Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The New Kit - A Youngster’s View

el punal

Alright, I know there are other threads about our new clobber but, with apologies to those who disagree, I thought I would throw in my ten year old grandson’s opinion. This weekend just gone we celebrated his birthday. Now the little man is football mad and Albion mad, reads and watches anything and everything about our fabulous team. Getting him a present proved no problem at all - the new kit and all the trimmings.

Now us grown-ups, as per recent comments about the kit, are a critical and cynical bunch regarding club merchandise, rightly or wrongly. So here are my grandson’s views on the strip in no particular order of appreciation :

His name and number boldly printed on the back of the shirt.

The Premier League badge on each sleeve

The styled collar

Sussex By The Sea on the back of the collar he raved about and promptly burst into GOSBTS

The white shorts he reckoned were better than the blue ones

The socks were brilliant, particularly with the black fade hoop

All in all he was absolutely cock a hoop about all of it. The only problem he had were the socks - should he wear them above the knee (Bruno-esque style) or the traditional below the knee? Decisions! Decisions!

As grown ups and ultimately the wallet emptiers in purchasing club merchandise we do quibble about the cost of stuff. All that disappeared at the reaction of joy when our grandson received his present - that alone was worth every penny spent. We adults should remember and appreciate that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hey, we’re all youngsters on here. As if grown-ups would waste time moaning about new kits ...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If our kit was poo brown and you gave him it , he would probably have the same reaction.

That said , I thought it was a pretty drab kit and didn't like the dominant white of it. However , after properly seeing It on Fri . It's actually pretty decent. Even the stripes at the bottom of the back look ok with the white. Decent overall

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My son is 15. His kit arrived just in time for his b'day a couple of weeks back (always seems to be a day or two after the release date... handy!)

One PL patch, shirt sleeve sponsor to be added later. No name and number yet... can't decide. Loves the SbtS but, like me, wishes it was outside not in.

Was a huge fan of last seasons kit but prefers this one. Hates the green though! Of course.

My view is that it looks 'off' without a name and number. I do wish they'd produce an all stripe version for those of us who don't want to add a name instead of the white box.

el punal

If our kit was poo brown and you gave him it , he would probably have the same reaction.

That said , I thought it was a pretty drab kit and didn't like the dominant white of it. However , after properly seeing It on Fri . It's actually pretty decent. Even the stripes at the bottom of the back look ok with the white. Decent overall

Point 1 - If he received a poo brown kit I reckon he would have thrown it back and told me to get a refund!

Point 2 - I, too, was underwhelmed when I saw photos of the new kit. Having now seen it in the “flesh” I really like it. Much better than last season’s effort with those stupid two tone sleeves. This season’s effort has a distinct “clean” look about it and I like the prominent white effect. Not keen on the silly red stripey thing on the back though.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The only problem he had were the socks - should he wear them above the knee (Bruno-esque style) or the traditional below the knee? Decisions! Decisions!

Bruno is a fashion icon, if he's wearing them above the knees, we all should.

I too wish GOSBTS was outside the shirt, or even a little Sussex flag.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Issue I have is buying the home kit for the grandson who’s six u get a cheap version stick on badges that come off as his kit from last season has also no American Express on it either so the fact the badges just come off waste of £40 . However they do the “right “ size in away kit as per last season why is this ? Bought both for him last season . Happy to do it again as he Mum says he lives in the kits and keeps the flag flying in cornwall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Too much white on the back. But I'm not a massive fan of last seasons kit either. The 2015/2016 kit with the black Nike tick is my favourite

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am 50. My shirt arrived just in time for my b'day a couple of weeks back (always seems to be a day or two after the release date... handy!)

No name and number yet... can't decide. Loves the SbtS but, like me, wishes it was outside not in.

Was a huge fan of last seasons kit but prefers this one. Hates the green though! Of course.

My view is that it looks 'off' without a name and number. I do wish they'd produce an all stripe version for those of us who don't want to add a name instead of the white box.

Updated for my views! [emoji3]

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Alright, I know there are other threads about our new clobber but, with apologies to those who disagree, I thought I would throw in my ten year old grandson’s opinion. This weekend just gone we celebrated his birthday. Now the little man is football mad and Albion mad, reads and watches anything and everything about our fabulous team. Getting him a present proved no problem at all - the new kit and all the trimmings.

Now us grown-ups, as per recent comments about the kit, are a critical and cynical bunch regarding club merchandise, rightly or wrongly. So here are my grandson’s views on the strip in no particular order of appreciation :

His name and number boldly printed on the back of the shirt.

The Premier League badge on each sleeve

The styled collar

Sussex By The Sea on the back of the collar he raved about and promptly burst into GOSBTS

The white shorts he reckoned were better than the blue ones

The socks were brilliant, particularly with the black fade hoop

All in all he was absolutely cock a hoop about all of it. The only problem he had were the socks - should he wear them above the knee (Bruno-esque style) or the traditional below the knee? Decisions! Decisions!

As grown ups and ultimately the wallet emptiers in purchasing club merchandise we do quibble about the cost of stuff. All that disappeared at the reaction of joy when our grandson received his present - that alone was worth every penny spent. We adults should remember and appreciate that.
Thank you, el punal, for this wonderfully refreshing post! I am a grumpy old whinger who refuses to buy another shirt until there's stripes all round (I'll be waiting a long time!) and goes on and on bemoaning the fact that our shirts look unfinished (this season) or like 3 different shirts cobbled together(last season). Reading about your little lad's reaction, I shall stop moaning and just rejoice in the fact that HE loves it. As something of an old git, I should realise that your grandson is the future of our Club, and his opinion should be heard above my belly-aching. Hats off to him, too, if he lives in or around Southampton and is proud to wear his new kit in the face (no doubt) of a hostile reaction from young Scummers. Thank you again for an uplifting post!:thumbsup:

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Socks must be pushed down so they’re bunched at the ankles (with matchboxes for shin pads). Flair.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Socks must be pushed down so they’re bunched at the ankles (with matchboxes for shin pads). Flair.

Alternatively, above the knee with shabby chic faux moth holes, as modelled by Danny Rose.

image.jpeg

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I love the green kit. LOVE IT.

On the same theme; I'd love it if we beat Liverpool in that kit.... LOVE IT!

To say negative things about a kit like that, well remember: you need a strong hand to be a mean man.

The shed (subtle)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here