Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Richard Keogh

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't you think Derby may have just checked the legality first ???

Not if that's the full story.

Of course, there may be other reasons (although they weren't mentioned in the report) but if a club says we're not pay a player full wages because he's injured that will have massive implications for football.

And employers do illegal things all the time, if they didn't, there'd be no need for employment tribunals

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not if that's the full story.

Of course, there may be other reasons (although they weren't mentioned in the report) but if a club says we're not pay a player full wages because he's injured that will have massive implications for football.

And employers do illegal things all the time, if they didn't, there'd be no need for employment tribunals

This could be Derby's initial stance with a view of agreeing an out of court settlement at a cost below paying his full wages for the rest of the contract, and get him out of their sight.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Derby jumping the gun, a bit.

Johnson’s bill hasn’t wrecked worker’s rights just yet, they should have waited till after Brexit.:ffsparr:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Double standards? Taking the opportunity to unload an old player, whilst drink/crash driver and adored younger asset Tom Lawrence stays.

This! Offload the older crocked player on the big wages and just do a fluffy PR job with the more valuable assets. Very well played by Derby if we assume their employment law chaps have done their homework.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This! Offload the older crocked player on the big wages and just do a fluffy PR job with the more valuable assets. Very well played by Derby if we assume their employment law chaps have done their homework.

I saw this coming the moment the incident was publicised. The club were never in a month of Sunday’s going to get rid of golden boy Tom Lawrence. After all the Chelsea/Liverpool loanees left, he’s the only player who puts bums on seats.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Can he lawfully be sacked for being injured and therefore unable to work? The difference with most football injuries is that he did not sustain it doing his job.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Lawyers are going to have a field day with that - Derby haven't a leg to stand on (a bit like Keogh really)

IF they sacked him because he refuses to take a paycut and or sign a new contract, then Derby are being somewhat daft. BUT there has to be more to it than that.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Guess there is more to that story then meets the eye, no way could you sack someone for being injured by a fellow employee who has broken the law and yet been retained?
For a professional sports player, there are possibly clauses in the contract that forbid reckless actions which endanger health - so knowingly getting into a car being driven by a drink driver could well be a contract breaker.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For a professional sports player, there are possibly clauses in the contract that forbid reckless actions which endanger health - so knowingly getting into a car being driven by a drink driver could well be a contract breaker.

This. I would imagine most players will have clauses relating to negligence. For example didn't that idiot Bendtner at Arsenal bemoan to the fans that his high wages were justified as he was never allowed to go on skiing holidays.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But actually being a drunk driver apparently isn't recklessly endangering their health by the other players.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
But actually being a drunk driver apparently isn't recklessly endangering their health by the other players.

Comparing it an ordinary job, I assume that if I get done for drink driving and avoid injury and prison that I’d keep my job. However if I was a passenger in a car driven by a drink driver and got injured to the extent that I couldn’t work for 18 months I doubt my company would keep me on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lawyers are going to have a field day with that - Derby haven't a leg to stand on (a bit like Keogh really)

Is this the case though? Wouldn’t most people be relieved of their job if I they were unable to fullfill their duties for 18 months or so? There was a debate on this site about this situation with a hospital worker a few months back.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pretty damming on the face of it re Derby’s treatment of Keogh....but the worst bit in that article is the other two making a dash for it and leaving Keogh unconscious :moo:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Is this the case though? Wouldn’t most people be relieved of their job if I they were unable to fullfill their duties for 18 months or so? There was a debate on this site about this situation with a hospital worker a few months back.

Was the hospital worker incapacitated by his workmates? If so I think he would have good grounds for wrongful dismissal, as has Keogh - unless there is something that’s not being said...!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

WIll Keogh be able to sue one or both of the drivers under their insurance for loss of earnings?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here