One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies if elsewhere......

Extremely poor. 6 - average

Ryan - 6
Bruno - N/A
Banardo - 3 - difficult start. Physicality caught him out.
Duffy - 4 - poor pre-season, poor today
Dunk - 5 - got stronger, but not his normal self
Knockaert - 5 - great first 20 mins, then terrible.
Stephens - 6
Propper- 5 - all over the place, not in a good way.
March - 4 - lots of good space, great first touch, then failed to deliver one cross.
Gross - 4 - did nothing
Murray - 5 - no service or support.

Bong - 5 - some strange clearances
Bissouma - 7 - great dribble, coped with the physicality, actually fought.
Alireza - N/A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
How on Earth was Stevens a 6? he could have quite easily been sent half by half time and was no better than proper.
March was (sadly) the worst player on the pitch .....

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Ryan - 6
Bruno - N/A
Stephens - 6
March - 4 - lots of good space, great first touch, then failed to deliver one cross.
Gross - 4 - did nothing

Alireza - N/A

Probably agree with all the above

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How on Earth was Stevens a 6? he could have quite easily been sent half by half time and was no better than proper.
March was (sadly) the worst player on the pitch .....

Thought he did okay in the second half, spent most of the game covering the inept Propper.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Can’t argue with the average score of 6. Bissouma was the only spark and looked as hard as a honey badger.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Ryan - 6
Bruno - N/A
Stephens - 6
Gross - 4 - did nothing

Alireza - N/A

I would agree with that as it saves me typing it out but would add as a team we lost it when Bruno went off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would agree with that as it saves me typing it out but would add as a team we lost it when Bruno went off.

Agree. No way is Banardo a RB, I don’t care how many times he’s played there. It took him 50 minutes to use his right foot.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Apologies slack copy/paste, with corrections! ....

Extremely poor. 4 average

Ryan - 7 what else could he have done.
Bruno - N/A
Banardo - 4 - difficult start. Physicality caught him out, forced onto his weaker side, poor management judgement at the time
Duffy - 3 apoor pre-season, poor today, peaked a year ago. where's Goldson ?
Dunk - 5 - but not his normal self
Knockaert - 4 - a below average first 20 mins, then got worse
Stephens - 4, got stuck in, badly, lucky to be on the pitch more than 30 minutes
Propper- 5 - all over the place, not in a good way. . . Chasing retards ****ing everything up!.

March - 2 - lots of service and good space, great first touch, then failed to deliver anything other than give the ball away.
Gross - 5 - unusually off, but a few good balls
Murray - 1- granted he had little service or support, however, every player in the top 2 divisions knows his game better than they remember ladybird Peter and Jane 1a. He had 2 great chances. Offside/missed and a yard short. Knackers yard!

CH. 4 poor starting line up, same old. Poor substitution, (Although lesson learned so we know Bernardo is only an emergency RB) and failed to take a chance at half time. ( we knew that wouldn't happen!)

Alireza - N/A

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry the 6 mark is what I consider an average performance.

The team performance would have been 4!

Anything underneath 6 is disappointing [emoji2]

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Agree with that and more!. it was hard to take. And it didn't make me feel any better when CH's post match interview didn't shed any light on the appalling performance.
Merely that we were second best. Stating the bloody obvious.

And claiming those players were feeling positive and up for the match beforehand. I really didn't see that at all.
I reiterate, Why were Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh on the bench when they clearly did more in 20 mins, then the others did all game.

I can only hope that this was absolutely NOTHING like what is to come. And we chalk this match off as never happened.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apologies slack copy/paste, with corrections! ....

Extremely poor. 4 average

Ryan - 7 what else could he have done.
Bruno - N/A
Banardo - 4 - difficult start. Physicality caught him out, forced onto his weaker side, poor management judgement at the time
Duffy - 3 apoor pre-season, poor today, peaked a year ago. where's Goldson ?
Dunk - 5 - but not his normal self
Knockaert - 4 - a below average first 20 mins, then got worse
Stephens - 4, got stuck in, badly, lucky to be on the pitch more than 30 minutes
Propper- 5 - all over the place, not in a good way. . . Chasing retards ****ing everything up!.

March - 2 - lots of service and good space, great first touch, then failed to deliver anything other than give the ball away.
Gross - 5 - unusually off, but a few good balls
Murray - 1- granted he had little service or support, however, every player in the top 2 divisions knows his game better than they remember ladybird Peter and Jane 1a. He had 2 great chances. Offside/missed and a yard short. Knackers yard!

CH. 4 poor starting line up, same old. Poor substitution, (Although lesson learned so we know Bernardo is only an emergency RB) and failed to take a chance at half time. ( we knew that wouldn't happen!)

Alireza - N/A

Murray a bit of a scapegoat there, with some barbed comments, in the same way some deluded NSC posters blamed Murray for the 1-5 home loss to Liverpool.

Hughton summed it up today:

“I have no complaints with the result. I thought we lost to the better side in most departments. There are no excuses, the players who played today know the system well. This could well prove to be an even more damaging defeat come the end of September, with four of Brighton’s next six games against last season’s top four. We knew that before today. We don’t go into any game thinking we have to work less hard to get a result, but this was our first opportunity, especially away from home, to win a game and we didn’t.”

Brighton were never in the game and were outclassed all over the pitch.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Murray a bit of a scapegoat there, with some barbed comments, in the same way some deluded NSC posters blamed Murray for the 1-5 home loss to Liverpool.

“I have no complaints with the result. I thought we lost to the better side in most departments. There are no excuses, the players who played today know the system well. This could well prove to be an even more damaging defeat come the end of September, with four of Brighton’s next six games against last season’s top four. We knew that before today. We don’t go into any game thinking we have to work less hard to get a result, but this was our first opportunity, especially away from home, to win a game and we didn’t.”

Nail on the head from Hughton he summed it up the players know the system. This is the system that has us as the worse team in the EPL away from home. Perhaps Chris you are to blame. How about changing the system and some of the players.

theboybilly

Ryan aside (7) and the injured Bruno I'm struggling to give any of the starters any more than 4 to be honest but Solly March was so disappointing again and needs to be loaned out or something - it's just not working for him here. Jose would have given us so much more going forward or defensively. So therefore Solly gets a 3 from me.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
That was a shambles. Worst I've seen from the Albion for a long time. The fact that some pundits have Watford as relegation candidates should be of considerable concern.

And as bad as March played, he was not as bad as Bernado who couldn't defend, couldn't pass, and made no meaningful attacking runs. Bernado's performance was the worst I have seen from a player in a Brighton shirt for a very very long time. And frankly he was no better on the left than he was on the right. He should be nowhere near the starting eleven, or even the matchday squad for a long while.

Ryan 5. Probably couldn't do anything about the goals, but his kicking was very poor. Foster showed him how it should be done.
Bruno 6. Playing fairly well until he went off.
Dunk 6. Below his best, but probably our best defender.
Duffy 4. Defending and passing well below par. Should we have sold Goldson?
Bernado 1. And that's being generous.
Stephens 4. Poor all round.
Propper 4. Not sure he did much.
Knockaert 4. Some good touches early, but then it all went quickly downhill.
March 2. Passing and crossing awful. Controlled the ball well on a few occasions, but then did nothing with it.
Gross 5. Very poor by his standards, but not the worst of the bunch today.
Murray 4. One decent header which deserved a goal. Won few high balls. Way below his best.

Subs:
Bong 5. Did OK.
Bissouma 7. At least made an effort and tried to make things happen. Should start on Sunday.
Jahanbakhsh 5. Very little service, but another one who should probably start on Sunday.

Manager 3. Valid criticism by others on here. We need a different system for away games.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ryan 5 He did all he could
Bruno 5 Not long enough, but got SKINNED once.
Dunk 6 I think he covered Duffy a fair bit today
Duffy 3 When he plays like you have to think Balogun, Burn AND Goldson could offer more. Clumsy. Out of postion.
Bernardo 2 Room for improvement
Stephens 4 Meh
Propper 4.5 Slightly less meh than Stephens.
Knockaert 3 Ran around but did nothing
March 3 Looks lost
Gross 4 Didn't really do anything
Murray 4 Not at the races and no service

Bong 5 Fine
Bissouma 7 Entertaining and energetic
Jahanbakhsh 5 Decent enough cross but hardly touched the ball. Looks to have a bit about him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some notes We were in the match until Bruno got injured and disrupted the plan. Bruno provided a precise pass that Stephens should have passed into the net. Pascal Gross put one on the head for Murray just before half-time, (I expect Ashley Barnes would have missed it as well). That was our lot,

Watford's second string midfield were too good for our lot. Their full backs (after Bruno went off) dominated in attack and defence. I think I would have done something about it a half time?
Solly March tried enough and I've seen him play worse. Maybe his best isn't good enough? The trouble with both March and Knockaert is they are so one footed; it makes pressing them ball at the feet too easy for the defender.

We deserved to lose 3-0.

Davy Pröpper lost the ball enough times for four games.

PS: When Bruno got skinned we got a goal kick. Anybody quicker warning! Bruno was correctly positioned but we might have come a cropper against a winger really quick.

I thought Watford were really tiring at the end, and we should have brought on fresh players earlier.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Liverpool are in a different league, the whole team got thrashed. It would be nice to think a lesson was learned.
Murray relies on playing his luck for breaks and winning free kicks by backing in to defenders, and the odd header from, granted, good positioning. ( but only when a quality cross is delivered on a plate -gross) Every PL manager and player knows this already, and he's a yard per second slower already. That is not PL standard now.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Agree with that and more!. it was hard to take. And it didn't make me feel any better when CH's post match interview didn't shed any light on the appalling performance.
Merely that we were second best. Stating the bloody obvious.

And claiming those players were feeling positive and up for the match beforehand. I really didn't see that at all.
I reiterate, Why were Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh on the bench when they clearly did more in 20 mins, then the others did all game.

I can only hope that this was absolutely NOTHING like what is to come. And we chalk this match off as never happened.

I agree and, as you say, NOTHING like what is to come in the next four to six weeks.

On today's showing we are not going to be in a good place come the end of September !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here