Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goalkeeper prices gone stoopid

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
At least I had heard of Alisson when Liverpool overpaid for Brazil’s #1, but Chelsea have gone one level better ar £72m for a lad - let’s be honest- none of us had heard of us until this week. Ryan with a whole season of premier level experience at £5m looks like plain highway robbery

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At least I had heard of Alisson when Liverpool overpaid for Brazil’s #1, but Chelsea have gone one level better ar £72m for a lad - let’s be honest- none of us had heard of us until this week. Ryan with a whole season of premier level experience at £5m looks like plain highway robbery
I follow Spanish football, so I absolutely have heard of him.

£72 million for him is madness though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I absolutely had heard of Kepa, I've watched him a lot and he is quality. Brilliant signing for Chelsea even if the money is slightly mad.

I think clubs have had a realisation lately how important keepers are, look at the difference Ederson has made for City and how costly Karius's mistakes have been for Liverpool. The prices for keepers have just finally caught up with outfield players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey he's 5 times better than Dunk. :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant believe thats a real money actually transfering fee. its bonkers, even for a proven striker. i read that its a "release clause" which are really just "hands off" warning. this gets translated to a fee if the player is then involved in a transfer, but we dont really know what figures change hands.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Also shows what incredible value we got in Ryan at 5 million.

It did make me laugh last year when there was the 'Is Ryan too small?' debate going on here.

The only reason he's here is because he's 'too small.' That was the punt and it's another one our recruitment team got right.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Speak for yourself! who wouldnt have heard of him?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Goalkeeper prices gone stoopid !!

Any team with a goalkeeper who had "perfected" the art would never lose a game.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I follow Spanish football, so I absolutely have heard of him.

£72 million for him is madness though.

And Real Madrid nearly bought him for £18m in January... before he had massive buy-clause added to contract.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The quality of goalkeeping at the World Cup was spectacular.

Without wanting to come across as a complete sap, watching excellent saves is one of the great pleasures of watching the game. I'm sure I am not the only one who leaves a match reliving brilliant goalkeeping just as much as a great goal.

So yes, greatly undervalued I agree. That said, no I had not heard of this keeper, and think £72 mill might be a touch steep.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I reckon this is data driven. I suspect goalkeepers have been massively undervalued in the past.

I agree and think that is also the case with attacking midfielders compared to strikers.

If you look at our recruitment, it's where we've tended to focus our spend recently. (I'm still not convinced that Locadia may not be played 'off' the main striker, with the main striker being Andone, Murray or Hemed).

*cue Hemed departure announcement*

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You hadn't heard of Kepa? He nearly joined Real Madrid in January. He's really well thought of across Europe.

But as to your overall point, are goalkeepers being overpaid for, or were they simply undervalued for too long?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This....reassuring to have a few healthy young saplings of this genre coming along nicely in the potting shed

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here