Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Tourist tax

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Is there any good reason that we can’t have a tourist tax on accommodation in Brighton & Hove? A couple of quid a night, ring-fenced for street cleaning, (shit) graffiti removal, litter collection and education. The only obvious objection that strikes me is that it makes or hotels less competitively priced but we’re talking less than the cost of a cup of coffee per room per day. The less obvious I suppose is that it’s pointless if collecting the tax costs almost as much as it raises, but the idea seems to work well in many other places around the world.

Having just spent 6 weeks in Moscow where I genuinely saw one piece of litter in the entire time (a crisp packet on a bridge - so rare it was really that memorable), it’s hard to readjust to the dire state of the UK.

At the moment, it feels like a vicious circle. Dirty streets = less shame in making them dirtier. We’ll have to work on a way of taxing the seagulls for the mess they make at a later date....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well you could if you want, but as Brighton is one of the more expensive destinations in the UK already, it may prove to be a double edged sword.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think the trouble is trusting the council and whichever crap contractors they are using to actually use the money to provide the services wanted. This applies to whichever political party is running the council at any time!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tourist tax is a con. Council pay for cleaning streets etc and charge residents and businesses the appropriate council tax/business rates.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tourist tax is a con. Council pay for cleaning streets etc and charge residents and businesses the appropriate council tax/business rates.

Councils see bugger all of the busines rates. Until 2013, all business rates went to the Exchequer. Since then, there has been a gradual reduction in the amount the government collects in favour of the local authority. It's supposed to be half, but the reality is it's nothing like that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
More tax just what we need.

How about charging a tourist tax for those arriving by train, just add to their ticket price regardless of where your journey starts

Borders at the boundary of Brighton, so those arriving on foot, cycling or driving all get taxed to enter Brighton

Brighton the tax centre of England, something to celebrate, theme song Ghost Town

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely residents are as much to blame for litter (all over the UK not just Brighton) - tougher littering penalties instead

Probably partly true and totally agree with the idea of tough littering penalties. But there’s a lot more rubbish left behind on busy days, when the population of the town is hugely increased by tourists. Plus there’s the argument that those who live here have a vested interest in keeping the place smart and tidy. Fundamentally, the whole city is in dire need of a deep clean - and then a really strong emphasis on keeping it that way through a combination of education and fines.

I know it’s another tax but a few quid on top of accommodation costs is barely noticeable. Makes sod all difference to me when I choose where to go abroad.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tourist tax is a con.

Well on one level it is. But recently back from a Greek island where the levy for a 3 star hotel was 1.5 euros per night per room. Fair play, Greece got absolutely battered financially by the EMF. It was a horrible time for the people. Still is. Can't really blame them for adding a small tax on visitors who jet in and jet out each summer and put a horrible strain on cash-strapped local services. Absolutely no reason it couldn't/shouldn't happen here.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Here is a thought: don't throw litter about.

Indeed. But it’s probably easier to get people to follow that fairly simple philosophy if the streets aren’t already a shit-pit surrounded by overflowing bins. Some seem to take that as a green light.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having just spent 6 weeks in Moscow where I genuinely saw one piece of litter in the entire time (a crisp packet on a bridge - so rare it was really that memorable), it’s hard to readjust to the dire state of the UK.

Moscow will have had a right proper spruce-up for the World Cup though, I'm not convinced its always as spic and span as when you happened to be there. You'll have seen it at its very best, putting on its glad-rags for the world.

That said, parts of our lovely city are a depressing mess. I truly wish West Street could have a deep clean. In fact, I'd love to see the whole of Queens Road and West Street LEVELLED so we could start again. That could be an absolutely amazing boulevard all the way from the station down to the seafront.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Councils see bugger all of the busines rates. Until 2013, all business rates went to the Exchequer. Since then, there has been a gradual reduction in the amount the government collects in favour of the local authority. It's supposed to be half, but the reality is it's nothing like that.
In that case they may as well drop the business rates to rock bottom and entice many more businesses in the city :)

All business rate taxes should stay within its town or city !

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
If shopkeepers and business owners did what they used to do and clean the fronts of their own shop as well as the pavement frontage then there wouldn’t be such disgusting pavements and premises throughout the town.

Still I suppose it’s easier to just moan how bad the place is and just wait for someone else to clean it for you.

I can never fathom how a shop owner can let the window to their business get covered in grot and grime and expect people to come inside and spend money.

Brighton -, the home of Pride but actually has very little in itself.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Surely residents are as much to blame for litter (all over the UK not just Brighton) - tougher littering penalties instead

Pretty much this,it is a problem almost solely of our own making,people would think twice about dropping their crap if an on the spot fine of £500 was handed to them ,failing to pay it increases £100 daily until it gets to £1000 and then a ****ing good hiding is administered.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Moscow will have had a right proper spruce-up for the World Cup though, I'm not convinced its always as spic and span as when you happened to be there. You'll have seen it at its very best, putting on its glad-rags for the world.

/QUOTE]

I’ve got a mate who recently lived there for 6 years who confirmed that, apart from the unusually relaxed nature of the policing, it was pretty much the same as ever. Litter is not in their nature. Street cleaning very much is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here