Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Dumb phone

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Ot, watching a thing on sky about him much people use their smartphones and are going back to basics. On average apparently people check their phones every 12 mins. That's a bit ridiculous really isn't, obsessive, can't be healthy. Even with the excuse that it's got an app on for the gym. I am quite happy to not have a smartphone, bad enough with my tablet which doesn't always have connectivity. My old school Nokia makes and takes calls and get s a weekly charge

Anyway, visiting my nan in hospital the other day, called through 4 or 5 people on my phone so she could speak to them for a chat, sisters iPhone was dead, I mean it was 5pm, it normally needs a charge. Nan declares she needs a phone for when she's in hospital so I thought of getting her one like my junk, even then though the buttons are a bit small and screen dark

Just stumbled across this which I think is lovely and maybe of use

Make your design with a button for each person, a name or pic up to 12 numbers. If you need to change the design you can get a new facia printed free

And has a GPS tracker if they wander where they shouldn't you can get an alert

Genius simplicity and can help with the my kid needs to be able to contact me arguments or cyber bullying perhaps. Maybe going too far for some but ban smartphones from schools and issue one of these instead as part of the stationery

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This seems to be perfect for people similar to your nan

truly-simple-mobile-phone.jpg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This seems to be perfect for people similar to your nan

View attachment 99831

That would confuse the hell out of her. She sometimes gets my name a bit mixed up but throwing Daniel and Peter in the mix she would short circuit. She was delighted the other day when they upgraded her room to one full of colour TVs, didn't see the point in telling her they were monitors

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That would confuse the hell out of her. She sometimes gets my name a bit mixed up but throwing Daniel and Peter in the mix she would short circuit. She was delighted the other day when they upgraded her room to one full of colour TVs, didn't see the point in telling her they were monitors

:lol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

bless her....hospitals are shit places....hope she's better soon .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Aw thanks Sydney. She's not really going to get better but she quite happy most of the time and comfortable and going on like a trooper, dialysis is magic!

my mum is in a home in worthing , she's 92 and we have been trying for years to get her to use an i pad or decent size phone so we can keep in touch but she just wouldn't embrace the technology , basically stubborn as all **** ....fair play to your nan for at least trying.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
92 wow. Fair play for getting her into a home! Fat chance with my nan stubborn as. Fine most of the time, but left alone,well the washing machine has had god knows how many coats of pink, taken the microwave away as pouches of catfood... Well. Gotta love your nan!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Oh I see. 95% would be a monumental rise. 5% is not bad if they've been falling every year until then. I may have misheard, but googling it gives this:

https://news.sky.com/story/dumb-pho...-smartphone-users-hope-to-switch-off-11476323

http://www.radioexe.co.uk/news-and-...-rise-as-smartphone-users-hope-to-switch-off/

Looks like 5%

Maybe it's me that misheard. It was sky I was watching and the rest of the piece was the same as your link. 95% of not very many still isn't loads I wouldn't think, but yeah maybe it was 5% anyway

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a Doro phone, I have hearing problems and the transmission quality is so much better than my iPhone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here