Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Al frescos on the seafront bought by a pub chain

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks like al frescos, the Italian restaurant that occupies the milk maid building built for the frestival of Britain in 1951 has been sold to a pub chain!

Wonder if they will keep it as a restaurant or convert it into a pub?

Always liked the food in there but it was a bit pricey.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
nice venue. only had dinner once & thought it was style over substance - looked good but a bit bland. but maybe that was a not the norm?

interesting to see what the future will hold - could be a downstairs boozer / people getting smashed outdoors in the sun - which would have a negative impact on that section of the seafront. so hopefully not

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Food always good if rather expensive. First time I ever had salted caramel ice cream was there about 9 years ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully it will turn into an overpriced and pretentious craft beer pub?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hopefully it will turn into an overpriced and pretentious craft beer pub?

Full of bearded men and women stroking their knowledgeable whiskers, nodding in their adulation of a beer having had a rotten corpse being dragged through it during fermentation, whilst supping from a vessel made from the scrotum of a red bear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nice location, OK food at best.

I had Italian clients who moved to Brighton, who rated the food at Pinocchio's, Al Fresco, Donatello's and Topolino's as having used the cheapest of ingredients, production line fayre. To their taste, pretty poor Italian food, rushed out for English punters.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Full of bearded men and women stroking their knowledgeable whiskers, nodding in their adulation of a beer having had a rotten corpse being dragged through it during fermentation, whilst supping from a vessel made from the scrotum of a red bear.
Yes I'll have a pint of that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Terrible restaurant in a stunning location.

Shame it's apparently being taken over by a chain rather than a reputable chef, but it might actually be worth visiting once this is complete.

Couldn't agree more, ate there twice both times food rather bland and very over priced

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
can't believe Brighton Council will approve a "boozer" type pub given its location next to the fabulous children's water park, the historic Bandstand and the i360. Hang on a minute, it's Brighton Council and if the price/back handers are right...……..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pierced scrotum, I think you'll find :guns:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Barrel age that and I think you’re onto a winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here