Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Donald Trump's withdrawal from the nuclear agreement affect Alireza shirt sales?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Who would have thought that Trump's withdrawal from the nuclear agreement could potentially affect the club's revenue in shirt sales? There's a lot of bad feeling in Iran towards Nike at the moment (see link). Just been on the Persian football forum and a few on there share that bad feeling towards Nike and as a result wont be buying the official club shirt but a fake one which will obviously cost us a lot in lost revenue. Trump has a lot to answer for it ssems. Is this what's known as the "butterfly effect"?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....y-donald-trump-us-sanctions-a8396921.html?amp

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Who would have thought that Trump's withdrawal from the nuclear agreement could potentially affect the club's revenue in shirt sales? There's a lot of bad feeling in Iran towards Nike at the moment (see link). Just been on the Persian football forum and a few on there share that bad feeling towards Nike and as a result wont be buying the official club shirt but a fake one which will obviously cost us a lot in lost revenue. Trump has a lot to answer for it ssems. Is this what's known as the "butterfly effect"?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....y-donald-trump-us-sanctions-a8396921.html?amp

"Life is strange"

I doubt many will get that

Parandeh_Daryayi

Jul 24, 2018
Silicon Valley
Just to point out Iran already has its back against the wall trying to get any dam resources for the national team. The people felt it was a slap in the face as politics and sports shouldn't mix. But silly us for actually believing in that, if it was any other country be sure it wouldn't happen.

Any way as you mentioned....... kits. People in Iran wouldn't even be able to afford it, what does it cost on average? $100 for a authentic replica kit? With the currency tanking they have bigger things to worry about. Your question is really aimed at the diaspora living abroad. Will they buy kits?

In the short sight probably not. But its not just nike, same thing applies to addias. Our national team had to purchase their own kits and put our own patches on.

Ill stop ranting, you have my 2 cents.....

Cheers.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just to point out Iran already has its back against the wall trying to get any dam resources for the national team. The people felt it was a slap in the face as politics and sports shouldn't mix. But silly us for actually believing in that, if it was any other country be sure it wouldn't happen.

Any way as you mentioned....... kits. People in Iran wouldn't even be able to afford it, what does it cost on average? $100 for a authentic replica kit? With the currency tanking they have bigger things to worry about. Your question is really aimed at the diaspora living abroad. Will they buy kits?

In the short sight probably not. But its not just nike, same thing applies to addias. Our national team had to purchase their own kits and put our own patches on.

Ill stop ranting, you have my 2 cents.....

Cheers.

It's not exactly high on my list of priorities either which is why I haven't got one. It just got me thinking after reading the Persian football forum I was quite surprised at the level of excitement this transfer has stoked up with Iranians. I also didn't know about how the embargo had affected the national football team. So in the wake of the $60million in shirt sales within 24 hours of Ronaldo's transfer to Juventus I wondered if Alireza could do a bit of a Ronaldo for us and whether that potential had been scuppered by Trump. From your answer, I gather not.
You may have learnt by now that the Brighton team were quite strapped for cash themselves a number of years ago and almost went bust. Their shirt sponser at the time was Fatboy Slim's record label (he lives in Hove). So the word written across the players' chests at the time was "Skint" which was a nice little irony. I'm not sure whether the players had to sew the sponsor's label on themselves though. I don't think things got that bad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If the shirt deal works as I believe it to, then selling 10 million extra shirts, all with Alireza on the back, wouldn't actually net the club any additional money at all, as it involves Nike paying a set fee for the right to produce them, then they make the money from the sales.

Though when it comes to re-negotiating the cost Nike (or a competitor) pay for the NEXT deal, then we'd benefit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If the shirt deal works as I believe it to, then selling 10 million extra shirts, all with Alireza on the back, wouldn't actually net the club any additional money at all, as it involves Nike paying a set fee for the right to produce them, then they make the money from the sales.

Though when it comes to re-negotiating the cost Nike (or a competitor) pay for the NEXT deal, then we'd benefit.

Not doubting you if you know that to be true but if that’s the case that’s very surprising. Also, if that’s the case we must make money from the expensive shirt printing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here