Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Made to measure golf clubs

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A quick question oh knowledgeable bunch. I am what is normally described as short, I also play golf very badly. I have been thinking for some time about getting some clubs to suit my limited height (5' 6"). I am at the age now where I can find time for a little more golf and hope to start to play once or twice a month as opposed to a year!

Has anyone had made to measure clubs and did it make much of a difference?

How can you get a deal on a Black Friday type thing, do Ping or Golf Centres do such a thing?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Custom fitting is the way to go but it isn’t cheap. I had Mizunos custom fitted and they were about £125 a club 4 years ago, well worth it though. I had it done at Royal Eastbourne but they have a fitting centre somewhere in Surrey I think.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I know very little about golf but I do know that in every sport the idea of a silver bullet to miraculously make you better at it is bullshit.

If you have more time to practice then use the time, play more, get better. Then start thinking about splurging tons of cash on the best equipment, not the other way round. Otherwise you just end up being another "all the gear" wanker, which nobody wants to be, apart from wankers obviously.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
frdd-800-600.jpg

These ones are on Ebay.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Go to American Golf discount. Tell them want you want and most importantly your budget. I'm tall and had a set of Rams tweaked to suit my height. Went from 18 handicap to 8 and stayed that way for 4yrs until age and a weak back came into the equation.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have always found American Golf very helpful. However I reckon a few lessons with a professional is likely to help your golf more than a new set of clubs.

Thanks, yes, that's the plan. Have lessons booked, have already had a few and will play minimum of twice a month, hopefully once per week.

To be honest never really got into it, played more frequently lately and have always made do. It's now time to treat myself to a new set to enjoy. I'm a very competitive person but somehow I just really enjoy playing golf.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Go to American Golf discount. Tell them want you want and most importantly your budget. I'm tall and had a set of Rams tweaked to suit my height. Went from 18 handicap to 8 and stayed that way for 4yrs until age and a weak back came into the equation.

I was thinking a set of Ping irons to be around £1k?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I went this route with a set of PING’s. There should be a few fitting centers around you. In addition to fitting for height, they check your swing speed, club head speed and natural swing pattern (fade/draw) I also got a fitting for ball type. Titliest balls are not for most amatures. They work best with swing speeds of over 100 mph ie the pros and very low handicappers. And it will save you some cash as you might find the ball that best fits you will be considerably cheaper. Then add in practice and off you go. Within a few months off using the fitted clubs and ball, my handicap went down by 5 from 17 to 12. Mainly because I was finding the fairway more often!
Hope this helps.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Practice inside 100 yards and on the putting green, both will help the handicap somewhat. I got down to 4.5 thanks to practising a lot but as I've not had the time in the last few years but has gone up to 6.5:nono: Should have more time next year though so hope to get that moving back towards 5.

theboybilly

Once or twice a month won't get your handicap down. You need to take it a bit more seriously than that - 2 times per week or your game will stand still. Practise, practise, practise it's the only way. As has been said I would leave the expense of custom made clubs until you feel ready. Where would you go anyway? I'm not too sure I would go somewhere like American Golf to get advice but would tend to go to a Professional at a well established club. Another way would be to go to the Tented Village at a proper golf event (maybe not as big as The Open ) and see what the various manufacturers say. They will give sound advice and maybe do an 'event deal'. But thats for the future. Just get some practice in with whatever clubs you have.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most golf club pros and manufacturers don't charge for custom fitting. I explored this a while back, but on advice from my club pro it wasn't necessary as I'm apparently bang average height.

Some might charge for an analysis session (I think, for example Callaway in Leatherhead do) but if you buy the cost is knocked off the final bill.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Get your swing sorted out first. No point in spending a fortune on clubs fitted for your swing when, after a few lessons and LOTS of practice, your swing has changed. I also concur with Billy Seagull, practice from 100 yards in for 75% of your practice time. Your scores will improve dramatically no matter what clubs you have.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Also practise your putting. If you have a hall with carpet, putt a yellow ball down it as a jack as in bowls and then putt 6 or more balls at it. Teaches weight of putt and direction.
Get your swing sorted out first. No point in spending a fortune on clubs fitted for your swing when, after a few lessons and LOTS of practice, your swing has changed. I also concur with Billy Seagull, practice from 100 yards in for 75% of your practice time. Your scores will improve dramatically no matter what clubs you have.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

100% this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here