Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

You Are At Queue Position . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    As I’ve recently retired I thought I’d broaden my horizons on the activity front, so I decided to apply to my local council for an allotment plot. As per with everything these days the application had to be done on-line. No problem, went on the site and selected my allotment venues of choice.

The information came back that no plots were available but would I like to be added to the waiting list. I advised that I wished to. Yesterday I received an email informing me that I was at position 120th on the waiting list for Bitterne West allotments and 115th for Bitterne East!

So, boys and girls, don’t expect a selection of curly kale, broccoli or King Edwards any time soon.

P.S. Before anyone else posts it - “Cool story bro!”

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      £5 on Bitterne West please.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Members

0 Not allowed!
      If you dont mind doing a bit of Gardening, have you though about offering out at a local club as a part time groundsman? Im sure plenty of clubs would appreciate the help.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

17 Not allowed!
      You could always try politics instead. I hear they're not too picky about who they choose to run in local elections these days.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As I’ve recently retired I thought I’d broaden my horizons on the activity front, so I decided to apply to my local council for an allotment plot. As per with everything these days the application had to be done on-line. No problem, went on the site and selected my allotment venues of choice.

The information came back that no plots were available but would I like to be added to the waiting list. I advised that I wished to. Yesterday I received an email informing me that I was at position 120th on the waiting list for Bitterne West allotments and 115th for Bitterne East!

So, boys and girls, don’t expect a selection of curly kale, broccoli or King Edwards any time soon.

Is it possible that the same hundred or so people are on both waiting lists, so that effectively you’ve only got to wait for 50 or so plots to become available at each location? Assuming of course that people aren’t allowed to have more than one allotment.
      "They can because they think they can" - Mike Bamber

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post

The waiting lists are managed centrally, but depending on the allotment, plot allocations are sometimes done on site. The people that manage plot allocations often struggle to get through to people on the list - so it really does pay topop down and introduce yourself. Even - dare I say it - make a busy body of yourself to keep on checking to see whether any plots are available. I've found that you will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time on the list as they are keener to allocate to people who seem 'keen'.

Happy grubbing. We had to give ours up soon after our daughter was born but will be back in the act when she's older.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post
      The waiting lists are managed centrally, but depending on the allotment, plot allocations are sometimes done on site. The people that manage plot allocations often struggle to get through to people on the list - so it really does pay topop down and introduce yourself. Even - dare I say it - make a busy body of yourself to keep on checking to see whether any plots are available. I've found that you will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time on the list as they are keener to allocate to people who seem 'keen'.

Happy grubbing. We had to give ours up soon after our daughter was born but will be back in the act when she's older.
      Totally agree with this.
      The more you make a nuisance of yourself, to show real interest, it should reap rewards.
      If there is someone you know, who is struggling on a certain plot, offer to take on half of it, paying them half of the rent.
      Up here people do jump the queues, depending of their situation.

Through MIND (the mental health charity), of a certain age and other health reasons.

Good luck @el punal
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post

I was about to post similar. I was offered half an allotment recently as a friend can't manage theirs, but I don't have the time unfortunately
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Totally agree with this.
      The more you make a nuisance of yourself, to show real interest, it should reap rewards.
      If there is someone you know, who is struggling on a certain plot, offer to take on half of it, paying them half of the rent.
      Up here people do jump the queues, depending of their situation.

Through MIND (the mental health charity), of a certain age and other health reasons.

Good luck @el punal

1 Not allowed!
      Look forward to the update when you finally get offered a plot, aged 92
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18