Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pasta maker

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve enrolled on a pasta course and am now thinking ahead to pasta machines. I’m thinking about a hand cranking one, not an automatic one. Anyone on here have any tips, advice etc?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ve enrolled on a pasta course and am now thinking ahead to pasta machines. I’m thinking about a hand cranking one, not an automatic one. Anyone on here have any tips, advice etc?

You will need a lot of patience, start off with something easy, like spaghetti.
Keep your hands floured and dry :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Any of the 'standard' pasta machines will do.

The tip, once you've made the dough, (and assuming you're making spaghetti or tagliatelle) is to roll it through the wringer on a wide setting at first, then each subsequent wring getting thinner and thinner. From there, you can then use on of the 'cutters' to make your shaped pasta. If your dough is made to the right consistency, you will get very long, strong robust tagliatelle.

I then used a clothes horse to hand the tagliatelle on to help it dry out a tad.

You will need a lot of flour on the roller and on the dough. You will probably need a second pair of hands to help you draw the pasta out as it comes through the roller.

Oh, and make sure you find a good worktop to G-cramp it too.

This pasta will only take a couple of minutes to cook, so make sure your sauce is ready well ahead of time.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Does homemade pasta taste much different to shop pasta? Allways wondered?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd leave pasta well alone, I would say its far more rewarding to do home made bread.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Does homemade pasta taste much different to shop pasta? Allways wondered?

Yes, but that's not to say it's always better. Some sauces suit dried pasta. Dried pasta varies greatly as well. I almost always go for cheapish stuff but you'll notice the difference if you splash out every now and then (by splash out, I mean spend about £2).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd leave pasta well alone, I would say its far more rewarding to do home made bread.

Agreed - found pasta such a bind for little reward. Handmade bread on the other hand is wonderfully easy and produces a result better than anything you can buy. I'm going to try pitta for the first time in a couple of weekends.

PS - don't bother with a bread machine. It's not the same.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes, but that's not to say it's always better. Some sauces suit dried pasta. Dried pasta varies greatly as well. I almost always go for cheapish stuff but you'll notice the difference if you splash out every now and then (by splash out, I mean spend about £2).

Always pick dried pasta that is made from durum wheat.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

You can’t be old enough, if you don’t know that it grows on trees, you daft apeth!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'd make it without the machine and, if you make it more than three times, then buy a machine. I had great succes making gnudi. A semolina flour dumpling similar to gnocchi without the potato. Filled with ricotta and spinach. Absolutely wonderful but taking 24 hours to make, with the leaving aside business, a lot of time is involved. I have only made them twice. May do them this week.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Please share your recipe / technique etc.

I agree with others, pasta is a real faf and unless you are a pasta diva anything bought mass produced is good enough and so cheap it isn't worth the effort.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Home made pasta great if you want to fill it. You use fresh, better ingredients to your taste.

Personally I wouldn't with something like tagliatelle.

Waste of time and effort since you buy much better pasta than you can make.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Screenshot_20180806-175457_Chrome.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Home made gnocchi is worth the effort. Easy to make as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here