Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Tom Waits documentary tonight

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Surely it should have been titled: Tom Waites - for no man.

Oppourtunity missed.

I often wonder, if i’d made it, you know; as a semi permanent drunkered, poetic musical enigma what my bbc 4 career review would have been called...

Ooh oooh...

“Roll neck atired 2 eclectic muso ponce”

Nice.

:)

Mine would be on so anti socially early, it, in all actuality, wouldn’t even exist.

Now that is a measure of true whacked out genius.

Strum on indeed.

Mired in whiskey

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks. VCR now set

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely it should have been titled: Tom Waites - for no man.

Oppourtunity missed.

I often wonder, if i’d made it, you know; as a semi permanent drunkered, poetic musical enigma what my bbc 4 career review would have been called...

Ooh oooh...

“Roll neck atired 2 eclectic muso ponce”

Nice.

:)

Mine would be on so anti socially early, it, in all actuality, wouldn’t even exist.

Now that is a measure of true whacked out genius.

Strum on indeed.

Mired in whiskey

Tell me is the crack of the poolballs, neon buzzin?
Telephone's ringin'; it's your second cousin
Is it the barmaid that's smilin' from the corner of her eye?
Magic of the melancholy tear in your eye.

Makes it kind of quiver down in the core
'Cause you're dreamin' of them Saturdays that came before
And now you're stumblin'
You're stumblin' onto the heart of Saturday night

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never 'got' Tom Waits - or even anywhere near, to be honest - but I'll record this and give it a look. Any fans care to give me a low-down on what it is about him that makes you fans?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Never 'got' Tom Waits - or even anywhere near, to be honest - but I'll record this and give it a look. Any fans care to give me a low-down on what it is about him that makes you fans?

He worked with Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse/tragic latter period suicide fame, and that makes him okay by me. He features on the quite brilliant It’s a Wonderful Life Album, sounding akin to a drunken bum with a severe speech impediment, but with that flourish of Waites (for it) trampy supply teacher on vibes errmmm vibe.

Smokin’

Humble Pie

��

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'm sure it's a repeat but well worth another watch.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I like that his songs and albums tell stories. I got into him when I first heard the songs Nickel Over There and I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You. And this video, which I think is one of the best music videos ever made. On a personal note, it was the last concert I went to with my Brother, who was a huge fan, before he passed away so will always have a space for Tom Waits in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GugzLSbOQE

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll have some of this later.

Obvious comment but they do have some bloody good music documentaries on BBC4. I particularly liked the Gerry Rafferty one where the film makers struggled, and largely failed, to find anyone who has a good word for him as a human being.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here