Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Drunk on a passenger aircraft.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
New figures show more flights than ever are having problems with passenger behaviour on board a plane due to passengers being drunk. Quite what the answer is i am not sure but a simple breath test like as in a car has been suggested and if our the limit you don't board plus the option of no refund. We have been lucky all our flights have been trouble free (and long may that continue) with so many flights almost 24/7 often early morning departure times you can often be at your destination well before lunchtime. We travel clear headed,arrive unpack and then chillax without the need to sleep it off. https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/drunk-airline-plane-passengers-alcohol-flights-flying/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends. If someone is paying for club class flights it would be rude not to. But there again, I'm not rowdy or a lech, and just nod off....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
See it all the time when travelling........at Gatwick a few weeks ago for an early morning flight, for example, a group of 4 were in Starbucks - had coffee, but were also doing shots from a couple of bottles of brightly coloured stuff they'd obviously bought in duty free. Finished both bottles within about 30 mins. It was 6am. Spoons is ALWAYS mobbed with people drinking, whatever the time of day.

Some countries don't even let you have your duty free in the airport (US for example) - they bag it, seal it and you collect it as you board the plane.

Personally I adopt the @HWT approach - usually in business, so have a couple in the lounge, a few on the plane and then fall asleep half way through film.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The answer is simple, don’t sell alcohol at airports. Why people feel the need to get pissed up before flying is beyond me. As for people drinking at 7.00 in the morning, wtf is wrong with you?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Many moons ago I used to work in one of the airside bars at Gatwick. Serving whiskey to punters shortly after my shift started at 6am used to make me feel nauseous :sick:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It’s the destination that attracts a certain type of person. A flight to Zürich will most likely be trouble free, but a flight to Tallin or Amsterdam may attract the stag do’s and the typical August Spain flight attracts the sun drinkers. Gatwick has many more holiday destinations than heathrow and therefore you see a lot more pre flight drinking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s the destination that attracts a certain type of person. A flight to Zürich will most likely be trouble free, but a flight to Tallin or Amsterdam may attract the stag do’s and the typical August Spain flight attracts the sun drinkers. Gatwick has many more holiday destinations than heathrow and therefore you see a lot more pre flight drinking.

Completely true - don't see anywhere near as much at, for example, LHR T5

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The answer is simple, don’t sell alcohol at airports. Why people feel the need to get pissed up before flying is beyond me. As for people drinking at 7.00 in the morning, wtf is wrong with you?

It is an absolute MUST to have a few beers at the airport before going on holiday. Regardless of the time. Got a flight to Mallorca with the family next month flight time 5.30am. I will 100% have 3-4 pints before. Nothing wrong with me, just part of holiday tradition.

For the record I've never been pissed to the point of being abusive or disruptive on a plane - and agree anyone who has done that is a tit. They give all of us peaceful airbourne drinkers a bad name.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Seems a bit like sledgehammer to crack a nut. Flew to Cyprus three weeks ago - enjoyed a quiet pint in the bar at 6am and didn't get drunk. What amazed me was I needed a boarding pass to buy a bottle of water but not a pint. Maybe all duty free alcohol should be collected at the boarding gate and boarding passes be required to buy a drink at the bar and is restricted to two drinks.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is an absolute MUST to have a few beers at the airport before going on holiday. Regardless of the time. Got a flight to Mallorca with the family next month flight time 5.30am. I will 100% have 3-4 pints before. Nothing wrong with me, just part of holiday tradition.

For the record I've never been pissed to the point of being abusive or disruptive on a plane - and agree anyone who has done that is a tit. They give all of us peaceful airbourne drinkers a bad name.

Agreed, nothing wrong with a pre flight piss up if you can handle your beer, but these kids will be a-holes whether it's a plane, train or automobile.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I used to work with a very nervous flyer -she'd have three or four whiskies before she got on any flight, even if it was an early morning one. I don't think she'd cope with bars being closed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure it is fair to stop people having a pint or two if they want them. Just need to be harder on those who can't handle it or more to the point those that don't give a f*ck for other people and are happy to ruin other people's days.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Always have a pint or two before getting on a plane. Like others I'll usually just drift off to sleep not long after take off.

you see more pissed up people on trains out of victoria than you ever see on a flight. You dont see anyone clamouring for the whistlestop shop to restrict sales of small cans of gin and tonic to two a person.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I used to work with a very nervous flyer -she'd have three or four whiskies before she got on any flight, even if it was an early morning one. I don't think she'd cope with bars being closed.

Doctors can prescribe Valium for nervous flyers.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Part of the holiday is getting on it regardless of the time at Gatwick.

Harsher sentences for those that cause real problems , even flight bans.

Media is hot on it at the moment, be a disaster to stop a great British tradition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here