Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ooh, The Arrogance

el punal

After a brilliantly crafted performance by our boys in dismantling Man Utd yesterday I thought I would post my observations.

Firstly, and I suppose we have to accept this, the media reaction was in the first instance how poor United were. We were then praised on our superb team performance. A case of, if you will, United being very poor and us being very good - it takes two to tango and all that.

Secondly, and the crux of my post, was the reaction of United fans to the game and result. Before the game I was in the pub chatting to some decent fans, they actually had Mancunian accents (!), and were complimentary about us as a club and supporters. After the game, however, I bumped into what you might call a “plastic” fan and his young son, and both very local Brighton/Sussex stock.

“Hope you enjoyed your cup final.” says the Dad

“Yes, thank you.” I reply, “ Nice easy game to start our home fixtures, but your team looked so poor and disjointed that every match you play will be like YOUR cup final.” I said by way of a retort. He didn’t like that!

My final point, on eventually arriving home, was to read the match reports and check out the forum comments. Well, I read about eleven pages of Red Cafe’s (Man Utd’s main fans forum) post match thread. It was revealing to find out that in those many posts our performance hardly registered, so much so that only one poster actually praised us. Several commented that Brighton were just a bunch of journeymen players and that United should be beating “teams like that” every time.

So there you have it folks, sorry, but we are not worthy. Maybe, just maybe, that if we finish above United in the table we might actually receive some grudging respect of sorts.

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
After a brilliantly crafted performance by our boys in dismantling Man Utd yesterday I thought I would post my observations.

Firstly, and I suppose we have to accept this, the media reaction was in the first instance how poor United were. We were then praised on our superb team performance. A case of, if you will, United being very poor and us being very good - it takes two to tango and all that.

Secondly, and the crux of my post, was the reaction of United fans to the game and result. Before the game I was in the pub chatting to some decent fans, they actually had Mancunian accents (!), and were complimentary about us as a club and supporters. After the game, however, I bumped into what you might call a “plastic” fan and his young son, and both very local Brighton/Sussex stock.

“Yes, thank you.” I reply, “ Nice easy game to start our home fixtures, but your team looked so poor and disjointed that every match you play will be like YOUR cup final.” I said by way of a retort. He didn’t like that!

My final point, on eventually arriving home, was to read the match reports and check out the forum comments. Well, I read about eleven pages of Red Cafe’s (Man Utd’s main fans forum) post match thread. It was revealing to find out that in those many posts our performance hardly registered, so much so that only one poster actually praised us. Several commented that Brighton were just a bunch of journeymen players and that United should be beating “teams like that” every time.

So there you have it folks, sorry, but we are not worthy. Maybe, just maybe, that if we finish above United in the table we might actually receive some grudging respect of sorts.

I can live with that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair you didn't really expect anything different did you?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
4077F6F6-8E88-435F-AC0B-0B968F3E0255.jpeg

My hope this season is that the tides will finally begin to turn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
am i bovvered.gif
i anit bovvered.gif

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
After the game, however, I bumped into what you might call a “plastic” fan and his young son, and both very local Brighton/Sussex stock.

You'll be disappointed with that retort. Wot no reference to only living round the corner?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

They are right . They should be beating us every time . Simple economics

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8572521 said:
That's not going to happen mate, don't get your hopes up!

To quote Kevin Keegan "I would just love it"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tw@.
Nice.

Although I'm a bit disappointed not to be reading a monologue that you dished out on how he'd let his son down bringing him up as a plastic, instead of supporting his local team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally I find the "we should be beating teams like Brighton" comments quite amusing. Most of the football world - including Palace - is pretty grounded. It's only teams in the Top 6, West Ham, Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday that tend to come out with that rubbish.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Our resident Man Utd fan (from Cowfold, been to one game) avoided me for the first few hours. I had anticipated such a move, so I hung an Albion flag at his desk whilst he was on a break :) childish, but satisfying.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So much neediness to be praised by Man U fans. How much praise was there for Watford on here after last week? From memory, it was all about how shit we were.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Our resident Man Utd fan (from Cowfold, been to one game) avoided me for the first few hours. I had anticipated such a move, so I hung an Albion flag at his desk whilst he was on a break :) childish, but satisfying.

With my office plastic, I find it rude that he's avoided me, especially as I went to the effort of sending him an email titled 'Lunchtime viewing', and attached my phone recording of our penalty!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So what have we been called over the last couple of seasons by opposing fans of the BIG boys after a defeat to lil Albion?

I see we are a Poundland team according to the United fan in the post match video posted elsewhere and I remember there was something about the seaside from an Arsenal fan and another one from a West Ham fan which I don’t remember now, anyone remind me? I quite enjoy these put down similes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think 5Live got a reasonable balance and a lot of the credit for the win was the confidence that CH showed in the team by not knee jerking and by setting his team up correctly. Rightly they also praised the team for executing his strategy well.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Not that different from their Manager - When Brighton played well up at Old Trafford he comes out and says how wonderful we were........................Why - Because they had Won

Yet when we play even better and we win. Not one word of recognition for Brighton. All about their mistakes and not our good play or hard work.

If we had played that way and they had come back and snatched a victory then Mourhino and their fans would have been saying how good a side we were and that we will be safe from relegation.

The grapes in Manchester are ''sour'' this morning and everything on the horizon is coloured ''Envy Greeen'' today !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here