Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. A legend.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Great player so he was. Quiet man of that Leeds team.

RIP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brilliant player.

Like so many of Revie’s Leeds players, a gifted and accomplished footballer.

RIP.

... and. unlike so many, was not a clogger.

I like the story of him turning up for contract talks with a signed sheet of paper asking the club to fill in the details. If that's true, it's so far removed from current negotiations that it's like a different sport

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
... and. unlike so many, was not a clogger.

I like the story of him turning up for contract talks with a signed sheet of paper asking the club to fill in the details. If that's true, it's so far removed from current negotiations that it's like a different sport

Especially as he was Leeds-born (Beeston) and played for one club.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
another big name from my childhood that has passed away

I most remember him playing full back,with Reaney on the other flank

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rip Paul member of greattea.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The word legend is used loosely these days but this guy is a proper legend. He played every outfield position for Leeds and wore every shirt from 2-11, he was - arguably - the best utility player England has ever produced.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Especially as he was Leeds-born (Beeston) and played for one club.

As my ex was a Leeds fan, I saw him play quite a few times. He also had his own DIY stores in Leeds.
73 is comparatively young nowadays.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
another big name from my childhood that has passed away

I most remember him playing full back,with Reaney on the other flank

He played everywhere till Terry Cooper got injured and mobed on. I think that Cherry then came in and PM went back to playing everywhere to cover for whoever was injured.

Hunter, Giles and Bremner were the brutes of the team, yet Giles was also a gifted ball player. Most of the rest (Lorrimer, Grey, Clarke, Jones and later Jordan) were all gifted. Yorath, Madely and Bates were largely 'reserves' yet the first two are legends. Greenhoff went to Man U, and later on Ellam and Cherry came in from Huddersfield, and McQueen from scotishland. The saddest of the all was Albert Johannsen, who hit the sauce after retirement in the late 60s and didn't respond much to help offered by former team mates. Reanney and Charlton, plus the two keepers, Sprake and Harvey, and that's pretty much the lot : extraordinary side with no more than about 15 players being the regulars over a 10 year period. That's from memory so apols for the typos and any omissions. RIP Mr Madeley.

nb Leeds were dirty but never cloggers. Controlled possession football on the floor - 20 years ahead of their time for an English club side.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He played everywhere till Terry Cooper got injured and mobed on. I think that Cherry then came in and PM went back to playing everywhere to cover for whoever was injured.

Hunter, Giles and Bremner were the brutes of the team, yet Giles was also a gifted ball player. Most of the rest (Lorrimer, Grey, Clarke, Jones and later Jordan) were all gifted. Yorath, Madely and Bates were largely 'reserves' yet the first two are legends. Greenhoff went to Man U, and later on Ellam and Cherry came in from Huddersfield, and McQueen from scotishland. The saddest of the all was Albert Johannsen, who hit the sauce after retirement in the late 60s and didn't respond much to help offered by former team mates. Reanney and Charlton, plus the two keepers, Sprake and Harvey, and that's pretty much the lot : extraordinary side with no more than about 15 players being the regulars over a 10 year period. That's from memory so apols for the typos and any omissions. RIP Mr Madeley.

nb Leeds were dirty but never cloggers. Controlled possession football on the floor - 20 years ahead of their time for an English club side.

Even Bite yer Legs Hunter played good football. He just put in very robust tackles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even Bite yer Legs Hunter played good football. He just put in very robust tackles.

Yes.

They were overshadowed by their peculiar manager and the allegtions of attempted match fixing - not greatly alleviated by the fact it was (mad) Derek Dougan who came to their rescue.

I read Shoot magazine in 1970 and Alan Ball had a column - he slagged off the Leeds at every opportunity. The sawn of squeeky-voiced twerp. Ball demonstrated his own superior football insight during his ill-fated managerial 'career' :facepalm: Would have benefitted from teamin up with this bloke, perhaps:

cannon.jpg

I prsonally think that Leeds team, 66 to 76, should be revered not reviled. The dreadful hair styles notwithstanding :facepalm:

Oh, and someone tell me this was not England's first 'black' player of the modern era:

Reanney.jpgreaney.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here