Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meyer to sign for Palace

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good stepping stone for the lad. I expect his contract is geared towards an easy exit (low release fee) when a proper team comes in for him.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I loved the sky reporter last night, giggling and laughing almost at his no goals no assists last season.

Couldn't believe someone was paying the money he wanted.

I'm sure he is a decent player, although I have not seen him play.

He was touted as the next German big thing. But lost his way playing at number 10 and was in and out the side. Played as a number 6 in front of a back 3 last year. Competent on the ball and a very good range of passing. System appeared to suit him as he was often in a lot of space. He also played alongside Goretzka who is clearly a class above anyone Palace have in that position. Not sure he will get that time and space here and I think if palace play him in the same role his defensive frailties would show. I think slightly further forward in a midfield 3 would make some sense.
But £170k a week. 4 years the kid has early £36 million pounds before tax. This is a deal likely to set Palace back £50 million. He’s worth half that hence why no one other than Palace would touch this deal with a barge pole. That alongside his supposedly poor attitude which put the likes of Klopp off the deal.
Maybe a master stroke may be a car crash waiting to happen.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Last season Roy seemed to get the best out of his players, be interesting to see how he deals with this petulant player.

I have no idea what his wages are but it can't be good motivation in the dressing room with the vast differences in wages. Do they have a pay / salary cap?

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
I’ve heard lots about this kids attitude. Apparently a complete trouble maker and poison in he dressing room. The Bromley chairman told my mate this. Said he’d fit in well at the franchise as team spirit is at an all time low. Benteke gets it ripped out of him in training as his wages per goal last season were millions of £s! Apparently Cabaye ditched palace to move to a bigger club abroad because he’s never seen a dressing room like it. Throw in to this their star player is gutted they won’t let him move again, like he tried last year and it’s a pretty messy place. My mate who knows this insider said Meyer would be a disaster!

So you’ve literally said the chairman of Bromley knows the intricate details of Meyers attitude, Who plays for Schalke and a German international.. and he told your mate. Couldn’t make it up. Brilliant

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So not only does the Bromley chairman have intimate knowledge of Palace's finances. He also has knowledge of a German player, playing in Germany. He knows what happens on the training ground and everything else it would seem. I'm surprised he has time to know anything about Bromley, considering he spends his time finding out about us and telling people who then tell Sheebo :lol:

Just admit it. You read stuff and then try and pass it off as inside knowledge and if that fails you just make it up.

Still cannot get over the fact that the Bromley chairman mentioned this even before he was linked to us. Then again non league chairmen obviously are kept in the loop on players in the Bundesliga :cry:

So you’ve literally said the chairman of Bromley knows the intricate details of Meyers attitude, Who plays for Schalke and a German international.. and he told your mate. Couldn’t make it up. Brilliant

[MENTION=23111]Dougie[/MENTION] Have a word mate :ffsparr: :lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
1 His demands were too high for Schalke. Clearly thought he could get a better deal elsewhere
2 No one has offered him anything for MONTHS.
3 In all fairness to Palace, there is no way they are the standard of club he was aiming to land at

So Palace EITHER have a player who they are paying a mini fortune for or a player who has suddenly panicked that they don't have the club they thought they would and has signed to at least have something coming in.

Its not going to end well, is it.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Let's be serious it would be a great signing if they get him.

Schalke are notorious for dragging players names through the mud when their heads have been turned. Goretzka cleverly agreed a move to (the all powerful) Bayern before announcing his departure, otherwise we'd be seeing the same questions about his attitude.

What is more interesting is that the recent accounts imply that Palace's wage budget doesn't have much wiggle room. Surely this means departures of big money in-demand players... (they only have one I can think of).

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Over here there was a figure of 191000 € a week being touted... He is doubtless a good player, but with an attitude.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/-bdquo-daily-mail-ldquo-meyer-bei-palace-vertrag-unter-top-20-verdienern-in-england/view/news/315325

The Londoners are also ready to make Meyer the highest paid player of the club. Converted 191,000 euros, the midfielder will cash in the future per week. Added up, this would result in an annual salary of around 10 million euros. According to reports, Meyer's advisor Roger Wittmann had demanded 8 million euros in the previously failed negotiations with other clubs.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Will he be wearing a hoodie in his on the pitch signing picture, to connect with the ultras?

What ultras?

Screenshot from 2018-07-31 16-15-07.png

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It seems a hell of a lot of pound notes, and worth £30 million over 3 years...but I suppose as a free transfer that's not too bad, BHA just bought a player for £20 million and will pay him another 10 over 3 years in wages, win bonus etc, None of us like it but if we are to keep supporting the beautiful game we have to get used to it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Being hopeless at scouting great value unknowns, CP simply throw cash at the problem.

Meyer was allegedly on the radar of Arsenal, Liverpool and AC Milan earlier this summer, but again allegedly, even they were put off by his greedy wage demands.

Being an unattractive destination in every way, CP are having to pay certain players the wages far larger clubs pay to real stars.

Mugs.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I cant believe he is being paid 170k a week, that's just made up surely, I think 100k a week is nearer the mark, its still a staggering amount of money though.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Max Meyer had the following stats in the league last season.

Apps = 24
Goals = 0
Assists = 0

Worth every penny.

He's a defensive midfielder, mate. Goals are always a bonus but he was playing in a Pirlo-like role last season, and had some excellent performances.

I cant believe he is being paid 170k a week, that's just made up surely, I think 100k a week is nearer the mark, its still a staggering amount of money though.

Completely fictional and only the Mail :)ffsparr:) are reporting it. Everyone else is saying 80k/w.

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
An interesting move which could be brilliant. He may mature , become an indispensable layer (he has the talent) & they sell him for a fortune after 2 years.
However it could be the opposite. He maintains his terrible attitude. He has numerous injuries, their is no hunger & Palace struggle. They need to sell players to trim their wage bill, no one will take him, he won’t go, others have to be sold.

Bit of a gamble which I’m delighted they have taken....

Beware tradespeople of Croydon. I can fee a 3rd administration coming on .... yet again you won’t be paid

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here