Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] In A Bit Of A Quandary - Advice Please

el punal

Last year, sadly, my brother in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer and after a bravely fought few months died at home. In his final stages he was cared for by nurses from the Rowans Hospice based in the Portsmouth area. Recently, his wife, for whatever reason, has given me his collection of Private Eye mags - in sequential order from 2006 to 2010. To be honest I don’t really want them and decided rather than sell them on, which would have seemed rather selfish and uncaring, I took them to one of the Rowans’ charity shops for them to benefit from the sale.
Unfortunately, they do not take in magazines or papers.

So, what to do now? Does anyone know of any collectors or establishments that would be interested in this collection? Needless to say any money gained from the sale would be forwarded to the Rowans charity.

Look forward to your replies and advice. Thanks.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Last year, sadly, my brother in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer and after a bravely fought few months died at home. In his final stages he was cared for by nurses from the Rowans Hospice based in the Portsmouth area. Recently, his wife, for whatever reason, has given me his collection of Private Eye mags - in sequential order from 2006 to 2010. To be honest I don’t really want them and decided rather than sell them on, which would have seemed rather selfish and uncaring, I took them to one of the Rowans’ charity shops for them to benefit from the sale.

So, what to do now? Does anyone know of any collectors or establishments that would be interested in this collection? Needless to say any money gained from the sale would be forwarded to the Rowans charity.

Sorry for your loss, ebay

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looking on Ebay they don't appear to be worth much I'm afraid

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had the entire run of When Saturday comes, for about 15 years, 3 large bin bags full.
I decided to get rid of them, they didn’t sell at all on EBay, either singularly, in lots or in the entirety. I tried a magazine dealer type thing ,no joyThey ended up being recycled.

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Sorry for the loss. Would maybe contact the family and see if anyone else in the family would benefit?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Unfortunately, for a magazine that is largely topical, back issues have very little value except to a collector... who by definition have "collected" already.

"Free to a good home" might be the best option and the reward is knowing your brother-in-law made someone else happy rather the charity receiving cash.

el punal

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. It looks like I’ll try and find an Eye aficionado to take them off me, at least I know they’ll go to a good home. Michael, my brother in law, would be happy with that and would no doubt join in with a laugh at the anarchic humour that is Private Eye. :bowdown:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Unfortunately, for a magazine that is largely topical, back issues have very little value except to a collector... who by definition have "collected" already.

"Free to a good home" might be the best option and the reward is knowing your brother-in-law made someone else happy rather the charity receiving cash.

Or a small donation to the charity? reliant on goodwill of course but you'd be a fairly hard hearted git not to chuck a couple of quid their way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here