Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Praise indeed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"So shrewd have Brighton been in the transfer market this summer that they might just have taken on Southampton’s mantle as the Premier League’s most effective transfer market operators.

The Saints have taken their eye off the ball in recent times, resulting in them coming close to relegation last season, but it would seem that their south coast rivals Brighton have learned a thing or two from the model and approach implemented at the St Mary’s Stadium.

Of course, it can be difficult to truly predict the success or failure of a team in the Premier League – particularly one outside the top six or seven clubs, such is the competitiveness and natural mobility of the division – but Brighton have plenty to be positive about ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

They mustn’t be complacent in their facing up to second season syndrome, but they are about as well-equipped as they could be to see it off."

4 reasons why Brighton will avoid second season syndrome >>> https://whisp.rs/2LM4uXF

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the time of writing, Brighton have signed more players (eight) than any other club in the Premier League this transfer window.

This sentence got me - despite this, we've had barely a mention in the media about our business relative to other clubs. I suspect once the 'end of window' round-up articles start to appear there might be more articles like this.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At the time of writing, Brighton have signed more players (eight) than any other club in the Premier League this transfer window.

This sentence got me - despite this, we've had barely a mention in the media about our business relative to other clubs. I suspect once the 'end of window' round-up articles start to appear there might be more articles like this.

Still

Under

The

Radar

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The vision that Tony Bloom has for our club goes beyond the fans expectations and every minute detail of the DNA of this club is geared towards progression. As said in the article there are never guarantees in the toughest league in the world but the club is giving itself every chance of success and progression.

Great article and the next step will be bringing players through the ranks to match Southampton’s previous success.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I prefer being under the radar. The media can build you up, but they can also tear you down.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Andone in particular is an interesting acquisition given that Brighton need more firepower up-top.

If we needed more firepower up front and then signed a striker to provide it I'd say it's expected rather than 'interesting'.

Not sure what it is with that site but the writing annoys me.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Hmmm. Lets get to 40 points before we start getting too smug about our transfer activity. Lest we forget everyone saying how well Everton recruited last summer...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hmmm. Lets get to 40 points before we start getting too smug about our transfer activity. Lest we forget everyone saying how well Everton recruited last summer...

Did anyone say that? I thought the common consensus was that they had overpaid for Sigurdsson and had bought too many number 10s without adequately replacing Lukaku.

Agreed on the first part of your post though, let's see how these signings do before hailing the remarkable job our recruitment team has done.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This is a good article, but I hope we don't get second season syndrome as fans. We should go in to this season the same attitude as the last as it is going to be just as hard. We need to get behind the players even more when things are not going well. I believe the fans attitude can have a big impact on how a team performs and really could make a difference between survival and relegation. As we saw last season it takes a bit of time for new players to get up to speed.

So bloody excited for the season to start. :rave:

Up the Albion :albion2:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Ultimately, they finished in the top 10.

Did anyone say that? I thought the common consensus was that they had overpaid for Sigurdsson and had bought too many number 10s without adequately replacing Lukaku.

Agreed on the first part of your post though, let's see how these signings do before hailing the remarkable job our recruitment team has done.

Absolutely - at this stage last season, everyone felt they had purchased very well and had depth in the squad. People generally felt they would have a good season and I include myself in that to be honest, I felt they would be able to challenge Arsenal for 6th. They didn't - and their squad was a pudding of number 10s, as you mentioned, but I hadn't forseen that happening. I'm not saying you didn't, but I certainly didn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"So shrewd have Brighton been in the transfer market this summer that they might just have taken on Southampton’s mantle as the Premier League’s most effective transfer market operators.

The Saints have taken their eye off the ball in recent times, resulting in them coming close to relegation last season, but it would seem that their south coast rivals Brighton have learned a thing or two from the model and approach implemented at the St Mary’s Stadium.

Of course, it can be difficult to truly predict the success or failure of a team in the Premier League – particularly one outside the top six or seven clubs, such is the competitiveness and natural mobility of the division – but Brighton have plenty to be positive about ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

They mustn’t be complacent in their facing up to second season syndrome, but they are about as well-equipped as they could be to see it off."

4 reasons why Brighton will avoid second season syndrome >>> https://whisp.rs/2LM4uXF

Nice to have kind words written, but two points:

1. We have achieved nothing yet. We don't know how any of the new players will get on. Confident they'll prove good business, but the proof can only be in the pudding.

2. There is no comparison between our transfer business and Southampton's of the last decade. Surely if they deserved the title of 'most successful' it was down to consistently consolidating their squad whilst simultaneously selling high, and turning a large profit on player trading. We have only sold one player for a significant profit (Leo Ulloa) in the last decade - and missed him badly when he left.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. I would say that currently I'm 'quietly confident' that we'll be ok this season. I'm basing that optimism on the fact that the recruitment team did a fantastic job last pre-season (Ryam, Propper, Gross etc) and I'm trusting that they've worked their magic again with the new batch. Yes there is bound to be a dud, or maybe two, but if the majority improve us then we'll be ok.

However ... it could of course all go horribly wrong. The signings may not gel, there might be new internal frictions spoiling the amazing harmony the squad has always seemed to have under CH, and we could end up like QPR under Redknapp.

I should add, before someone accuses me of 'being negative' that that is the worst case scenario and I really don't think it will happen, but, y'know, counting chickens and all that.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Not properly replacing Lukaku was definitely mentioned, but I remember Talksport pundits fawning over the signings of Rooney on the cheap, Klaassen, Keane, Ramirez and Pickford (which to be fair was justified in retrospect).

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Struggle to think of a more under the radar team when it comes to transfers and 'expert' discussions regarding the strength of the Premier league and the finishing outside the top 6 and bottom 3 narrative. To date we haven't been mentioned much in the relegation discussions and are never mentioned in the top half discussions.Wolves and Fulham are the new dark-horses, Cardiff the whipping boys and Wagner continues to be the new hot Gengenpressing manager. Frankly, LOVE it this way.

el punal

I don’t think anyone is getting smug. Excited, yes, feeling positive, yes, but I don’t think anyone’s entered the arrogance race yet.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I think this season will be the one that I finally realise we are an actual Premier League side as last year was all my dreams come true in football
And after reading that article it made me realise that we aren't in this league just to make the numbers up now as we have serious ambitions to push on to the top ten and achieve things beyond our dreams

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The team we have is certainly capable of improving on last seasons finishing position, but there is always that element of fortune. My reckoning is that we got a little less than our fair share of luck with results last season, so this season owes us a little more good fortune.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Richard Keys tweeted that they had done excellent business and backed them to finish above their city rivals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here