Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Selling CD's advice?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
With the advent of streaming services, apart from the odd piece of vinyl, our music collection has been made redundant. I am sure that many others like myself have found themselves in this position as I need to get rid of it.

Is there any kind of market for CD's these days? The CD's are the most part a mixture of soft rock to heavy or progressive stuff. There is little pop, but also loads of Classical music. I don't want to sell the CD's individually on ebay as that'd be very time-consuming.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Music Magpie et al. will give you about 10p per CD. The local exchange shops seem to average about 30p.

Just no market in them these days. Just like VHS. The reason you don't want/need them is the same reason no-one else wants/needs them.

Charity might be a philanthropic option.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As per F & S’s advice, there is no market or at least hardly any. Do yourself a favour and a charity like Oxfam and give them the lot. They’ll make a few quid here and there and even provide you with annual updates saying how much youve raised/ they’ve sold. It’s an emotional thing saying goodbye but as you’ve discovered, just how frequently were you listening to?

Get rid, sorry but it’s all junk in short. Your kids will wonder why on Earth you bought them in the first place! :)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The possibilities are endless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With the advent of streaming services, apart from the odd piece of vinyl, our music collection has been made redundant. I am sure that many others like myself have found themselves in this position as I need to get rid of it.

Is there any kind of market for CD's these days? The CD's are the most part a mixture of soft rock to heavy or progressive stuff. There is little pop, but also loads of Classical music. I don't want to sell the CD's individually on ebay as that'd be very time-consuming.

You're ****ed, mate. Donate them to hospital radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAhZGjUdlQI

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unless your're willing to sell individually you are not going to get much.

If you delve into Discogs.com you will get an idea on what an individual CD may be worth. This is for the non-classical stuff.

You don't say how large the collection you are looking to get rid of. Obviously the price would be inflated if there are any promo, deleted and out of print, signed or Japanese CDs within your collection.

If you really what to chance your luck you could list the CDs on NSC and sit back and await the joke replies on why on earth have you got so and so, and no wonder you want to get rid of it. You may however receive an offer to take 1 or 2 off your hands.

Really depends on how much time and effort you want to put into the process.

You never know you might have the odd gem which may be worth something. (eg. if you had a copy of Live Albuquerque, NM, USA-1976 by Bad Company this is currently fetching £30)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks chaps. It is as I suspected, they are mostly worth diddly squat. I think I'll probably donate most of them to the charity shop and offer my brother first choice as he's still in the dark ages lol.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Unless your're willing to sell individually you are not going to get much.

If you delve into Discogs.com you will get an idea on what an individual CD may be worth. This is for the non-classical stuff.

You don't say how large the collection you are looking to get rid of. Obviously the price would be inflated if there are any promo, deleted and out of print, signed or Japanese CDs within your collection.

If you really what to chance your luck you could list the CDs on NSC and sit back and await the joke replies on why on earth have you got so and so, and no wonder you want to get rid of it. You may however receive an offer to take 1 or 2 off your hands.

Really depends on how much time and effort you want to put into the process.

You never know you might have the odd gem which may be worth something. (eg. if you had a copy of Live Albuquerque, NM, USA-1976 by Bad Company this is currently fetching £30)

As above. Your only other options would be car boot - where you might sell a handful of the more interesting ones at 50p a go - or stick the job lot in a local auction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My advice is don’t sell them. I sold all my vinyl when I was a student, with the idea I’d replace all the good stuff with CD, and I have regretted it. I regret it so much I have spent the past 5 years searching out the vinyl and repurchasing it.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I took mine to a bootfair and they sold like HOT CAKES! Mind you, that was a few years ago. I didn't ask for much money, i just just wanted to be rid of them and be sure they went on to someone who'd get some enjoyment from them.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have a load of my dad’s classical music cds. I recently listened to a piece via Spotify on an iMac with Bose speakers, then the exact same piece by inserting a CD into the iMac. The CD sounded a LOT better.

Of course.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Old technology, just like vinyl don't you know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just no market in them these days. Just like VHS. The reason you don't want/need them is the same reason no-one else wants/needs them.

VHS is quite problematic really. Pretty sure that due to the mix of plastics used they're not easily recyclable. So all those old Simpsons and Oasis tapes just sit there occupying shelf space and gathering dust.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a load of my dad’s classical music cds. I recently listened to a piece via Spotify on an iMac with Bose speakers, then the exact same piece by inserting a CD into the iMac. The CD sounded a LOT better.

Spotify doesn’t stream in full CD quality. Try the same experiment with a stream from Qobuz or Primephonic. Also, the DAC in a Mac is nothing like as good as the DAC in a CD player; that will account for a lot of difference too.

If you stream at full CD quality through as good a DAC as your CD player has (eg a purpose-built streamer), the output will be as good as a CD - it has to be, it’s just 1s and 0s :smile:

Some streaming companies now offer “Master” quality recordings for part of their catalogue - they’re better than CD quality.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Spotify doesn’t stream in full CD quality. Try the same experiment with a stream from Qobus or Primephonic. Also, the DAC in a Mac is nothing like as good as the DAC in a CD player; that will account for a lot of difference too.

If you stream at full CD quality through as good a DAC as your CD player has (eg a purpose-built streamer), the output will be as good as a CD - it has to be, it’s just 1s and 0s :smile:

Some streaming companies now offer “Master” quality recordings for part of their catalogue - they’re better than CD quality.

Say again ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Say again ?

Yeah, ok, sorry!

Spotify compress their files (a lot) before sending them to you. This reduces the quality of what you hear significantly.

A DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) converts a stream of 1s and 0s (the “digital” signal) to an analogue signal (a sine wave) which you’re amplifier amplifies do that you can hear it through your speakers. Both CDs and streaming services use digital sources, thus you need a DAC in your system to be able to hear anything. All CD players and computers have DACs in them. The DAC in a computer is nowhere close to being as good (accurate) as the DAC in a CD player (or dedicated streamer).

Thus - comparing a CD being played through a CD player, with a Spotify stream being played through a computer, is like comparing oranges and lemons - roughly similar, but not a direct comparison.

If you use a CD quality streaming service, plus a decent DAC, it will sound the same as a CD, simply because the physics say it has to (assuming your broadband connection is fast enough)...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, ok, sorry!

Spotify compress their files (a lot) before sending them to you. This reduces the quality of what you hear significantly.

A DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) converts a stream of 1s and 0s (the “digital” signal) to an analogue signal (a sine wave) which you’re amplifier amplifies do that you can hear it through your speakers. Both CDs and streaming services use digital sources, thus you need a DAC in your system to be able to hear anything. All CD players and computers have DACs in them. The DAC in a computer is nowhere close to being as good (accurate) as the DAC in a CD player (or dedicated streamer).

Thus - comparing a CD being played through a CD player, with a Spotify stream being played through a computer, is like comparing oranges and lemons - roughly similar, but not a direct comparison.

If you use a CD quality streaming service, plus a decent DAC, it will sound the same as a CD, simply because the physics say it has to (assuming your broadband connection is fast enough)...

https://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here