Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Five-Thirty-Eight issues 2018-19 EPL predictions (Perhaps for stat-heads only)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Based on 20,,000 Monte Carlo simulations of the coming season

The tl;dr version

• Crystal Palace, 9% chance of relegation, predicted finish 7th, 70 points
  • Brighton, 26% chance of relegation, predicted finish 18th, 63 points

The way 538.com predict seasons, and games, is covered here: Methodological Notes.

Of particular interest is the example match they use to illustrate single-match predictions - the March 23 game against Liverpool. It's the length of a good-sized magazine article, but I found it very interesting.

Fascinating stuff, and you can check their work, because there are pull-downs at the bottom of the table, so you can see what they projected for each week of the season last year, and how it changes from week to week.

They update weekly, and one of the more interesting things in their model is a measure of match importance, how much, relatively, each side has to play for. Fighting relegation, chasing Europe, on the beach -- all baked in.

It's good to see this kind of high-powered intellectual talent being put to good use, instead of being used by quants in the City to rig LIBOR and what have you.

(Unlike four-Four-Two, the name of the site is the number of electoral votes in a US Presidential election, and not a formation. If it were a formation, the pitch would be crowded, now wouldn't it)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You may want to learn how to read a table as I doubt we would be relegated with 63 points

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
You may want to learn how to read a table as I doubt we would be relegated with 63 points

Nope says relegated with 41. At a quick glance I see that as being little more accurate than the odds of matches at the bookies and as per usual clearly underrate unfashionable sides like us and Huddersfield. They have Palarse finishing 7th, one place below Manure!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
41 points --- you are right -- the 63 is their proprietary magic number -- SPI -- which you can see in their World Cup tables, etc. It's supposed to be a measure of team quality comparable across contexts.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Based on 20,,000 Monte Carlo simulations of the coming season

The tl;dr version

The way 538.com predict seasons, and games, is covered here: Methodological Notes.

Of particular interest is the example match they use to illustrate single-match predictions - the March 23 game against Liverpool. It's the length of a good-sized magazine article, but I found it very interesting.

Fascinating stuff, and you can check their work, because there are pull-downs at the bottom of the table, so you can see what they projected for each week of the season last year, and how it changes from week to week.

They update weekly, and one of the more interesting things in their model is a measure of match importance, how much, relatively, each side has to play for. Fighting relegation, chasing Europe, on the beach -- all baked in.

It's good to see this kind of high-powered intellectual talent being put to good use, instead of being used by quants in the City to rig LIBOR and what have you.

(Unlike four-Four-Two, the name of the site is the number of electoral votes in a US Presidential election, and not a formation. If it were a formation, the pitch would be crowded, now wouldn't it)

Do you know if they did this prior to last season?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Do you know if they did this prior to last season?

538 17-18.JPG

Search around on their site

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Are that lot up the road really the 48th best team in the world?

Look at how far down they were in the EPL -- 11th.
To match that EPL standard you're talking about a literal handful of teams in a literal handful of leagues.
They'd have to be better, or no worse than, say, FC Köln or Dijon FCO or Real Betis.
Looking at other leagues, who finished second in the Jupiter League, or the Greek Superleague.?
Or, for that matter, Scotland.

It's not impossible.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Will be keeping an eye on this as I love me some stats!
Interestingly Leicester seem to have moved up into 7th by losing away at the scum. Set up to play counter attacking football yet somehow played possession then bagged a fortunate late goal. Am pleased to see Palarse in free-fall even before they play a match. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here