Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drinks at the Amex.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I consume a reasonable amount of the amber stuff at most matches, but there are two things that irritate me about doing that, firstly, I never manage to get away from the bar without slopping a good mouthful on the floor due to the flimsy cup, and that the cup goes straight in the bin once I have emptied it.
I have a solution for both these problems and wondered how the rest of you would feel about it, if this change was made.

The idea is to change the cups to a sturdier re-usable plastic cup, and to ensure these are not just chucked away, as currently happens, to have a returnable deposit on the cup of say £2 or £3.
Basically it would be as they already do at Rugby, Cricket and festivals around the country, the problem for football is you can't take it to your seat, so at half time, there would be an added operation of getting your deposit back in an already tight time frame that involves queuing, buying, drinking, micturating and returning to seat.
Is this half time lack of time, the only problem from a supporters point of view, or am I missing some other problem?
And would a sturdy cup and saving the planet, be compensation enough for a minute less to do one of the other half time necessities?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I consume a reasonable amount of the amber stuff at most matches, but there are two things that irritate me about doing that, firstly, I never manage to get away from the bar without slopping a good mouthful on the floor due to the flimsy cup, and that the cup goes straight in the bin once I have emptied it.
I have a solution for both these problems and wondered how the rest of you would feel about it, if this change was made.

The idea is to change the cups to a sturdier re-usable plastic cup, and to ensure these are not just chucked away, as currently happens, to have a returnable deposit on the cup of say £2 or £3.
Basically it would be as they already do at Rugby, Cricket and festivals around the country, the problem for football is you can't take it to your seat, so at half time, there would be an added operation of getting your deposit back in an already tight time frame that involves queuing, buying, drinking, micturating and returning to seat.
Is this half time lack of time, the only problem from a supporters point of view, or am I missing some other problem?
And would a sturdy cup and saving the planet, be compensation enough for a minute less to do one of the other half time necessities?

What about a plastic cup much like those that you can get a coffee shops with a lid that goes over the top, you could logo it up for the Albion. Buy one fill it up with your pint drink your pint and then re fill it, lets face it if your having a few at the match you don't give two hoots if it's washed or the staff could give it a quick rinse just before they top you up, take it home... bobs ya uncle

Attachments

• eCoffee-12Oz-MoltoGrigio.jpg
    eCoffee-12Oz-MoltoGrigio.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,888

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never buy a beer at a game as I go to watch the football but we are not all the same but to overcome your problem could you not be given a solid plastic glass for a deposit as you say but then you keep it and have it refilled as required until you have finished with it after the game when you return it to get your deposit back. I dont know if that would be practical because when I go to buy my Bovril I notice there are lines of pre-poured Lager on the back fitting and that is before kick off so would assume it is worse at half time.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
You need to finish your pint before resuming your seat - so... if they sold BHA branded reusable cups, that when you've finished the drink you can take to your seat, then that might sort it. Starbucks do this - it's a quid for a dishwasher safe cup and lid (both much sturdier than normal), and each time you use it for a coffee/tea/whatever, you get 25p knocked off the price.

This is a good idea, although would slightly delay the distribution of the beer as they often pour a number ready for punters. Would only need an additional option on the till for, say, a 25p reusable cup discount.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You need to finish your pint before resuming your seat - so... if they sold BHA branded reusable cups, that when you've finished the drink you can take to your seat, then that might sort it. Starbucks do this - it's a quid for a dishwasher safe cup and lid (both much sturdier than normal), and each time you use it for a coffee/tea/whatever, you get 25p knocked off the price.

This is a good idea, although would slightly delay the distribution of the beer as they often pour a number ready for punters. Would only need an additional option on the till for, say, a 25p reusable cup discount.

That is kinda what I was alluding to, and very do able and the albion could make money from this so could be an attractive idea to them, maybe we should go to Barber & Bloom in "The Seagulls Nest" and see if they are willing to invest in our idea (60/40 split I posted first ok ?)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Do you need a deposit scheme? Can’t we just be trusted to not steal them?

No you buy the logo cup and it's yours and they simply refill it and knock off an amount because you have cup/glass, not much maybe £2 and you can either take it home or leave it to be washed for future use or recycled

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
problem with re using the same cup is that it would slow things down as you couldn't pre pour, and also hygiene in that the end of the beer tap usually goes into the top of the pint. Keeping the empty cup and taking it into the stadium would work for me, could cause a jam at the entrances to the stands though as stewards check to make sure the cup is empty, or enforce drinking up, not sure about ground regs though, if someone put the cup to their lips and consumed the couple of drips in the bottom, would that be a breach of the law?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
They do that at Eintracht Frankfurt.. They charge a deposit for your first beer, then you bring back the old one when getting your new one.. At the end you give the last cup(s) back and get your deposit back..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
or just ask for a spare empty one and slide the full pint one into it - then you have a sturdy one with no flex

That is what my brother does but when plastic glasses first started being used we had solid plastic glasses that were virtually as solid as a glass then washed them in the same manner as the glasses. Probably not practical at a football ground because of the washing and the number required

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've been to other football grounds where beer and cider is sold in plastic bottles, I would like see this option.
Obviously keep selling pints of Harvey's and whatever crap lager is on sale these days.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That is what my brother does but when plastic glasses first started being used we had solid plastic glasses that were virtually as solid as a glass then washed them in the same manner as the glasses. Probably not practical at a football ground because of the washing and the number required

You just collect them all during the match and wash them later, several days between matches usually so wouldn't be a problem, but you need the same amount of re usable cups as you would disposable ones for one match

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
They do that at Eintracht Frankfurt.. They charge a deposit for your first beer, then you bring back the old one when getting your new one.. At the end you give the last cup(s) back and get your deposit back..

They don't have the no alcohol in sight of the pitch nonsense though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Get one of the cardboard supports from Costa/Starbucks. Presto... extra support/reusable/no deposit. Job done.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You just collect them all during the match and wash them later, several days between matches usually so wouldn't be a problem, but you need the same amount of re usable cups as you would disposable ones for one match

The washing isnt the major problem as much as the number required, I dont know but what is the average number of pints sold in each concourse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here