Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - New Centre Back

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If the Mail are to believed (and they’re generally not), we seem to have bid £3m for Wigan’s giant defender Dan Burn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...on-8m-bid-Jack-OConnell-3m-Dan-Burn-move.html

It seems that he is part of the cluster we are looking at and if we are not going to be held to ransom by Sheff Utd or Reading, this could be a smart move.

At 6”7, he towers above Duffy & Dunk and could be a good fill in for the former in terms of ability in the air.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That seems a sensible price to pay for a 4th choice cover as opposed to what we have been rumoured to have been quoted for Moore and O Connell. He is 26 years old and had a career so far in the lower leagues so gained some experience only CH will have any idea on whether he will make the step up required.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That seems a sensible price to pay for a 4th choice cover as opposed to what we have been rumoured to have been quoted for Moore and O Connell.

He also missed the first game of the season like Moore (although there seemed to be an injury doubt).

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Hasn't been rubbished by the Argus either...

Capture2.JPG

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I would be concerned he could step up, but, TBF, if CH believes he can, then he probably can.

BG still fails to understand that we are not looking for a 4th choice CB, but rather a CB who can genuinely compete with our current CB’s... what a shock that is! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be concerned he could step up, but, TBF, if CH believes he can, then he probably can.

BG still fails to understand that we are not looking for a 4th choice CB, but rather a CB who can genuinely compete with our current CB’s... what a shock that is! [emoji6]

That is the point I dont think that we are. I would suggest that at the right price we are looking for a player who can be 4th choice if needed or offer competition but AT THE RIGHT PRICE. Depends on what you can get for your money. ie. £10m+ either a competent player or one with potential to offer competition. At £3m a 4th choice cover for the next season or perhaps 2 as per Hunemier.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not sure he’d pass a medical with a broken foot.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dan Burn - New Centre Back Rumour

That is the point I dont think that we are. I would suggest that at the right price we are looking for a player who can be 4th choice if needed or offer competition but AT THE RIGHT PRICE. Depends on what you can get for your money. ie. £10m+ either a competent player or one with potential to offer competition. At £3m a 4th choice cover for the next season or perhaps 2 as per Hunemier.

Actually I agree, I think we are looking for reliable cover.

Given Dunk and Duffy would cost £15m - £30m, unless it’s a free transfer like Balogun, no way will we spend the sort of money required to buy a first team ready CB who will displace either of the current first choice pair.

Edit - Reckon Moore will end up at Middlesbrough.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That is the point I dont think that we are. I would suggest that at the right price we are looking for a player who can be 4th choice if needed or offer competition but AT THE RIGHT PRICE. Depends on what you can get for your money. ie. £10m+ either a competent player or one with potential to offer competition. At £3m a 4th choice cover for the next season or perhaps 2.

No BG - you just don’t get it... there is a big difference between signing James Collins (your previous ridiculous suggestion) or Huth (who you stupidly suggested earlier in this thread), versus Moore or JOC or even Burn. Your suggestions would be a complete waste of wages, only adding another body to the squad and about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The players we have actually bid for (Moore), or at least shown an interest in (JOC, maybe Burn) would provide real competition, and would be able to contribute in a meaningful way if called upon to play for the first team.

In summary:
You were wrong, and you are very much still wrong, and you really need to stop digging...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The players we have actually bid for (Moore), or at least shown an interest in (JOC, maybe Burn) would provide real competition, and would be able to contribute in a meaningful way if called upon to play for the first team.

Real competition - No
Contribute in a meaningful way if required - Yes

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Actually I agree, I think we are looking for reliable cover.

Given Dunk and Duffy would cost £15m - £30m, unless it’s a free transfer like Balogun, no way will we spend the sort of money required to buy a first team ready CB who will displace either of the current first choice pair.

Edit - Reckon Moore will end up at Middlesbrough.

Oh dear... aligning yourself with the clown BG... hang your head in shame...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No BG - you just don’t get it... there is a big difference between signing James Collins (your previous ridiculous suggestion) or Huth (who you stupidly suggested earlier in this thread), versus Moore or JOC or even Burn. Your suggestions would be a complete waste of wages, only adding another body to the squad and about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The players we have actually bid for (Moore), or at least shown an interest in (JOC, maybe Burn) would provide real competition, and would be able to contribute in a meaningful way if called upon to play for the first team.

In summary:
You were wrong, and you are very much still wrong, and you really need to stop digging...

The competition for Dunk and Duffy is provided by Balogun the others being mentioned would not displace either D or D. what we are looking for is a cover if both are out as if iit were only 1 Balogun would provide the cover.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Real competition - No
Contribute in a meaningful way if required - Yes

Well, you are entitled to your opinion... please try to keep in mind that the only confirmed bids are for Moore, who would be expected to put real pressure on D, D & B...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh dear... aligning yourself with the clown BG... hang your head in shame...

No just an opinion.
There is simply no evidence to suggest that either Moore or JOC would challenge, Dunk or Duffy.

I can’t see why we would waste £10m for either Moore or JOC. They really aren’t that good, neither better than Goldson IMO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, you are entitled to your opinion... please try to keep in mind that the only confirmed bids are for Moore, who would be expected to put real pressure on D, D & B...

and JOC but it depends on how much we value either at possibly top whack £8m as above that you need a player to step straight into the side above D and D. We had a player comparable to Moore and JOC who wanted 1st team football so we let him go for a minimal fee allegedly. We are trying to replace him at much the same fee.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes but the original confirmed bid was £5m then possibly £8m.

I would say £5m is what you’d pay for cover not a starter.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The competition for Dunk and Duffy is provided by Balogun the others being mentioned would not displace either D or D. what we are looking for is a cover if both are out as if iit were only 1 Balogun would provide the cover.

Glad you’re still digging... I actually agree that B is real competition for D & D, but don’t agree we should sign a chocolate teapot like Collins or Huth. Just to remind you that there is no confirmation of the Burn bid, but our bids for Moore and interest in JOC are confirmed. All of these are much better targets than your suggestions...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
At least he can see the logic and possibilities and is not blinkered

You do know who he suggested!!?? [emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports