Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion facebook Pride binfest

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A small screen grab of haters. Not your average North Stand punter.
5e9234850d8c624f45c239faa7bfac7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arshia42

Jul 24, 2018
Honestly, I was dreading to see Iranian names on the "angry" reaction list but thank goodness I didn't see any on first look. A lot of those names are Arab (not Iranian) such as the ones in the screenshot in this thread above (Faraz, Ahmed, Mustafa are Arab names). I can see how that's difficult to tell apart for you guys though. Did you guys have players with Arab backgrounds in the past? Anyways, sad to see such reactions regardless of where they are from- just wanted to make a note that a muslim sounding name doesn't immediately mean they are Iranian which might be the impression some of you might have had.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Does not surprise me. There seems to be a section of very intolerant Brighton "fans", probably the pro-brexit lot who got bored and felt the need to spout some offensive stuff...no doubt they will be back to claim it is not offensive and just free speech and trott out the classic "some of my best friends are gay" line.

I voted for Brexit. I am not homophobic. I am not racist. I love all European nations and thier people.

I just do not want to belong to the European union.

It is my opinion that your lack of understanding of people whose views are different from you and your desire to pigeon hole them as homophobic and racist, is one of the main reasons why people voted for Brexit and put that **** Trump in the white house.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, of course I know that. If it had been a story about a melenial and some food or somthing there would be a whole heap of people on here making the same exact offensive generlisations as I did above. So why is one ok and the other not? Is it just a clique thing? It is "cool" to abuse the younger generations and the "left".

How can you criticize offensive generlisations and then go on to make them all within the same breath?

So why is one Ok and the other not? Good question. Doesn't make any sense that does it. Which means, if you are willing to say that what you are saying is Ok (which apparently you are), then you are also saying that the other (which you supposedly detest) is Ok.

This is intellectual and moral consistency 101. If you can't resist the temptation to resort to the very thing you detest, 1) how can you expect others not to, and 2) you have the best view in the house as to what it is which makes people do it, nobody should understand it better than you.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you."
- Nietzsche

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Wonder if any of the new international fan base will be burning their replica shirts. (Genuine or otherwise) this evening

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well there are enough that do and not enough to defend us that it makes it feel that way. Highlighted by the pace at which people defend the group I mentioned.

Nobody is defending anyone. You were called out for posting complete complete and utter bollocks and trying to shoehorn your own personal prejudice into a thread where it's really not relevant.

You seem to carry a massive chip on your shoulder. Just let it go, your life will be better.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This stuff appeared there last year. Nothing new. Some folk with issues. Obviously.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So we should just not point out the double standards? Bullshit.

Anyway. The club should unfriend or unfollow or whatever it is on this particular social media all those who made the comments.

Yeah! That'll show them, yeah! :facepalm:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So what? Surely people aren't shocked that many Iranian followers aren't exactly ok with LGBT? Where have you been if genuinely are? In other news, Britain has voted to leave the EU...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I can't see any Persian names there (may have missed some)
All appears to be those in North Africa (notably Egypt), South Africa and South America and a few in Eastern Europe. Huge surprise.
Basically the places where religion is most prevalent.
Plenty of English 'dislikes' too.

I bow to your superior knowledge of ‘persian’ names.

A small screen grab of haters. Not your average North Stand punter.
5e9234850d8c624f45c239faa7bfac7a.jpg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I bow to your superior knowledge of ‘persian’ names.

Hover over the name and, invariably, it says ' Egypt', 'Jordan', 'Algeria' etc. Didn't see a single one that said Iran.
What's with the inverted commas? Or do you just view anyone in the middle east as Arabic?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I can't see any Persian names there (may have missed some)
All appears to be those in North Africa (notably Egypt), South Africa and South America and a few in Eastern Europe. Huge surprise.
Basically the places where religion is most prevalent.
Plenty of English 'dislikes' too.

Hover over the name and, invariably, it says ' Egypt', 'Jordan', 'Algeria' etc. Didn't see a single one that said Iran.
What's with the inverted commas? Or do you just view anyone in the middle east as Arabic?

As I said, I bow to your superior knowledge of ‘not seeing’ Persian names, whereas I thought that names such as Mohammed, Farez, Mustapha and Ahmed all seemed pretty much the sort of names I’d expect to find pretty much all over the Arab world. I also,didn’t have the foresight to hover over the names, sorry about that.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As I said, I bow to your superior knowledge of ‘not seeing’ Persian names, whereas I thought that names such as Mohammed, Farez, Mustapha and Ahmed all seemed pretty much the sort of names I’d expect to find pretty much all over the Arab world. I also,didn’t have the foresight to hover over the names, sorry about that.

Arab doesn't not equal Persian. As surely you know.
I see a Greek name on that list. Two Turkish names. A Polish name and a 'Bobby'. Perhaps we should be making snide remarks about those countries too on a thread welcoming our new-found fans.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Arab doesn't not equal Persian. As surely you know.
I see a Greek name on that list. Two Turkish names. A Polish name and a 'Bobby'. Perhaps we should be making snide remarks about those countries too on a thread welcoming our new-found fans.

Point me to the thread about Greek, Turkish and bobby fans and I’ll post the same.

The point it, this is a thread about Iranian fans, and I posed a question with regards to the repugnant comments made on the Albion FB Page, of which a number look to me to be of Arabic, or Persian in origin. I didn’t hover over them to see they are in fact from all sorts of countries but not Iran, and I complimented you on the fact that you were able to ‘look’ at them, and identify that they weren’t Persian. I apologise for any offence caused to our Iranian friends, and anyone else who may have been offended by what I wrote. I don’t apologise to a single one of the people who have posted the vile comments, whatever country they are from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here