Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LOANS in?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Suggestion from somebody on another thread that we could go back for Joe Gomez as the missing 'fourth CB'. Not out of the question. Were we to play the first half of the season WITHOUT a 'first team' loanee, it would be without recent precedent:

13/14: Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward on season long loans, plus Craig Conway and Leroy Lita before the end of the pre-Christmas loan window.

14/15: Joao Texiera, Gary Gardner and Joe Bennett on SLLs, plus Ali Al Habsi, Elliott Bennett, Greg Halford and Darren Bent!

15/16: Rajiv van la Parra, and James Wilson (on a 'youth loan' permissible outside of the normal window)

16/17: Glenn Murray, Sam Adekugbe and Sebastien Pocognoli on SSLs

17/18: Izzy Brown and Tim Krul on SSLs

18/19: ???

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Would love Gomez on loan but my Liverpool-supporting brother-in-law reckons the talk locally(i.e. in Liverpool) is that Gomez is still wanted as a squad player BUT if he WERE to be loaned out, a club like ours (not a direct threat to their title/Champs League ambitions) would be ideal. Must admit I was disappointed not to get him last season - even Redmen TV fans' channel was convinced he was Brighton-bound.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm also surprised that there's not even been any paper talk about us loaning someone in.
Cheap way to fill a squad place. I suppose the improvement in squad depth may mean we can't guarantee the games that the loan club may want?

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
As long as we don't get another Akpom that we seemed to have to play at least part of every game. He was a waster

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suggestion from somebody on another thread that we could go back for Joe Gomez as the missing 'fourth CB'. Not out of the question. Were we to play the first half of the season WITHOUT a 'first team' loanee, it would be without recent precedent:

13/14: Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward on season long loans, plus Craig Conway and Leroy Lita before the end of the pre-Christmas loan window.

14/15: Joao Texiera, Gary Gardner and Joe Bennett on SLLs, plus Ali Al Habsi, Elliott Bennett, Greg Halford and Darren Bent!

15/16: Rajiv van la Parra, and James Wilson (on a 'youth loan' permissible outside of the normal window)

Jan 18 - Chuba Akpom :tosser::tosser::tosser:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Ulloa?

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
If a good player becomes available near the end of the window, we're in a great position to move quickly and get them due to our early work. Possible positions are obviously cb but direct competition for gross a possibility along with right back? Given how much we've spent already we could see a loan. Still hoping the 4th cb will be permanent though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the number of loans in will be minimal if any as we are well covered in every position and better younger players will only come to get game time which we cannot guarantee at the moment.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Gomez needs to be playing, not sure he would get much game time with us.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Gomez needs to be playing, not sure he would get much game time with us.

I think he would be our first choice right back, but Liverpool would probably want him playing CB which I agree would be hard to guarantee game time. I doubt he'll be available anyway tbh but would be more than happy to get him for a year.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Tomori was excellent and has the versatility we need. If he is young enough to not need a squad place then I'd be after him

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As long as we don't get another Akpom that we seemed to have to play at least part of every game. He was a waster

This, for me, is the possible problem with any potential loanee, one of commitment, if the going got tough would he go into that crunching tackle? or would he pull out risking injury? I don't believe you can ever be quite sure. After all, Brighton aren't his club, he is contracted to someone else.

There has been the odd success, Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge, Stephern Ward, in recent years for instance, but innumerable failures, including the one named above, too. I say if we can avoid it then we should do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tomori was excellent and has the versatility we need. If he is young enough to not need a squad place then I'd be after him

You say Tomori was 'excellent', but how many games did he play for us exactly?. very few. A better player now presumably than when he performed for us in the Championship, but still without Premier League experience really.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You say Tomori was 'excellent', but how many games did he play for us exactly?. very few. A better player now presumably than when he performed for us in the Championship, but still without Premier League experience really.

He had a few very good games and the ability to cover the fullback positions, he is also under 21. That would make him a very useful signing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here