Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] All or Nothing - Manchester City

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Don't know if there has been a thread about this already (did a quick search and didn't find anything) but I started watching this last night on Amazon prime and it looks pretty good so far after watching one episode. Very interesting to see the inner workings of a football club like that and seeing some of the smaller roles and how they affect the players, for instance the guy who works in the boot room in Man City seems to be absolutely loved by all the players and you see a bit more of a human side to these 'superstars'. Was just thinking after the turnaround from our poor performance against Watford last week to a much improved performance against United yesterday I would love to see a fly on the wall programme about us, I would love to have seen what Hughton said to the players this week to get that reaction. Like I say I've only seen one episode so far, but recommend it if you haven't seen it!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Yeah we watched the first 2 episodes last night, really interesting. And like you say - gives you a look into the human side of the superstars, and the laughs they have with the "normal" staff

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Have watched three episodes so far, and I am looking forward to catching up on the rest. Totally agree that you see a more human side to the players, and that it is winning that motivates them most of all. You also realise just how good these top managers are

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The scene where Kompany drags the bootman into the freezer with him is fantastic - that's amazing to see when you think that you're talking about the club captain getting the bootman involved and taking the time to have such a rapport with someone who, in theory, doesn't really have a role to play with the players directly. But then you see all the players hanging around the room chatting with him, and he's there in the dressing room at Stamford Bridge to celebrate the win. Then you have de Bruyne walk in after his interviews and the players, and Pep, are signing "oh Kevin de Bruyne" - amazing team spirit.

This kind of documentary would be amazing for all clubs, especially in a club which is struggling. The chance to see how players really interact with each other would be interesting, what did Liverpool's players say to Karius in the dressing room after the Champions League final? That would be amazing to see.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Yeah I totally agree would love to have seen what they said to karius I imagine it would have been along the lines of “ffs karius!” I’m watching he second episode now, guardiola does seem like a top top manager (as If his record doesn’t speak for itself). I heard there is another one coming out on Netflix about Sunderland, total contrast as it was filmed while they got relegated so reckon that will be interesting too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Only on amazon it seems :(

And yes done the free trial thing myself already.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Just use a different email address and bank card and bag yourself a new free trial [emoji106] haha I had about four trials before I ran out of cards and had to pay for it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think it’s brilliant. The Juventus one on Netflix however is so over the top, that club just exudes arrogance and entitlement.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I think it’s brilliant. The Juventus one on Netflix however is so over the top, that club just exudes arrogance and entitlement.

Yeah surprisingly Man City of all clubs seem exactly the opposite, players actually seem very grounded and its only when watching this i realised just how young they actually are, you see them go on to the pitch and absolutely dominate, but then they come off and its kinda weird to see how much pep goes out of his way to reassure them all and sort of father them a bit. Was nice to see how they all got behind David Silva when his daughter was born prematurely.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Interestingly, it is pretty good in Italian with subtitles. It is the American narrator that is terrible.

The City one, though very interesting, doesn't quite sit right with me. I think Mourinho was spot on with his comments about it and I really can't stand United so normally have no sympathy for them whatever. Conversely, there is a huge amount of lip-service paid to Liverpool. Even has a scene where Guardiola is talking about how Karius is a great keeper...

Regardless though, and as previous have said on the thread, there is something rather charming about how they present the players (especially in their day to day dealings with club staff) as humans.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Interestingly, it is pretty good in Italian with subtitles. It is the American narrator that is terrible.

The City one, though very interesting, doesn't quite sit right with me. I think Mourinho was spot on with his comments about it and I really can't stand United so normally have no sympathy for them whatever. Conversely, there is a huge amount of lip-service paid to Liverpool. Even has a scene where Guardiola is talking about how Karius is a great keeper...

Regardless though, and as previous have said on the thread, there is something rather charming about how they present the players (especially in their day to day dealings with club staff) as humans.

What did he say?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What did he say?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45236885

All really about the second episode Noisy Neighbours and the rhetoric in particular

Narrator, British actor Sir Ben Kingsley, describes it as "Guardiola versus Mourinho once more; possession versus defence; attacking football versus 'park the bus'".

Few choice quotes below;

"I think you can have a fantastic movie, respecting others. You don't need to be disrespectful."

"You know, a movie without me doesn't sell much. I needed to be there. But if they send me one of the shirts they had in the tunnel when we played there - the shirts that were saying 'we did it on derby day' - if they send me one of these shirts, I give up about the royalties."

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45236885

All really about the second episode Noisy Neighbours and the rhetoric in particular

Narrator, British actor Sir Ben Kingsley, describes it as "Guardiola versus Mourinho once more; possession versus defence; attacking football versus 'park the bus'".

Few choice quotes below;

"I think you can have a fantastic movie, respecting others. You don't need to be disrespectful."

"You know, a movie without me doesn't sell much. I needed to be there. But if they send me one of the shirts they had in the tunnel when we played there - the shirts that were saying 'we did it on derby day' - if they send me one of these shirts, I give up about the royalties."

:lolol:

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
The series seems well shot and quite compelling but is largely a PR slash brand building exercise (no discussion of where the money comes from and why). We learn it rains a lot in Manchester, Pep waves his arms a lot to make points that aren’t all together clear, and there’s a continual high 5, back slapping, supportive team ethic to get them through their ‘tough’ season.

The storyline tries to get the audience worried for City’s title ambitions with only the world’s best reserve of young talent to back up the superstars, that are cruelly picked on by lesser teams with their ‘scything’ tackles. That’s not hinsight considering it was obvious they would win from the start of last season but from a Brighton perspective, as someone that would remember the outcome of most games affecting our end of the table. Oddly I’ve zero recollection of most of their games last season since the result seemsed so uninteresting and foregone.

ep4 (spoiler alert) features the loss to Wigan in the cup that includes saves by Walton and last ditch tackle on Agüero by our forthcoming Dan Burn.

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Just spent a rainy day watching it all back to back ......very very good....especially Vincent Kompany sitting watching the game that gave city the title...

Man Utd had to lose to give City the title..

And there he was watching the game with his Father in Law who is a Utd fan complete with Father in Law wearing a Utd shirt......with Kompany accusing him of living in the past..

A series worth watching.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I assumed this was pure promo stuff. Sounds like it's worth a watch?

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I assumed this was pure promo stuff. Sounds like it's worth a watch?

It is quite promotional, I think you have to watch it without expecting a journalistic masterpiece. It’s a pleasant watch with some nice behind the scenes clips, would absolutely love to have a programme like this about us just to see some of those moments you don’t get to see from the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
just spent a rainy day watching it all back to back ......very very good....especially vincent kompany sitting watching the game that gave city the title...

Man utd had to lose to give city the title..

And there he was watching the game with his father in law who is a utd fan complete with father in law wearing a utd shirt......with kompany accusing him of living in the past..

A series worth watching.

oi spoiler!!!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It is very promo but I thought still quite enjoyable. I’m a massive Pep fan so liked seeing how he worked last season (what we were allowed to see anyway). And Benjamin Mendy is just a genuine delight as a player and person.

I did feel sorry for Aguero when he was talking about his living arrangements though. He sounded so lonely and looked quite sad when discussing it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here