Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nice v Brighton & Hove Albion (Tues 31 July KO 4pm)

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Is it me not paying attention, or have there been more behind closed doors matches this pre-season? If so, any idea for the reason? I can think of two: 1) showcase for players we want to send on loan or sell and 2) Chris is trying new tactical approaches that he doesn't want to unveil until he's happy they'll work.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Is it me not paying attention, or have there been more behind closed doors matches this pre-season? If so, any idea for the reason? I can think of two: 1) showcase for players we want to send on loan or sell and 2) Chris is trying new tactical approaches that he doesn't want to unveil until he's happy they'll work.

You'd think wouldn't you?
So in the case it's gotta be the latter? Unless scouts from European clubs are coming to see the likes of Suttner and Hemed- seems like quite big lengths to go to to get rid of players!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
If it was a friendly with a crowd and scouts were there, would we even know? why do they need to be closed doors to have scouts watching?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

It's a few factors. 1 we have plenty of players who didn't return at the start of pre-season due to playing at the World Cup so more games have been arranged to accomodate individuals in their preparations for the start of the season. 2 we have had plenty of fixtures as the normal arrangements to a pre-season where fans get to see plus additional ones often on the same day to increase everyone's fitness levels. 3 hosting a pre-season friendly is a costly thing for the club as fans need facilities and stewarding so having 500 turn up to watch us play Portsmouth isn't worth the event unless they can accomodate hundreds of spectators at the training ground

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is it me not paying attention, or have there been more behind closed doors matches this pre-season?.
I think previous season's closed doors friendlies weren't really publicised in the same way these recent ones have. Definitely know there were a couple last summer that weren't remarked on by the social media team. My assumption is now we're premier league and have all the record-breaking recent transfers there is more interest so more reporting of it.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

It's probably to stop all the hysterical whinging snowflakes on internet forums, complaining that 'our pre-season is shit' or 'we should be beating these teams', when the whole point of pre-season is to build fitness ready for the real business on 11th August

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is that 4pm kick off BST or the time in Nice, in which case it will be 3pm BST.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 12.12.23.png

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The single and only thing I am desperate to see from this game is that And one gets decent game time and ideally looks the business.

He's playing catch up and we need him to be as good as we hope.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was curious to note the team flew out from Biggin Hill* (which is where Alireza flew into) rather than Shoreham Airport. You think that given you can see Shoreham airport from the training ground they'd use it.

* A lot of the players posted on Instagram while waiting for take-off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here