Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Don't Forget Your Ears and Eyelids!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When you slap your sun screen on, pay particular attention to your ears and eyelids, little parts of your face most people tend to miss. I'm speaking from personal experience.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'd also like to add feet.

I went on a hot holiday for the first time last year, and after getting very very sunburnt when I was around 15, and swearing to never get sunburnt ever again, I'm always very generous with the sun cream.

So I slathered it all on, but forgot to go past my ankles. First day in Cyprus, all day in 30+, my feet were red raw and I had trouble walking in my slides for the next few days. Lesson learnt!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Skin cancer is most commonly found behind the ears for this very reason

Very true. My father had a small cut on his ear in October 2016 that didn't heal and he died September 2017 after having the top of his ear cut off and a neck dissection in the following months.
No warning signs prior to that

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Also remember to apply sun screen to the soles of your feet, or keep flip flops on. A girl in our office had a melanoma on her sole. Thankfully it was cut out and that was the end of it. Her oncologist told her how common it was for skin cancer in this area, due to sunbathing whilst lying on the stomach.

Always, always apply sunscreen - or don't go out in it. My wife had skin cancer on her nose - a basal cell carcinoma, which doesn't spread, but leads to a nasty scar. Her father died of skin cancer and a good friend of mine also died in his 30's from it.

I'd also like to add feet.

I went on a hot holiday for the first time last year, and after getting very very sunburnt when I was around 15, and swearing to never get sunburnt ever again, I'm always very generous with the sun cream.

So I slathered it all on, but forgot to go past my ankles. First day in Cyprus, all day in 30+, my feet were red raw and I had trouble walking in my slides for the next few days. Lesson learnt!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nice, wide brimmed sun hat. So much better than slapping chemicals all over your face. Especially near the eyes. Get the brim wide enough to throw shade on ears, neck and face.

I'm one for a loose trouser and linen shirt in this weather. Nice wide brim to top it off. So much cooler than vest and shorts, no sunburn and so much more stylish than a quick dash to Sports Direct. Plus you don't have to walk around all day smelling of coconut and melted plastic, re-applying every 20 mins.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
There are "Sport & Face" sun blocks that don't sting your eyes when you sweat. Most of us don't take sun protection seriously enough until we have to have growths caused by sun exposure, removed. Hats help, but don't completely protect from U.V. rays.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm one for a loose trouser and linen shirt in this weather. Nice wide brim to top it off..

beware_of_the_bogus_man_from_del_montedocx.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A couple of older relatives of mine, had chunks of their outer ears surgically removed, due to Malignant Melamomas. One, who's since passed away, remembers getting burnt on a golf course in travelling round Australia about 15 years ago.

Acts as a reminder to us protect ears too when slapping on SPF30.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There are "Sport & Face" sun blocks that don't sting your eyes when you sweat. Most of us don't take sun protection seriously enough until we have to have growths caused by sun exposure, removed. Hats help, but don't completely protect from U.V. rays.

Some friends were saying Avon (yep!) do a very good sunblock cream, so good the British Armed Forces use it

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don't forget your hands.

Screenshot from 2018-07-25 17-26-06.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here