Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Monty Panesar

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just heard Monty on Test Match Special almost pleading for a chance of a county contract. Just illustrates the fragility of the sporting - not just cricket - career. As someone once said "one day you're cock of the walk - the next you're a feather duster".

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently he's written to every 1st class county begging for a trial. Sad. I always liked Monty.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
For all Monty's shortcomings, he'll always be able to dine out on this game.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard him too, seems in a good place but can't buy a game anywhere. Sad.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Seems like a good bloke .

I appreciate it's one occurrence but I will forever have a tainted view of him.

Around the time he was pissing on bouncers, me and some chums were on a night out in Brighton. We bumped into a few of the Brighton players. Barnes and Bridcutt were really great and humoured us with a group photo. Nice guys.

Then we saw Monty. My mate, politely (genuinely), asked if we could maybe get a photo as he was a fan. I could maybe accept "I'd rather not". However the "**** off" he got in response felt somewhat unjustified.

So when the pissing on people followed shortly after we all thought "yeah, sounds right". Shame as, at the time of asking, we were fans of his cricket.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Around the time he was pissing on bouncers, me and some chums were on a night out in Brighton. We bumped into a few of the Brighton players. Barnes and Bridcutt were really great and humoured us with a group photo. Nice guys.

Then we saw Monty. My mate, politely (genuinely), asked if we could maybe get a photo as he was a fan. I could maybe accept "I'd rather not". However the "**** off" he got in response felt somewhat unjustified.

So when the pissing on people followed shortly after we all thought "yeah, sounds right". Shame as, at the time of asking, we were fans of his cricket.
That's fair enough but the bloke was struggling with mental problems and drinking far too much at the time so maybe not right to judge his personality on one incident.

I'd probably think he was a dick if that had happened to me and my mates mind. Just hope I'd also try to see the bigger picture.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Lucky you never met up with Ben Stokes then ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
At 36 years old I think that his days in county cricket are long gone now.
And yet 42 year old Banger should still be opening the batting for England. Despite the fact that he doesn't want to and never will.

C'mon BG. THINK.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At 36 years old I think that his days in county cricket are long gone now.

James Anderson also over the hill at 36.......

It’s not his age , it’s that cricketing conditions and how the game has evolved hasn’t suited him. That and a seemingly terminal loss of form

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That's fair enough but the bloke was struggling with mental problems and drinking far too much at the time so maybe not right to judge his personality on one incident.

I'd probably think he was a dick if that had happened to me and my mates mind. Just hope I'd also try to see the bigger picture.

That’s generous of you.

Thing is with monty , he always comes across as a loveable, naive victim in interviews.
But over time, a picture builds up of a nasty, bitter man - Melias story being one example.
How much of it is poor mental health, how much of it is good old-fashioned arrogance?
I’d say it’s more of the later, and I’ll save my sympathy for mental health sufferers who have more humility.

That said, it would be great to see him taking wickets again.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here