint in a pub but more likely I would find another means of watching for free last season I only failed to see two of Brightons away games for the cost of zero

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If this proves successful. how long before the clubs take control of their individual matches and stream via the clubsite, thereby making the differential between the top 6 and the rest even larger, and £10 becomes £30.

This.

Whilst they aren’t my favourite cup of tea, the TV deal is designed to trickle down to all clubs and provide revenue throughout the game.

However, there’s an argument to say that our structure is too long a professional tail, but I certainly wouldn’t advocate changing that having been to Hereford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here