Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T Property management companies

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm currently having an issue with a property management company, and wondered if anyone else had experienced similar or could offer some advice on next steps. Essentially, I owned a flat from before I was married and was renting it out after moving in with wife. The development where the flat is located is operated by a management company, and I used to receive all letters about service charge and ground rent etc to my home address (i.e. not the flat itself). Just over a year ago, I sold the flat. At the time of the sale completing, both myself and my solicitor contacted the management company to let them know and to request that any letters regarding the property to be sent there instead of to me.

To cut a long and boring story short, the management company STILL send all of the letters regarding the property to me. This is despite me informing them more than half a dozen times by phone, email and letter that I no longer own the property. Each of those communications has been acknowledged and a promise made to remove my home address from the property's account. I've just received another today...

Anyone had similar issues, or know if there is some kind of industry body to complain to? I know it is probably not a huge issue, but it does get quite boring receiving the aggressive, chasing letters for payment of fees for a property that I no longer own.

Sages of NSC, over to you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stick them back in the letter box with your address scribbled out and 'return to sender - not at address' or something. They'll soon notice when they start having to pay for it..

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would email them once more stating you no longer have an interest in the property and you want them to delete all their records containing your personal data. Ask them to and you a reply as to when they have done this, or reasons so by they won't do it. If get no satisfaction contact the Information Commisioners Office (GDPR unit)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Send them a administration charge for the time you have spent, you are allowed to do this. Bill them @£25 p/h x how many letters/emails you have sent less the first one. 28 days payment terms.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We've got a slightly different issue regarding a property management company with the property we are currently trying to buy. There isn't one, this is causing all sorts of issues and delays with our mortgage provider. As far as I'm aware, when the estate was being built ( 8 / 9 years ago ) a number of leasehold properties have this issue where no maintenace fees or ground rent are being collected. I've now left it for my solicitor and lender to communicate with each other and leave me out of it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Send them an invoice from you for Admin costs of dealing with their correspondence. They possibly won't pay it but it should force someone to cast a ''human eye'' over your correspondence

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Send them a administration charge for the time you have spent, you are allowed to do this. Bill them @£25 p/h x how many letters/emails you have sent less the first one. 28 days payment terms.

Great minds think alike : My thoughts exactly - Fools seldome differ though

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
We've got a slightly different issue regarding a property management company with the property we are currently trying to buy. There isn't one, this is causing all sorts of issues and delays with our mortgage provider. As far as I'm aware, when the estate was being built ( 8 / 9 years ago ) a number of leasehold properties have this issue where no maintenace fees or ground rent are being collected. I've now left it for my solicitor and lender to communicate with each other and leave me out of it.

I have exactly the same scenario but luckily my flat is one of only two in a purpose built semi detached house.

The mortgage company got comfortable that no such management co. exists only because of written confirmation from my co-lease/freeholders solicitor that we don’t collect ground rent or maintenance charges and deal with any issues on an arising basis.

Not necessarily going to help your cause unless your solicitor can arrange for something similar from your co leaseholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I have exactly the same scenario but luckily my flat is one of only two in a purpose built semi detached house.

The mortgage company got comfortable that no such management co. exists only because of written confirmation from my co-lease/freeholders solicitor that we don’t collect ground rent or maintenance charges and deal with any issues on an arising basis.

Not necessarily going to help your cause unless your solicitor can arrange for something similar from your co leaseholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the reply. The builders and Freeholders ( Bovis Homes ) have confirmed to the sellers solicitors that they are indeed responsible for the maintenance of the property & estate but my lender is still not happy. As I said, I've now left it to my lender and my solicitor to sort it out between them and Bovis Homes. At the moment we are only staying with our current lender as we are porting over a part of our existing morgage and don't want to incur thousands of pounds in early settlement payments.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which reminds me, hello Mark Packwood :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here