Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] O/T: Parking at Lidl in Worthing

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

Appreciate any constructive/informed opinions on a fun situation which occurred today.

Was visiting my folks in Worthing and we broked down just past the roundabout for Waitrose. We managed to push the car into the Lidl car park and only stayed there for 45 mins or so whilst we worked out our options. In addition I bought something in the store and have the receipt.

The query concerns where we parked, initially we pushed the car up to the motorcycle bay (there were no spaces and that short rise up to the car park induced jelly legs). We weren't blocking the car park or anyone parked there. 10 mins later we pushed into a spare bay.

I just wonder if we can expect a ticket for not being parked in a bay? Now the bonnet was up and our hazards on, even so I am familiar with how private car parks work. We didn't exceed the time limit but, well, I'm still unsure. Upon a quick check the only camera we could see was one at the entrance, presumably doing the checking on cars arriving/leaving in respect of the time limit (an hour). We may not even be picked up.

In any case has anyone experienced similar? I don't see how we can get a PCN for exceeding the time limit as we didn't, just in the context of where we parked.

anyway - cheers for reading this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Haven’t fallen foul to these private car parks once or twice I feel your dear. However I’d be very surprised if they check where in the car park you park. Pretty sure they only check the time you spent in there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hi all,

Appreciate any constructive/informed opinions on a fun situation which occurred today.

Was visiting my folks in Worthing and we broked down just past the roundabout for Waitrose. We managed to push the car into the Lidl car park and only stayed there for 45 mins or so whilst we worked out our options. In addition I bought something in the store and have the receipt.

The query concerns where we parked, initially we pushed the car up to the motorcycle bay (there were no spaces and that short rise up to the car park induced jelly legs). We weren't blocking the car park or anyone parked there. 10 mins later we pushed into a spare bay.

I just wonder if we can expect a ticket for not being parked in a bay? Now the bonnet was up and our hazards on, even so I am familiar with how private car parks work. We didn't exceed the time limit but, well, I'm still unsure. Upon a quick check the only camera we could see was one at the entrance, presumably doing the checking on cars arriving/leaving in respect of the time limit (an hour). We may not even be picked up.

In any case has anyone experienced similar? I don't see how we can get a PCN for exceeding the time limit as we didn't, just in the context of where we parked.

anyway - cheers for reading this.

I think you are pretty much in the clear. Lots of rules and guff about parking in supermarket car parks but usually the only one they act on is time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As with most supermarket car parks, if you had just put it in a disabled or child space, without a thought for anyone else because you could not be bothered to walk across a car park and walk into the store with a belligerent look on your face then you would have definitely got away with it.
You were far to kind and working out the best thing for everyone concerned.
2 years in soiltary for you I'm afraid.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
You could park sideways in a disabled bay for two days or set up camp at a Supermarket that uses ANPR cameras, or even illegally use someone else's Blue Badge ...and that would all be fine, according to the warped minds of the likes of scammers like ParkingEye, Highview, or in this case, Athena Parking.

You will not get a fake PCN, because the cameras merely harvest number-plates and have nothing at all to do with 'parking management'. That's not what the scam is about. So you are safe this time, but NEVER choose a private car park with ANPR cameras, if breaking down. You would be fairer treated on street just pushed over into a bay in a side street (if you stay with the car), or in this case, back in the Waitys car park which AFAIK in Worthing, doesn't have cameras or a scam firm onsite.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
thanks for all the help, we thought about pushing it to Waitrose but once we were past the roundabout it's a long way to go! Ended up pushing it out of the car park and along to the row of shops on the left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here