Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You're talking about middle ground between the price someone is willing to buy and the price someone is willing to sell.

bw2 was talking about how insane the over-inflated price tag is and you've suggested the only other possible alternative to slapping a prohibitively ridiculous price tag on a player is to value him at exactly what arsenal are reported to have to spend - which is a different point of discussion, but I'm sure you realise that and this is just your usual 'can't argue the point properly' subterfuge but I'll play along.

It's reasonable if you want to keep someone and they're not agitating for a move, to slap a ridiculous fee on them. A kind of 'we don't need or want to sell, so it'll have to be a ridiculous fee to tempt us' tactic. In which case 100m wouldn't be insane. But that isn't the case. Zaha is agitating for a move. He wants to go. Setting such an over-inflated price won't leave Zaha thinking 'gee, I guess Arsenal weren't really interested, I'm glad palace like me I'm gonna give my all for them instead', it will leave him thinking 'That was clearly never going to be reached, you're holding me hostage, I've given my all for this club, I've stunted my own development and missed out on the further development european football would provide me long enough, it's time for me to move on and if you won't help me, why should I help you, I'm too good for this place.'

60m might be more realistic, and is still (supposedly) prohibitive for Arsenal. It achieves the same thing (prices the only willing buyer out), while also seeming like you're in touch with reality and not trying to force a player to stay with you when he wants to go, it gives the player doubt about the potential buying team's desire.

While this is true, Haha should not have signed a new contract if he was wannaway. You either want to stay or want to go... if you commit to staying, then suck it up. Totally get why CPFC have set a ridiculous valuation... he signed a new contract last year so is going nowhere without a massive payoff.

It seems Haha (and/or his agent) is the only one who doesn't understand this.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
While this is true, Haha should not have signed a new contract if he was wannaway. You either want to stay or want to go... if you commit to staying, then suck it up. Totally get why CPFC have set a ridiculous valuation... he signed a new contract last year so is going nowhere without a massive payoff.

I would respectively suggest that you don't understand the power modern footballers have (over the clubs)... I don't agree with it, but that is how it is... Mr P will soon be regretting having a super sulky (unbelievably, more than usual!!) want-away p1ssed off player on his hands...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Don't think it's so much about a payoff for Mr Tumble, I think they're more concerned that losing Mr T along with WanB could spell the end of the takeover, must boost Zaha's confidence no end!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I don't see why selling 1or 2 players would mean that prospective buyers of the club will pull out. What owners only buy a club due to existing player(s)?
If they get £100m for the two players, the club will either cost them more, as there's £100m+ sitting in the bank or more likely it will cost them less as the existing owners have raided the piggy bank.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't think it's so much about a payoff for Mr Tumble, I think they're more concerned that losing Mr T along with WanB could spell the end of the takeover, must boost Zaha's confidence no end!

I don't see why selling 1or 2 players would mean that prospective buyers of the club will pull out. What owners only buy a club due to existing player(s)?
If they get £100m for the two players, the club will either cost them more, as there's £100m+ sitting in the bank or more likely it will cost them less as the existing owners have raided the piggy bank.

If selling 2 players for a big profit scuppers the take-over, that suggests that the buyers see Zaha (& W-B) as the only viable assets at the club.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

What we don't know is what is going on behind the scenes, if certain promises were made about investment in the squad, or other areas (training ground, new stand etc..), not being met, and then he sees other talented players walking, he might feel that any ambition would be better fulfilled elsewhere.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

To understand that you need to appreciate that two of Palaces major investors want out and Parish has to find 200 million for that plus attract more mugs...sorry...serious investors to replace them. Add to that the fact that AWBs new agent also represents tumble and five other first team players so has massive power over SP and his plans. If we believe the £100 million refurb of Selhurst and the £30 million for the academy/ training g facility then it all starts to look a bit precarious. I believe that Wilf is absolutely critical to Palace staying out of trouble and no-one will invest in a club heading for relegation.

It’s unfortunate for Wilf that he can’t play his football where he wants but his boss has painted himself into a corner so can’t afford to match his players ambition.

If Wilf decides to go balls out for a move rather than accept his fate then things up the road could go seriously Pete Tong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To understand that you need to appreciate that two of Palaces major investors want out and Parish has to find 200 million for that plus attract more mugs...sorry...serious investors to replace them. Add to that the fact that AWBs new agent also represents tumble and five other first team players so has massive power over SP and his plans. If we believe the £100 million refurb of Selhurst and the £30 million for the academy/ training g facility then it all starts to look a bit precarious. I believe that Wilf is absolutely critical to Palace staying out of trouble and no-one will invest in a club heading for relegation.

It’s unfortunate for Wilf that he can’t play his football where he wants but his boss has painted himself into a corner so can’t afford to match his players ambition.

If Wilf decides to go balls out for a move rather than accept his fate then things up the road could go seriously Pete Tong.

One agent 6 first team players?

Is that 'normal'?
I have no idea, but it doesn't sound particularly healthy.

As you say this influx of £50m, potentially £100m, (clearly needed £150m) could go anywhere.
If it's possible to follow the money it's going to be fascinating trail.

My money's on 'can you please pay us in $$$'s'

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If selling 2 players for a big profit scuppers the take-over, that suggests that the buyers see Zaha (& W-B) as the only viable assets at the club.

agreed .... oh and a mascots eagle costume I'd say?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Is that 'normal'?

As you say this influx of £50m, potentially £100m, (clearly needed £150m) could go anywhere.

He also represents our Glenn Murray.

A legacy from his Palace days.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Is that 'normal'?

Doesn't Jorge Mendes have half the Wolves squad on his books plus the manager?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
From the Sun: this is the best description of the shitshow I’ve found.

Steve Parish fears selling Zaha could wreck his plans of finding new partners who share his long-term vision.

Cash-strapped Arsenal could not meet the asking price of £80m-plus unless they sold Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang or another star player.

And even then a deal would be hard to do because Zaha’s future is tied up with the four-way battle to buy into the South London club - despite him pleading to be allowed to leave.

Palace are under no financial pressure to sell the Ivory Coast forward after making a cash profit of £45m, rising to £50m, from the departure of Academy graduate Aaron Wan-Bissaka move to Manchester United.

Wan-Bissaka’s exit only increases Zaha’s importance and value to the club - and to potential investors.

Even if a deal were struck that gave Palace a big windfall - after giving a 25 per cent cut to former club United – it would be very difficult to replace their star man’s goals, assists and all-round influence.

Without Zaha, Roy Hodgson’s squad would look more like relegation candidates than an upwardly-mobile business to those who are considering whether to commit £350m to the transformation of the club.

UPGRADE

Buying out wantaway American investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer and other shareholders, plus clearing some debt, would require north of £200m.

The project to build a new Main Stand at Selhurst Park will cost about £100m, with the club’s Academy earmarked for a £30m upgrade.

The player’s desire to leave presents a challenge not only in Parish’s ongoing negotiations with those interested in buying into the club but also to his relationship with Zaha’s agent, Will Salthouse.

The well-connected middleman and his agency, Unique Sports Management, have a strong powerbase at Selhurst Park.

Between them, Salthouse and partners Barry Whelan and Marlon Fleischman represent five first-team players: Zaha, Andros Townsend, Cheikhou Kouyate, Jordan Ayew and Jeffrey Schlupp.

It would have been six, including Wan-Bissaka. The full back was previously represented by Jordan Sancho’s agent, Emeka Obasi, but it was Salthouse who did last week’s deal to United.

Photographs taken at United’s training base show Salthouse with Wan-Bissaka and Herve Zaha, one of Wilf’s older brothers and a football consultant for USM.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't Jorge Mendes have half the Wolves squad on his books plus the manager?

Isn't that ever so slightly different as they quite openly admit to Mendes having an actual role within Wolves?

I'm happy to be loud wrong about this.
I'm half expecting someone to say 'you do realise Mike Trusson is the agent for everyone except Groß' and this is actually a common practice, albeit rather quietly done.

But from the outside looking in it seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Is that 'normal'?

I seem to recall a post on here linking said agent with some non-to healthy business dealings ( including the one that has landed Murray in hot water with HMRC).
There were also some comments about him in some whistleblower's twitter feed

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
From the Sun: this is the best description of the shitshow I’ve found.

Steve Parish fears selling Zaha could wreck his plans of finding new partners who share his long-term vision.

Cash-strapped Arsenal could not meet the asking price of £80m-plus unless they sold Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang or another star player.

And even then a deal would be hard to do because Zaha’s future is tied up with the four-way battle to buy into the South London club - despite him pleading to be allowed to leave.

Palace are under no financial pressure to sell the Ivory Coast forward after making a cash profit of £45m, rising to £50m, from the departure of Academy graduate Aaron Wan-Bissaka move to Manchester United.

Wan-Bissaka’s exit only increases Zaha’s importance and value to the club - and to potential investors.

Even if a deal were struck that gave Palace a big windfall - after giving a 25 per cent cut to former club United – it would be very difficult to replace their star man’s goals, assists and all-round influence.

Without Zaha, Roy Hodgson’s squad would look more like relegation candidates than an upwardly-mobile business to those who are considering whether to commit £350m to the transformation of the club.

UPGRADE

Buying out wantaway American investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer and other shareholders, plus clearing some debt, would require north of £200m.

The project to build a new Main Stand at Selhurst Park will cost about £100m, with the club’s Academy earmarked for a £30m upgrade.

The player’s desire to leave presents a challenge not only in Parish’s ongoing negotiations with those interested in buying into the club but also to his relationship with Zaha’s agent, Will Salthouse.

The well-connected middleman and his agency, Unique Sports Management, have a strong powerbase at Selhurst Park.

Between them, Salthouse and partners Barry Whelan and Marlon Fleischman represent five first-team players: Zaha, Andros Townsend, Cheikhou Kouyate, Jordan Ayew and Jeffrey Schlupp.

It would have been six, including Wan-Bissaka. The full back was previously represented by Jordan Sancho’s agent, Emeka Obasi, but it was Salthouse who did last week’s deal to United.

Photographs taken at United’s training base show Salthouse with Wan-Bissaka and Herve Zaha, one of Wilf’s older brothers and a football consultant for USM.

You couldn't make it up:

Palace have loads of cash but need to sell the wantaway player Mr Tumble but can't afford to sell him otherwise the deal falls through but the agent holds all the cards and Parish isn't very good at poker. Is that right?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You couldn't make it up:

Palace have loads of cash but need to sell the wantaway player Mr Tumble but can't afford to sell him otherwise the deal falls through but the agent holds all the cards and Parish isn't very good
The rest seemed superfluous.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I seem to recall a post on here linking said agent with some non-to healthy business dealings ( including the one that has landed Murray in hot water with HMRC).
There were also some comments about him in some whistleblower's twitter feed

HMRC have dropped the criminal aspect of the investigation I saw on here the other day.

It relates to some shonky deal between Parish and Salthouse related to a chain of chicken restaurants (attractively called “dirty bird”) in London because, let’s face it , there ain’t enough Fried Chicken to be had in Croydon and Surrounds.

Any deal involving Parish has to be dodgy. It just has to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here