Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eatinjg in Calais.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are taking 3 young grandchildren ages 5, 7, 9 to Calais on the ferry for a day out. We need to give them dinner anybody kn ow of cheap child friendly eating places in Calais, if left to them they would opt for McDonalds at Carrefour. There used to be a chicken place near the square which did many different ways of cooked chicken but I think that has closed.down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Flunch is excellent value.

BG you've asked about eating in Calais before. Didn't you take notes the last time?

Places open up and close down quite regularly so really wanted an up date.. I do not think the ferries offer VFM. as regards a picnic we shall take a packed lunch to have on the ferry going out.or when we get there.

Last edited:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Our fall back option is always the Cafe de Paris just round the corner from the old Roman lighthouse in the Place D'Armes in the centre of what was the old town. On two floors, busy, helpful and friendly with a fairly standard menu from memory. Parking is free in the Place during lunchtimes if there isn't a fair or market on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not been for a few yerars, but Calais always used to be an absolute wilderness as far as eating options were concerned. Such a shame the Dover/Folkestone to Boulogne route closed down. There are some wonderful seafood restaurants there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dover -Calais is only 90 mins so the children get a boat trip with out getting board and asking are we there yet. The problem is many on here consider £15 as an acceptable price but if you x 3 and then add 2 adults it makes it an expensive day out

theboybilly

Dover -Calais is only 90 mins so the children get a boat trip with out getting board and asking are we there yet. The problem is many on here consider £15 as an acceptable price but if you x 3 and then add 2 adults it makes it an expensive day out

Yes but it's something you don't do everyday is it? It won't be much more expensive than going to a Harvester (ferry fare aside) with the family. Don't start penny-pinching before you go or you'll just end up spoiling your visit.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
LeSesame on Rue de la Mer. Says it's good for kids.

http://www.le-sesame-calais.com/en/

"Sesame" welcomes you! Our restaurant in Calais invites you to a culinary journey where you can enjoy our rich variety of delicious homemade dishes.

The children will think it's the bomb. Oooops!
Probably not a proper expression in that part of France.

I see by your spelling you are looking for a Dutch place.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes but it's something you don't do everyday is it? It won't be much more expensive than going to a Harvester (ferry fare aside) with the family. Don't start penny-pinching before you go or you'll just end up spoiling your visit.

We dont go to France everyday no but we do have them and have to occupy them most days.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
If you are only going for the day and you have not been recently rhe foodcourt at Cite Europe has plenty of choice.
There is a new place kids will like called Steak and Shake.

The best food places in town are away from the port and are seafood ( mainly) not the sort of things kids like.....But I can recommend....Brasserie de la mer .....superb Moules ( muscles) and not to pricey.

We visit Calais maybe 3 times a year to pick up wine on the way back from my trips to the WW1 battlefields in France.

Calais gets bad press but there are no migrants in the town....but plenty around the wine warehouses but never caused a problem...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We dont go to France everyday no but we do have them and have to occupy them most days.

You're not alone, BG. It's the problem that Germany also had from 1940-1944.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here