Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Watching trials (lewes crown court)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Has anyone ever sat in the public gallery to watch a trial?

Is it easy to do?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anyone ever sat in the public gallery to watch a trial?

Is it easy to do?

Not done it myself but I know some who have and I did JS at Lewes - the gallery was maybe half full at most on any given day, some days there was virtually no-one there. I believe the vast majority of trials are open to the public, you can simply turn up (only likely to be restrictions if the session is very sensitive - say involving minors giving evidence for example). Cases are listed so you can choose what you want to watch

Don't say anything controversial if you do go - you never know who's sat in there. If you whisper 'he definitely looks like a nonce to me' to the bloke sat next you, it's bound to be his brother/dad/best mate or something, and you'll also risk getting done for contempt of court.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anything to confess!

If Its a public gallery you have the right to walk in but be advised, give them a call first.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I spent a couple of days watching trials in Brighton a few years. Virtually every case was to do with drugs. People were robbing to feed a habit, shoplifting to feed a habit, gang fights involving drugs. If as a nation this problem could be sorted out then this country would change so much for the better.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I spent a couple of days watching trials in Brighton a few years. Virtually every case was to do with drugs. People were robbing to feed a habit, shoplifting to feed a habit, gang fights involving drugs. If as a nation this problem could be sorted out then this country would change so much for the better.

Agreed. Get legalisation in place and a lot of these problems go away

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am not sure of the best way to deal with things. Perhaps harsher for dealers, but addicts need support and somehow legally being supplied drugs to wean them off. What do I know though.

el punal

A few years ago I went to Southampton’s Combined Courts to observe proceedings. When I went to ‘reception’ the dear old lady clerk advised me to go into Court 3.

“ You’ll like it there,” she said, “all the juicy cases as they’ve been held on remand. Enjoy yourself, love!”

She was right and I did.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Magistrates court. Mostly shoplifters, criminal damage, possession of drugs, minor assaults and driving offences.

Crown court will probably be more interesting cases. I’d echo what the previous posters have said: anyone can go in, but you’ll often have families of defendants sat there in the public gallery, so be discreet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I sat in on a few trials at Worthing magistrates as a student. I always called ahead to ask if they were open trials, but I didn’t have to book.

One of the defendants fell asleep in the box mid trial and proceeded to piss themselves :cheers:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been loads of times to court. It was a great way to spend the day when we were students. Sat through a trial at Lewes of a bloke found guilty of raping a baby - that was a traumatic experience.

The former Mrs G was a barrister so I went a couple of times to see her in action

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Never been a spectator but loved being on JS. It is shocking how self-employed citizens are far to willing to find someone guilty, so they can get back to earning a living.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I loved JS. The first case was a rape trial - the CPS barrister was, I'm sure, some form of Barrister superstar in the making. The way he utterly dismantled the defendant, piece by piece, over about 4 days of cross-examination was incredible, it really was. The defendant's barrister was a total joke by comparison.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've been loads of times to court. It was a great way to spend the day when we were students. Sat through a trial at Lewes of a bloke found guilty of raping a baby - that was a traumatic experience.

The former Mrs G was a barrister so I went a couple of times to see her in action

got to ask why on earth would you want to sit through the trial involving the baby ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Never been a spectator but loved being on JS. It is shocking how self-employed citizens are far to willing to find someone guilty, so they can get back to earning a living.

Thankfully I have never been chosen for Jury Service, as a self employed sole trader I'm glad really. I could end up losing money and more importantly customers.
I could probably cope with a few days or a week, but a 2 to 3 weeks or more wouldn't be great.

There is something wrong with the system if what you say is happening.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I went into The Old Bailey once, never again.
I asked which court I should go to and once I was in I couldn't get out for some time
It was a child sex case and the little girl was giving evidence.
The defendant, during a break,was moved behind an open door and was sitting there giving wanchor signs to the gallery.
Horrible it was.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved JS. The first case was a rape trial - the CPS barrister was, I'm sure, some form of Barrister superstar in the making. The way he utterly dismantled the defendant, piece by piece, over about 4 days of cross-examination was incredible, it really was. The defendant's barrister was a total joke by comparison.

The prosecution barristers, in the two cases where I served on a Jury, were also class acts. Obviously highly intelligent, great orators, systematically taking apart the lies, whilst playing to the jury.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thankfully I have never been chosen for Jury Service, as a self employed sole trader I'm glad really. I could end up losing money and more importantly customers.
I could probably cope with a few days or a week, but a 2 to 3 weeks or more wouldn't be great.

There is something wrong with the system if what you say is happening.

I served with a couple of 'Hang-em' types, but they weren't allowed to dominate or speed things up in the slightest. The more cerebral members managed it fairly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here