Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Excel date query

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think I may be being really dim on this one as ostensibly it should be easy.

I have a date field in A1 that is formatted in dd/mm/ yyyy i. e. It shows 31/07/2018 and this represents a date of birth. The first part is easy since I just needed to filter by all the birthdays in the month of July which I achieved by Filter by ' All Dates in a Period' equal to July. That worked fine but then I realised that the resulting data needed to be sorted by the actual day of the month. By that I don't mean Monday etc but in my example the birthdays needs to run from 1 July through to 31 July. When I try to do a further sort of the DOB field it has no effect and the July dates are not in chronological order.

Any ideas as convinced I must be missing something obvious. If possible any solution should try and avoid creating another column. The DOB has been checked and its definitely not a text string.

Any before you ask I did try turning it on and off again! :)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think I may be being really dim on this one as ostensibly it should be easy.

I have a date field in A1 that is formatted in dd/mm/ yyyy i. e. It shows 31/07/2018 and this represents a date of birth. The first part is easy since I just needed to filter by all the birthdays in the month of July which I achieved by Filter by ' All Dates in a Period' equal to July. That worked fine but then I realised that the resulting data needed to be sorted by the actual day of the month. By that I don't mean Monday etc but in my example the birthdays needs to run from 1 July through to 31 July. When I try to do a further sort of the DOB field it has no effect and the July dates are not in chronological order.

Any ideas as convinced I must be missing something obvious. If possible any solution should try and avoid creating another column. The DOB has been checked and its definitely not a text string.

Any before you ask I did try turning it on and off again! :)

I tried a mini version of what you have and the filtered dates would sort after filtering - i.e filter all July dates and then highlight the resultant table to sort; but it is not 'permanent' ie. remove filter and it then reverts to unsorted. Guess the best answer is to sort first. That works

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here