Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] August 12th 2018, Albions PL season part deux.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This coming weekend, August 11th/12th, will mark a second season in the PL, for the Albion.
This has been, for me personally a great enjoyment, to see the ups and downs, of how our team have endured to survive and stay for another season.
Since the home game v Man City, last season, records have continuously been broken, whether it's the Amex attendance, scoring Albions first PL goal, the transfer record being broken or even CH not being banned for his pitchside antics.
The club has move forward at an alarming rate, which I think is good, whilst learning the PL way en-route.
Everyone in Sussex and outside, associated with the club, has benefited from this new journey.
From Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, Chris Hughton and the rest of the Albion team, I'm honoured and excited to be a part of the PL season part deux.
Onwards and upwards :albion2::ascarf::albion:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The one thing that I find really amazing is how widely the Albion are now known across the world.
Just from my experiences in Singapore and Japan, if you mention that you are Brighton, then more than not a lengthy conversation will start about the PL, and Brighton being part of that.

The contrasts greatly from about 20 years ago in Florida, when wearing an Albion T Shirt in one of the Parks, when there were only snide comments from fellow Brits of 'bet they don't sell many of them'

Whatever happens this season will be fun, and hopefully we have taken another huge step towards consolidation in the PL

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Midlands people have always had an interest in 'the other Albion' having two of their own.My next-doors but one are dedicated Rainbow stand Baggies and we quite often bore people in our local with Albion tales.Despite all the pre-season whinging about players (I think some have found their new Ashley Barnes in Solly),I'm very confident we will do better than last season.UTA :albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last season we appeared defensive and naive at times, now we have added what looks like some real quality players pre-season our away form will dramatically improve.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Im feeling very optimistic about the new season.

Last season we knew it would take time to settle into life in the Premier league, very few of our squad had any experience at this level and we had a number of players new to the English game at any level.

And so it proved, not until the end of January did we find our feet and consistently show that we could survive at this level. Before the 1-1 draw at Southampton, on the last day of January, we went 6 games in a row without scoring on our travels.

But by February the penny dropped, we began to gain confidence and we tightened up our biggest Achilles heel, defending set pieces.

In the first 25 games of the season we conceded 34 goals. A ridiculous 14 of those came from set pieces, that's over 40%. We could all see the problem and thankfully Chris managed to do something about it. From February onwards, in the final 13 games of the season we conceded 20 goals, but importantly only 2 of those came from set pieces. A massive 30% improvement.

This season will not be easy, but we now have a squad with the experience of last season to draw upon, sprinkled with some really exciting new talent. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma can do for us this season, but Im glad we can allow them, and the other new faces, time to bed in and acclimatise from the subs bench, without having to throw them in at the deep end too soon.

Bring it on!

If i could ask the board/management team to change one thing from last season it would be this: - In the games where we have no real hope of winning (away to liverpool/chelsea etc) then at least give some of the new boys a run out as 2nd half sub..we were very poor last year away (except West Ham - Best game away of the season!) so we need to change things around. Maybe also play 2 up front at home against a few of the "weaker" teams as an experiment once we have some points on the board. With the luxury of 4 strikers to please 1 up front will mean 3 of them not getting much game time.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Improvement this season would mean we create more shots, score more goals, win more games and gain more points than last season. We took our time to understand the league last season and should have that as an advantage this time around, we have recruited very well and now have competition for each position and if we play like we did from February then things will go very well.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Met a “spurs fan” last week (he lives on Isle of Man and watched them live once last season). When I told him I was a Brighton fan he said it was a shame how the club went downhill towards the end of last season and he wishes that they had stayed up. I corrected him and didn’t speak to him again. Sums the top 6 of the PL up for me.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The one thing that I find really amazing is how widely the Albion are now known across the world.
Just from my experiences in Singapore and Japan, if you mention that you are Brighton, then more than not a lengthy conversation will start about the PL, and Brighton being part of that.

The contrasts greatly from about 20 years ago in Florida, when wearing an Albion T Shirt in one of the Parks, when there were only snide comments from fellow Brits of 'bet they don't sell many of them'

Whatever happens this season will be fun, and hopefully we have taken another huge step towards consolidation in the PL

I went to Barbados about 12 years ago and whilst wearing a Brighton shirt was approached by a funky smelling local trying to sell me his horticultural goodies, his opening gambit was "I love your shirt man, go Wigan!" :ffsparr:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am hoping that we now have the players to not sit back and invite the opposition on when we take a lead.
Their are always times in a match when you are under pressure of course and we do have a good defence but let's try and not sit back on a lead this season please.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
This season I’m pinning all my hopes and dreams on Ali to become the new Mahrez, and the first ‘world class’ player to play for Albion.

Aside from Bas Savage, of course.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here