Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] British Sign Language

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
A month or so ago I started learning BSL. I've always wanted to and thought if I don't
do it soon, I never will. It will take years I know. But if you enjoy something, it isn't a
chore.

I started with BSL Level 1 Part A and really enjoyed it. But between now and moving
on to Part B (course availability issues) I'm stuck for resources and/or materials to practice. I've done an online
course at british-sign.co.uk, but that becomes a little repetitive after the third run-through. The
course teacher on our course wasn't very forthcoming with extra stuff despite emails etc. Very
frustrating.

Has anyone on NSC completed the parts of the course? If so, could you possibly point me in the direction
of some links or resources/advice for Level 1 and 2 possibly please - I'd be really grateful

Thanks.

:bhasign:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
not done BSL but i started MAKATON. What i did find helpful was that there are a bunch of deaf people who come to my local and they helped quite a bit (albeit BSL and MAKATON are miles apart). maybe find a place that the deaf meet up and go and join them?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
not done BSL but i started MAKATON. What i did find helpful was that there are a bunch of deaf people who come to my local and they helped quite a bit (albeit BSL and MAKATON are miles apart). maybe find a place that the deaf meet up and go and join them?

cheers Hampden.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Worked with a deaf lady before and over time I ended up picking up a lot of sign language. Like anyone learning any language from a native speaker the first words I learnt were the swear words. I could swear like a trooper in BSL! Still remember quite a bit of it but equally have forgotten loads now. It helped she had a wicked sense of humour.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I did my BSL level 1 about eight years ago, at the time the instructor mentioned that the deaf community had a meet up once a month at the King and Queen (where beginners were welcome). Not sure if it still happens but might be worth investigating. Most groups are friendly and encourage beginners.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I did my BSL level 1 about eight years ago, at the time the instructor mentioned that the deaf community had a meet up once a month at the King and Queen (where beginners were welcome). Not sure if it still happens but might be worth investigating. Most groups are friendly and encourage beginners.

Thanks Ned. Worth knowing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here