Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Thousands queuing for trains at Brighton station

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It was bad though. Who'd have known that on a hot sunny Pride Saturday 100's of thousands of people would flock to Brighton and then, unbelievably, want to go home?
I was driving past at 11:00 and it was chaos.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yet again Southern Fail and other railway authorities show they are utterly unable to run a railway service. Disgraceful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It sort of defeats the object of the city trying to create a great visitor experience when huge numbers of those visitors' overriding memory will be of a great day out ruined by the ever-shitty trains.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It sort of defeats the object of the city trying to create a great visitor experience when huge numbers of those visitors' overriding memory will be of a great day out ruined by the ever-shitty trains.

Any chance of a photo of the aftermath in Preston Park this morning?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not a lot to see today. The big green wall is still up all round the park for the LoveBN1Fest that's on later. Looking forward to Roweta, Gabrielle, Jess Glynne and Nile Rodgers with Chic. Us PP residents got offered up to 4 tickets free. Which was nice.

Not checked our front garden for mobile phones yet. Most years there's one in there. Always fun scrolling through the 'did you get the stuff?' messages while trying to find someone to contact to reunite the phone with it's owner :lol:

To be fair to the Pride organisers and the council clean-up team, the clean-up operation is usually pretty impressive and the park is back to normal by midweek.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Its will be a mess, but thats to be expected when you have in the region of 60 000 people in one place , Pride pays for the clean up that will happen over the next couple of days. Wait until that process has been completed and then lets see what it looks like.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The coastguards were on full alert as many party goers spent the night on the beach, instead of going home.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
They were very poor for the friendly against Nantes,making the Station concorse smaller,i complained that they were not using common sense and got the usual “crowd control measures “.Which in turn allowed trains to go without passengers but many people still at the Station.Going to be fun for this season!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I think after this year the organisers are going to sit down and ask some questions concerning how the event is handled in the future. Britney was a huge catch for the event and I'd wager there were a great deal of folk who came down purely to see her with everything else being a tad peripheral.

So suddenly, rather than folk seeing the act in the evening as part of the wider festival (i.e. staying down on Saturday night), they all want to go home at a similar time (i.e. after Britney finished). Add to this the normal contingent who only come down for the day and you have all the ingredients necessary for what happened last night. They could have had trains running at full capacity and the waits and queues would have been substantial. My guess is that they realised letting all those people into the station was a bigger risk than having them wait outside.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
There were issues before Britney finished her set ,remember London Road station shut therefore local people had to use Brighton station

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I think after this year the organisers are going to sit down and ask some questions concerning how the event is handled in the future. Britney was a huge catch for the event and I'd wager there were a great deal of folk who came down purely to see her with everything else being a tad peripheral.

So suddenly, rather than folk seeing the act in the evening as part of the wider festival (i.e. staying down on Saturday night), they all want to go home at a similar time (i.e. after Britney finished). Add to this the normal contingent who only come down for the day and you have all the ingredients necessary for what happened last night. They could have had trains running at full capacity and the waits and queues would have been substantial. My guess is that they realised letting all those people into the station was a bigger risk than having them wait outside.[/QUOTE
Closing other Stations ,this year London Rd,will mean more local people at Brighton Station,they appear to have less trained staff and less trains ,there were issues before Britney finished her set.

Agreed, I'm merely positing that the extra influx due to Britney added more strain to facilities which can barely cope at the best of times.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It was bad though. Who'd have known that on a hot sunny Pride Saturday 100's of thousands of people would flock to Brighton and then, unbelievably, want to go home?
I was driving past at 11:00 and it was chaos.

And this after the chaos in London in the morning in trying to get a ticket as machines broke down and people waiting an hour just to buy or collect a ticket.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

So suddenly, rather than folk seeing the act in the evening as part of the wider festival (i.e. staying down on Saturday night), they all want to go home at a similar time (i.e. after Britney finished). Add to this the normal contingent who only come down for the day and you have all the ingredients necessary for what happened last night. They could have had trains running at full capacity and the waits and queues would have been substantial. My guess is that they realised letting all those people into the station was a bigger risk than having them wait outside.

I'm thinking if there is a lesson to be learnt by the organisers it would be to maybe have the headliner on earlydoors so that there's not the totally predictable scramble for the few available late evening trains. It's exactly the same scenario as Amex 3pm kick-off vs Amex 7.45pm kick-off. Need to give people options of getting home after an event.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here