Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seven Years Ago Today - 6/8/2011

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not a bad day, was it?

Can't believe we've been playing at the Amex for seven years already though!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The build up was intense and deeply emotional. Even in an unfinished stadium, the importance of that day was not lost on anybody there. The game was amazing as well, very befitting of the occasion.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Probably my favourite day so far still, such an emotionally charged day....

We had arrived back in our own shiny new stadium, the optimism around the ground was electric, and boy what a finish....

I cried a lot that day, and I am not ashamed to say it..

[yt]Ysly-4P968c[/yt]

el punal

I remember getting to the Amex early, just as the gates were opened 12.00/12.30ish. As my seat is in the West Upper I had refused to go on any of the pre-match tours to view the stadium. I wanted THAT moment to be savoured for our first match. Anyway, my pre-match objective was to indulge in the catering side of things - a Piglets Steak & Ale pie, a pint and more of Harvey’s, followed by one of those diddly bottles of red wine.

Refreshingly lubricated I climbed the steps from the concourse into the stadium itself. I was absolutely bowled over by the size of the ground and how high the WSU is. I spent half an hour going around the stand checking out the incredible views, then returning to my seat for the pre-match build up which was loud, and just got louder until that tumultuous arrival of the team.

Truly wonderful stuff!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What a day that was , i remember as clear as it was yesterday walking up the steps from the concourse of the Northstand and just being in awe of the stadium , the smell of the grass was just beautiful , i looked up at the west stand and it seemed to just go on and on , everything about that day was just perfect , the pre match pint with friends the train ride to falmer from Brighton thousands of genuinely happy people waiting in anticipation for what was to come , and bloody hell how good was that , i don't care you say or think about Buckley but things like what happened that day only happen in books and Channel 4 films , i remember finally getting home still smiling and thinking to myself i'll always remember this day and so far that's true .

Clubs with their own stadium at that time would probably think what's all the fuss about , but they simply do not know the journey we had been on to get to where we were , yes they may have read about it and seen glimpses of our fans protesting on the TV but when you support a club you insulate yourself in a way from other clubs goings on .

Brilliant day and right up there with my all time favorite days ever , to all those people that stuck with the club through all the shyte ,then shone a light in the valliant Dick Knight from doom and gloom too Tony Bloom , the certifiable fans that followed us to Gillingham the marchers to Archers i salute you , you made that day possible .

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Couldn't have picked a better fairy tale ending. One of the best moments of my life when that goal went in.

As per my signature...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was amazing but I couldn't relax till November. With such a huge increase in attandance I was expecting a large amount of tinpot behaviour by glory seeking newbies who actually 'supported' Chelsea or ManU. Fortunately my fears were missplaced and by Novemeber I finally...... exhaled. :lolol:

Never really started enjoying it (going proper bat shit mental, entirely focused on our actual football performance and prospects) till the Hughton era, to be honest. Poyet was never really working for us, and the two successors were not here long enough to make an impact (one good, the other bad).

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, was that really SEVEN years ago? Wow.

Yes, what a day. When in 2101 they publish the history of the second century of the Albion's existence the 6th of August 2011 will be the generally-accepted day on which the Golden Age of Brighton and Hove Albion officially began.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It really was tears of joy at kick off, Albion were finally back.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have Buckley photo displayed in spare room. Seems like yesterday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here