Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Changing mobile phone and network

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I need to get a new phone (currently still using an ancient Nokia 300) and move my mobile provider as my free talktalk sim deal is about to expire.

I'm considering a deal via Carphone Warehouse for a Samsung J3 and the IG network monthly contract - maybe up to 4Gb (you can tell I'm a cheapskate). I don't want to pay for an iphone or anything too top of the range as I don't need all the bells and whistles, and don't want to pay more than I have to for something I may or may not use a lot (I have no idea what my usage might be as I currently use home wireless or access at work for all my internet and rarely use the phone or text - that might change if I have the technology).

Alternatively buy a new or second hand J3 and go with giffgaff? Or get a different (cheapish) phone?

Choices, choices :mad:

Does anyone have experience of these sort of deals, is there better out there, and am I ripping myself off somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Confused cat of cheshire

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I need to get a new phone (currently still using an ancient Nokia 300) and move my mobile provider as my free talktalk sim deal is about to expire.

I'm considering a deal via Carphone Warehouse for a Samsung J3 and the IG network monthly contract - maybe up to 4Gb (you can tell I'm a cheapskate). I don't want to pay for an iphone or anything too top of the range as I don't need all the bells and whistles, and don't want to pay more than I have to for something I may or may not use a lot (I have no idea what my usage might be as I currently use home wireless or access at work for all my internet and rarely use the phone or text - that might change if I have the technology).

Alternatively buy a new or second hand J3 and go with giffgaff? Or get a different (cheapish) phone?

Choices, choices :mad:

Does anyone have experience of these sort of deals, is there better out there, and am I ripping myself off somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Confused cat of cheshire

I have a Samsung J3, with BT mobile on a SIM only deal, paying £8 p/m, where I get 4gb of data, free talk time and texts. :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What are they charging you for that

£119.99 up front (effectively for the phone) plus £8 month for 4Gb (4G), 500 minutes and unlimited texts - unless they have changed the prices since Wednesday). I'm told you can buy second hand phines cheaper (CEX shops?) but I'm not sure I would trust second hand.

Seems like the more you pay up front the cheaper the monthly payment and vice versa.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have a Samsung J3, with BT mobile on a SIM only deal, paying £8 p/m, where I get 4gb of data, free talk time and texts. :)

Are you a BT customer for anything else?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Just moved to ID mobile as my contract was up with 02

I now get 6GB of data (more than enough), unlimited calls + texts & capping / data rollover for £12.50 a month (1 month rolling deal)

I believe they do 3GB for £8 a month & 5GB for £10

Maybe buy an unlocked 2nd hand phone, get your PAC code and do that?

I purchased a 2nd hand iphone 5 from CEX and it worked perfectly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tesco mobile are good and cater for any budget/tech requirement. And they are mega helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here