Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Stabbing incident on a bus in Denmark

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
From Canadian journalist André Picard on Twitter today:

Please indulge me for a rare (but brief) thread of personal comments. I was on a city bus in Copenhagen early this morning. A young man clearly suffering from mental illness was screaming angrily. Not an unusual occurrence on urban transport. Passengers ignored him.

Suddenly the man rushed to the front of the bus and began viciously punching and stabbing the driver. A passenger intervened - he disarmed and subdued the man. (Turns out he used to be a police officer in Syria.) Two women in hijabs came to the bus driver's aid.

One was a nurse from Somalia. The other was a nurse from Iraq. (The bus route services a major hospital.) Police arrested the man. The bus driver, despite his injuries, asked police if they could ensure the man got help for his "mental sickness."

The driver (an immigrant from Bangladesh) was loaded on a stretcher to be transported by ambulance. But before leaving he asked to speak to each passenger individually - to assure them he would be okay and *apologize for making them late.*

Denmark, like many Western countries, is having a fierce public debate about the place of immigrants and whether they can adapt to Western culture and values. This incident I witnessed on the city bus was frightening but, in many ways heartening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here