Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] East Sussex County Council cuts services to 'legal minimum'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A second Conservative-run council has set out plans to strip back services to the "legal minimum" amid calls for talks with central government.

East Sussex County Council (ESCC) said it had saved £129m since 2010 and had to be realistic about the future.

The authority has confirmed it may only be able to offer services it is legally obliged to provide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45058677

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A second Conservative-run council has set out plans to strip back services to the "legal minimum" amid calls for talks with central government.

East Sussex County Council (ESCC) said it had saved £129m since 2010 and had to be realistic about the future.

The authority has confirmed it may only be able to offer services it is legally obliged to provide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45058677

Keep ya nose out of East Sussex matters.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If its anything like Northamptonshire, it is in really deep do-doo's.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If its anything like Northamptonshire, it is in really deep do-doo's.

And Somerset, and I would guess many others on the brink.
Appalling cuts when the councils have to deal with vulnerable children, fostering, adoption amongst many other so important issues.
Council tax will rise along with every other penny they can get their hands on.
The government seems to think that councils should survive on their income alone, with more cuts to come next year.
Kids who get free school meals in Plymouth are going hungry in the holidays.
Today on R4 women cant afford sanitary towels, or stuff to keep themselves clean, kids turning up dirty.
Food banks 13% up on stuff for kids.
Schools begging for pencils.
Bangladesh? Haiti? Ethiopia?
No.
Britain in the 21st century.
I wish this cruel, wicked Government, who seem to get nearly everything wrong and clearly hate the poor and needy would just go away.
Its all very sad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Keep ya nose out of East Sussex matters.

I do want a point or two for resisting the temptation to mock t'other Sussex

(nothing to do with 'what goes around...')

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Appalling cuts when the councils have to deal with vulnerable children, fostering, adoption amongst many other so important issues.
The government seems to think that councils should survive on their income alone, with more cuts to come next year.
Today on R4 women cant afford sanitary towels, or stuff to keep themselves clean, kids turning up dirty.
No.
I wish this cruel, wicked Government, who seem to get nearly everything wrong and clearly hate the poor and needy would just go away.
Its all very sad.

There is a limit to which they can increase Council Tax, otherwise councils could increase their tax take and still provide these services. Sadly we are stuck in this cycle whereby government austerity, forced on local councils, will continue as councils use up their savings and contingency funds. But, on paper it looks like local councils are making the cuts rather than the " Not me Guv " Tory government...… so continuing austerity, wages based on the Minimum Wage, a social care timebomb and cuts to Police, Fire and Health services yet the Tories are seen as the party of good governance ?

It's not a great time for Timmy to stand as councillor for Withdean, those in the Tory party who can are edging out the door and allowing the newbie Tories to carry the can and explain why grandma has to wait 9 months for a hip op.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is a limit to which they can increase Council Tax, otherwise councils could increase their tax take and still provide these services. Sadly we are stuck in this cycle whereby government austerity, forced on local councils, will continue as councils use up their savings and contingency funds. But, on paper it looks like local councils are making the cuts rather than the " Not me Guv " Tory government...… so continuing austerity, wages based on the Minimum Wage, a social care timebomb and cuts to Police, Fire and Health services yet the Tories are seen as the party of good governance ?

It's not a great time for Timmy to stand as councillor for Withdean, those in the Tory party who can are edging out the door and allowing the newbie Tories to carry the can and explain why grandma has to wait 9 months for a hip op.

Slash and burn for the Tories now, get what they can before doing a runner and leaving Labour to clear up the mess

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and meanwhile companies like Amazon increase their UK profits and actually pay less Tax.

No.
Its all very sad.

Nail, head.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
Before councils start moaning they should look at themselves to see the amount of money wasted before cutting services. Here in Hangleton we have rubbish bins being emptied on a Sunday(probably double time) and all sorts of grants being issued for less than worthy causes. A group I am involved in applied for and received a grant for equipment that was not necessary but could be used as the money was available. Although elections are not frequent council staff work in the polling stations and get paid for working there at the same time as getting their normal wage. If they want to work on the elections they should take a days leave. I am sure there are council staff who could give many more examples of wasted time and money which, if dealt with, would reduce the debts considerably.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before councils start moaning they should look at themselves to see the amount of money wasted before cutting services. Here in Hangleton we have rubbish bins being emptied on a Sunday(probably double time) and all sorts of grants being issued for less than worthy causes. A group I am involved in applied for and received a grant for equipment that was not necessary but could be used as the money was available. Although elections are not frequent council staff work in the polling stations and get paid for working there at the same time as getting their normal wage. If they want to work on the elections they should take a days leave. I am sure there are council staff who could give many more examples of wasted time and money which, if dealt with, would reduce the debts considerably.
They could cut post it notes in half and make them last twice as long.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No.
Its all very sad.

Yet the Government can shake the money tree at a moments notice to find £1 Billion for the DUP (Danegeld) £30 Million for President Trump to pop over for a couple of rounds of golf, £34 Million to fund the wedding of Prince Harry I could go on, I keep saying the money is there it's how we choose to spend it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet the Government can shake the money tree at a moments notice to find £1 Billion for the DUP (Danegeld) £30 Million for President Trump to pop over for a couple of rounds of golf, £34 Million to fund the wedding of Prince Harry I could go on, I keep saying the money is there it's how we choose to spend it!

I think you'll find it's because the binmen have worked the odd Sunday, and nothing to do with, as @Brovian says, the likes of Amazon paying derisory amounts of tax.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Slash and burn for the Tories now, get what they can before doing a runner and leaving Labour to clear up the mess

Mmm, conveniently forgetting that the reason why the Tories are cutting is because the last Labour government left no money and a mess. But hey, we’ll gloss over that one.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Mmm, conveniently forgetting that the reason why the Tories are cutting is because the last Labour government left no money and a mess. But hey, we’ll gloss over that one.

Which part of Global Banking Crisis do you not understand ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here