Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thierry Henry to Villa? Rumour

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On BBC Sport now that he has verbally agreed to join them as manager.

If it comes off will it be a Car Crash or great move by Villa??

I'm going for Car Crash, much too much pressure for a first management job imo.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bruce did an excellent job last season. Another stupid club dazzled by a former star player, getting the wrong manager. See Birmingham with Zola.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Bruce did an excellent job last season. Another stupid club dazzled by a former star player, getting the wrong manager. See Birmingham with Zola.

Seems well respected in the Belgian set up. Why jump to such conclusion ?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
giphy.gif

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
At a guess I would say he would do the same as Lampard at Derby.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a tough gig, Aston Villa are a giant of a club and their fans will be desperate to see them competing back at the very upper echelons of English and European football before too long but they need to comply with FFP regulations having gambled last season and not getting up. It may be that Bruce would have been a safe pair of hands to guide them through the next season and perhaps someone like Henry come in next year after they've readjusted to FFP and perhaps there is some money for them to spend on having another go at getting up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At a guess I would say he would do the same as Lampard at Derby.

Must say I am really interested to see how he does, Derby need to get promoted but are more used to disappointment on that front than the entitled twats of Villa, so much less pressure imo.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The last few managers Villa have had have caused me to believe that they would change their fortunes and gain them promotion. None of them have which suggests that something else is rotten within the club and despite a decent manager and a great squad of players they missed out.

I think even Henry will struggle to get them promoted which is what they will want from him.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must say I am really interested to see how he does, Derby need to get promoted but are more used to disappointment on that front than the entitled twats of Villa, so much less pressure imo.

I think that Derby and Villa will find it difficult as I personally think that Stoke and WBA will bounce back up again. Take into account Boro and the surprise team (there is always a surprise team) it should prove another interesting season in the Championship.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Exactly what l was about to say. I've always liked him as a player, he seems to talk a lot of sense, has his coaching badges, and deserves his chance l think. Better qualified than Frank Lampard in fact, and no one seems to be deriding him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's a tough gig, Aston Villa are a giant of a club and their fans will be desperate to see them competing back at the very upper echelons of English and European football before too long but they need to comply with FFP regulations having gambled last season and not getting up. It may be that Bruce would have been a safe pair of hands to guide them through the next season and perhaps someone like Henry come in next year after they've readjusted to FFP and perhaps there is some money for them to spend on having another go at getting up.

:needpics:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A car crash of a season for Villa is always welcome.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

He has not really served any sort of apprenticeship in club management. He has been second assistant for Belgium for less than two years, but as it is international management that is only 27 matches. He could turn out to be brilliant, but personally if I was to trust the running of my football team, and a budget of tens of millions pounds to someone, I would want someone who had actually done it at some sort of level before.

Same goes for Gerrard and Lampard.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Bizarre decision by Villa - who would you trust more to get you out of the championship, a man that has been there and done it or someone who has never played in the division and whose only managerial experience is sort of helping out a bit with the Belgium national team. Ridiculous.

Bizarre decision by Henry - a club where the expectation by the fans is that they should not only be promoted this season but also then be qualifying for Europe in the seasons that follow, and yet have financial problems that mean that none of this is realistically possible. No chance of him exceeding expectations, very small chance of meeting expectations.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Exactly what l was about to say. I've always liked him as a player, he seems to talk a lot of sense, has his coaching badges, and deserves his chance l think. Better qualified than Frank Lampard in fact, and no one seems to be deriding him.

I am, same for Gerrard too. At least Gerrard worked as a coach at a football club first, though of course there is a world of difference between coaching a youth team and managing a big club. I fully expect Rangers, Derby and Villa to do worse than expected* under their inexperienced managers, it is not certain of course but none of these three have spent long enough learning their craft, imo.

*Expected by their owners, not rational folk like we have on NSC :lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hope he does a better job than Garde or Houllier,or he might be back doing tv commentary pdq.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here